Arie Altena (1966) studied literary theory and writes about the intersections between art, technology and new media. He curates the Sonic Acts Festival and works as editor and researcher for V2_ Institute for the Unstable Media in Rotterdam. For Sonic Acts he (co-)edited the Kontraste Cahier series and a number of publications. He regularly contributes to magazines such as Open and De Gids and lectures at art academies. In the past he worked for Mediamatic and Metropolis M, he was core tutor at the MA Interactive Media and Environments of the Frank Mohr Institute in Groningen, and he was part of the Ubiscribe-project at the Jan van Eyck Academy, Maastricht. He lives in Amsterdam.
- editor, Unsorted, Thoughts on the Information Arts. Sonic Acts X, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts & De Balie, 2004, 116 pp. . Review: Beekman (Leonardo).
- editor, with Lucas van der Velden, The Anthology of Computer Art. Sonic Acts XI, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2006, 94 pp. 
- editor, with Boris Debackere, The Cinematic Experience. Sonic Acts XII, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2008.  
- editor, The Poetics of Space. Sonic Acts XIII, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2010, 256 pp.  
- editor, Travelling Time. Sonic Acts XIV, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2012, 304 pp.  
- editor, The Dark Universe. Sonic Acts XV, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2013, 334 pp.  
- editor, with Lucas van der Velden and Mirna Belina, The Geologic Imagination. Sonic Acts 2015, Amsterdam: Sonic Acts, 2015, 336 pp. 
- Wat is community art? De sociale wending in de hedendaagse kunst, Rotterdam: V2_, 2016, 76 pp.  (Dutch)
- articles, essays, etc.