June 4, 1961|
Freeport, Long Island, New York, United States
|Web||UbuWeb, Aaaaarg, Wikipedia, Academia.edu|
Kenneth Goldsmith (1961) is the founding editor of the online archive of avant-garde, UbuWeb, teaches Poetics and Poetic Practice at the University of Pennsylvania and is senior editor of PennSound, an online poetry archive. He has published ten books of poetry and is the author of a book of essays, Uncreative Writing: Managing Language in a Digital Age (2011). He was the first Poet Laureate of the Museum of Modern Art (2013).
Goldsmith was born in Freeport, New York, to a family employed in the garment industry. He attended various schools in Long Island and Port Washington before receiving a BFA in Sculpture from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1984. From 1995-2010, he was the host of a weekly radio show on New York City's WFMU. He is the editor I'll Be Your Mirror: The Selected Andy Warhol Interviews, which is the basis for an opera, Trans-Warhol, premiered in Geneva in March of 2007. Goldsmith held the The Anschutz Distinguished Fellow Professorship in American Studies at Princeton University for 2009-2010 and received the Qwartz Electronic Music Award in Paris in 2009. In 2011, he co-edited, Against Expression: An Anthology of Conceptual Writing. Later he published a book, Wasting Time on the Internet, based on his class of uncreative writing at the University of Pennsylvania.
His work has been subject to two film documentaries. In March 2018, Goldsmith was honored by a symposium at the Onassis Cultural Center in Athens, Shadow Libraries: UbuWeb in Athens, which included discussions, performances and an exhibition. Participants included Peter Sunde (The Pirate Bay), Marcell Mars, Tom McCarthy, Dušan Barok, Emily Segal, People Like Us, Craig Dworkin, David Desrimais, Dina Kelberman, and Coco Sollfrank. The event was organized and curated by Ilan Manouach.
Goldsmith resides in New York City with artist Cheryl Donegan and their son Finnegan.
- No. 110 10.4.93-10.7.93, Lodz: Artists Museum, 1993, PDF. Chapbook.
- with Joan La Barbara, 73 Poems, Permanent Press, 1994. 
- No. 109 2.7.93-12.15.93, New York: Bravin Post Lee, 1994,  pp, PDF. Chapbook.
- No. 126.96.36.199-10.20.96, Great Barrington, MA: The Figures, 1997, 606 pp, HTML, PDFs: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7.
- Soliloquy, New York: Bravin Post Lee, 1997, 281 pp, (edition of 50); new ed., New York: Granary Books, 2001, 487 pp, HTML, PDF, HTML.
- Gertrude Stein on Punctuation, Newton, NJ: Abaton Books, 1999, PDF. Chapbook.
- 6799, zingmagazine, 2000, 92 pp, PDF.
- Fidget, Toronto: Coach House, 2000, 107 pp, Applet, HTML.
- Inquieto, trans. Carlos Bueno Vera, intro. Esteban Pujals, afterw. Marjorie Perloff, Segovia La Uña Rota, 2014, 159 pp. (Spanish)
- Head Citations, Great Barrington, MA: The Figures, 2002, 88 pp, HTML. Review: Fama.
- Day, Great Barrington, MA: The Figures, 2003, 836 pp, PDF, PDF. . Reviews: Ford, Nufer (Muse Apprentice Guild), Stefans, Raven (Bomb), Goode (Gig), Rubinstein (Art in America).
- The Weather: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Los Angeles: Make Now, 2005, 120 pp. Reviews: Levine (Bookforum), Huppatz, Zultanski (Rain Taxi), Wershler (PoMo Cult).
- Traffic, Los Angeles: Make Now, 2007, 115 pp, HTML, PDF. Reviews: Huppatz, Zultanski (Rain Taxi), Perloff, Wershler (PoMo Cult).
- All The Numbers From Numbers, /ubu Editions, 2008, 21 pp, PDF.
- Sports, Los Angeles: Make Now, 2008, PDF. Reviews: Thomson (Dazed&Confused), Fama, Huppatz, Zultanski (Rain Taxi), Wershler (PoMo Cult).
- Seven American Deaths and Disasters, New York: powerHouse Books, 2013, 176 pp, Log, EPUB.
- Theory, Paris: Jean Boîte, 2015, 500 pp, Log, PDF.
- Capital: New York, Capital of the 20th Century, Verso, 2015, 928 pp, ARG. 
- editor, I'll Be Your Mirror: The Selected Andy Warhol Interviews, New York: Carroll & Graf, 2004, EPUB.
- Interviews mit Andy Warhol, intro. Klaus Theweleit, trans. Susanne Höbel, Kippenheim: Liebig, 2005, 381 pp. (German)
- Entretiens: 1962-1987, trans. Alain Cueff, Paris: Bernard Grasset, 2006, 405 pp. (French)
- Będę twoim lustrem: wywiady z Warholem, trans. Marcin Zawada, Warsaw: Twój Styl, 2006, 391 pp. (Polish)
- Wo jiang shi ni de jing zi: An diWo huo er fang tan jing xuan, Beijing: San lian shu dian, 2007, 463 pp. (Chinese)
- Entrevistas: 1962-1987: treinta y siete entrevistas con el maestro del pop, intro. Reva Wolf, afterw. Wayne Koestenbaum, trans. Ferran Esteve, Barcelona: Blackie Books, 2010, 559 pp. (Spanish)
- Letter To Bettina Funcke / Brief an Bettina Funcke, Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz, 2011, 35 pp. (English)/(German)
- editor, with Craig Dworkin, Against Expression: An Anthology of Conceptual Writing, Evanston, Ill: Northwestern University Press, 2011, Log, PDF.
- Uncreative Writing: Managing Language in the Digital Age, New York: Columbia University Press, 2011, Log, EPUB, HTML.
- Escritura no-creativa: la gestión del lenguaje en la era digital, intro. Reinaldo Laddaga, trans. Alan Page, Buenos Aires: Caja Negra, 2015, 331 pp. Excerpt. (Spanish)
- Uncreative Writing. Sprachmanagement im digitalen Zeitalter, trans. Hannes Bajohr and Swantje Lichtenstein, Berlin: Matthes & Seitz, 2017, 351 pp, ARG. Enlarged edition.  (German)
- L'écriture sans écriture: du langage à l'âge numérique, trans. François Bon, Paris: Jean Boîte, 2018, 248 pp.   (French)
- Je ne me tourne vers la théorie qu’après avoir réalisé que quelqu’un a consacré toute sa vie à une question qui m’avait à peine traversé l’esprit jusqu’alors, trans. Nicolas Garait, Paris: Jeu de Paume, 2013, 68 pp. Audio.    (English)/(French)
- Against Translation: Displacement Is the New Translation, Paris: Jean Boîte, 2016, 8 x 32 pp. 8 books in a box.  (English),(French),(Spanish),(German),(Chinese),(Japanese),(Russian),(Arabic)
- Wasting Time on the Internet: The Art of Mindless Surfing, HarperCollins, 2016, 224 pp, EPUB, AZW3. . Review: Nygård (Kunstkritikk).
- The PXL-MAD Lectures, eds. Arne De Winde, Evelin Brosi and Kris Latoir, Ghent: Het Balanseer, 2017, 100 pp. 
- The Ideal Lecture (In Memory of David Antin), Ghent: Het Balanseer, 2018, 62 pp, Log, PDF. 
- Duchamp Is My Lawyer: The Polemics, Pragmatics, and Poetics of UbuWeb, New York: Columbia University Press, 2020, x+318 pp, Log, EPUB.
Artist's books, Miscellanea
- Kenneth Goldsmith Annotates 'Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus' by Ludwig Wittgenstein, London: Marginalia, 2018, 72 pp. 
- Marcel Duchamp, The Bride Stripped Bare by her Bachelors Even (The Green Box),  2018. Bootleg edition. 
- One Square Kilometer (for Walter De Maria), Aarea.co, 2018, 2568 pp.   
- editor, 1000 Infrathins, University of Pennsylvania, 2018, 121 pp, Log.
- I Declare a Permanent State of Happiness, London: Eris, 2018, 148 pp. A collection of sixty-two new artworks inspired by Wittgenstein's Tractatus.
- Hillary: The Hillary Clinton Emails, ed. Francesco Urbano Ragazzi, Rome: Nero, 2019, 400+12 pp. 
Recent art projects
- Printing Out the Internet, LABOR, Mexico City, May 2013.
- Uncontested Spaces: Guerilla Readings, MoMA Galleries, Jan-Jun 2013. As part of Goldsmith's Poet Laureate program, writers were invited to choose works in MoMA's collection, develop a response, and then select a space in the Museum galleries in which to perform the resulting readings and texts. Participants included David Shields, Sheila Heti, Rick Moody, John Zorn, Stefan Sagmeister, Charles Bernstein, Christian Bök, Vanessa Place, Maira Kalman, Heidi Julavits, Alex Ross, Vito Acconci, and others. Every Friday, from January to July 2013, Goldsmith himself contributed readings in the galleries.
- JSTOR Pirate Headquarters, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, Apr-Aug 2014. 250,000 pages of pirated JSTOR documents (a cache of papers from the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society made available via The Pirate Bay) were printed in tribute to suicided information activist Aaron Swartz. Part of the Smart New World exhibition.   
- HILLARY: The Hillary Clinton Emails, Despar Teatro Italia, Venice, May-Nov 2019. Curated by Francesco Urbano Ragazzi. 
- Marjorie Perloff, "Conversation with Kenneth Goldsmith", Jacket 21, Feb 2003.
- Geir Haraldseth, "The Robin Hood of the Avant-Garde" / "Avantgardens Robin Hood", Kunstkritikk, 2 Mar 2011. (English)/(Norwegian)
- Cornelia Sollfrank, "The Poetry of Archiving, Kenneth Goldsmith", 2013, 21 min. Video. Part of the Giving What You Dont Have project. (English)
- Menachem Feuer, "Ubu Yorker: Berfrois Interviews Kenneth Goldsmith", Berfrois, 15 Sep 2017.
- "Kenneth Goldsmith", RWM Son[i]a 250, Barcelona: MACBA, 12 Dec 2017, 37 min. Audio.
- Peter Gonda, "Básník Kenneth Goldsmith: Poezie nemůže udělat vůbec nic a v tom spočívá její krása", Radio Wave, Prague, 4 Feb 2019, 16 min. Audio and text. (Czech)
- Memorabilia. Collecting Sounds With Kenneth Goldsmith, 4 parts, Radio Web MACBA, 2012.
- Sucking on Words: Kenneth Goldsmith, dir. Simon Morris, 2007, 60 min. Script.
- Context is the New Content, PBS, 2018, 6 min.
- Stephen Cain, "Goldsmith, Kenneth (1961-)", in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poetry, 2005.
- Open Letter: A Canadian Journal of Writing and Theory 12(7): "Kenneth Goldsmith and Conceptual Poetics", eds. & intro. Barbara Cole and Lori Emerson, Strathroy, ON, Fall 2005, 172 pp, HTML. 
- Marjorie Perloff, "‘Moving Information’: On Kenneth Goldsmith’s The Weather", Open Letter 12:7, Fall 2005, pp 85-95.
- Marjorie Perloff, "Conceptual Bridges, Digital Tunnels: Kenneth Goldsmith's Traffic", in Perloff, Unoriginal Genius: Poetry by Other Means in the New Century, University of Chicago Press, 2010, pp 146-166.
- Marjorie Perloff, "Towards a Conceptual Lyric: From Content to Context", Jacket2, 28 Jul 2011. An analysis of Goldsmith’s 2011 performance at the White House.
- Jacquelyn Ardam, "The ABCs of Conceptual Writing", Comparative Literature Studies 51:1, 2014, pp 132-158.
- Katy Waldman, "Frontiers of the Stuplime", Slate, 27 Apr 2015.
- Alec Wilkinson, "Something Borrowed", The New Yorker, 5 Oct 2015.
- Cornelia Sollfrank, "Nothing New Needs to be Created. Kenneth Goldsmith’s Claim to Uncreativity", in No Internet – No Art: A Lunch Byte Anthology, eds. Melanie Bühler and Goethe Institut Washington, Eindhoven: Onomatopee, 2015.
- Leonard Villa-Forte, O autor como apropriador, Serrote 23, Aug 2016. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Darren Wershler, "Kenneth Goldsmith and Uncreative Improvisation", in Improvisation and Social Aesthetics , eds. Georgina Born, Eric Lewis, and Will Straw, Duke University Press, 2017. 
- Daniel Morris, Kenneth Goldsmith's Recent Works on Paper: Exactly Wrong, Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2019, 200 pp.