In 1968, the Centro de Estudios de Arte y Comunicación [Center for Art and Communications Studies (CEAC)] was created, which, shortly after its first public event at the Galería Bonino (August–September 1969), changed its name to Centro de Arte y Comunicación [Art and Communications Center (CayC)].
Always led by Jorge Glusberg as director and theoretician, the CAyC sponsored several different artists throughout its time. In 1971, the Grupo de los Trece [Group of the Thirteen] was created, made up of Jacques Bedel, Luis Benedit, Gregorio Dujovny, Carlos Gizburg, Víctor Grippo, Jorge González Mir, Vicente Marotta, Luís Pazos, Alfredo Portillos, Juan Carlos Romero, Julio Teich, Horacio Zabala, Alberto Pellegrino, and Jorge Glusberg. Later on, some artists moved on while others were included; in 1975, the CayC Group included the participation of Bedel, Benedit, Grippo, Portillos, and Glusberg.
As part of the interdisciplinary activities undertaken by the CAyC from its beginnings in 1969, the CAyC began to organize courses and seminars offered by prominent intellectuals. Beginning in 1973 with the founding of the Escuela de Altos Estudios del CAyC [School for Higher Learning of the CAyC], these types of offerings became part of the school’s scope. (Source, Source)
Arte de sistemas exhibition
“Arte de sistemas” [Systems Art] was the term coined by Glusberg himself in order to focus some quite different artistic proposals developed around the CAyC. Under this concept, the works of art are understood as sistemas de signos [sign systems], which, in turn, can respond to different códigos [codes]: political, ecological, conceptual, and cybernetic, among others. Thus, beyond the diversity of meanings that are proposed in each work, what is maintained in all of them is their nature of being a system. This implies, at the production level, the possibility of a certain serialization, or a multiplication of the works, as well as the relevance of the creative process that overcomes the finished product itself.
The following artists participated in the Arte de Sistemas exhibition (Buenos Aires: Museo de Arte Moderno, July 1971): Vito Acconci, Eleanor Antin, Arakawa, Sue Arrowsmith, David Askevold, Walter Ave, John Baldessari, Manuel Barbadillo, Robert Barry, Otto Beckmann, Luis Benedit, Mel Bochner, Christian Boltanski, Ian Breakwell, Eugen Brikcius, Stuart Brisley, Stanley Brouwn, Donald Burgy, Don Celender, Jürgen Claus, James Collins, Christo, Agnes Denes, Mirtha Dermisache, Antonio Dias, Geniy Dignac, Gregorio Dujovney, David Dye, Stano Filko, Barry Flanagan, Terry Fox, Herbert Franke, Ken Friedman, Maíz Fulton, Nicolás García Uriburu, Jochen Gerz, Gilbert & George, Carlos Ginzburg, Jorge González Mir, Dan Graham, Víctor Grippo, Klaus Groh, Hans Haacke, Olaf Hanel, Rafael Hastings, Douglas Huebler, Peter Hutchinson, Alain Jacquet, Richards Jarden, Allan Kaprow, On Kawara, Michael Kirby, Alain Kirili, Dusan Klimes, J. H. Kocman, Joseph Kosuth, Uzi Kotler, Christine Kozlov, Alexis Rafael Krasilovsky, Josef Kroutvor, Peter Kuttner, David Lamelas, John Latham, Auro Lecci, Les Levine, Richard Long, Lea Lublin, Jorge Gutiérrez de Luján, Mario Mariño, Vicente Marotta, Charles Mattox, Mario Merz, Mauricio Nannucci, Georg Nees, Dennis Oppenheim, Marie Orensanz, Luis Pazos, Alberto Pellegrino, Alfredo Portillos, Juan Pablo Renzi, Dorotea Rockburne, Juan Carlos Romero, Ed Ruscha, Bernardo Salcedo, Jean Michel Sanejouand, Richard Serra, Petr Stembera, Clorindo Testa, Antonio Trotta, Timm Ulrichs, Franco Vaccari, Jiri Valoch, John Van Saun, Bernar Venet, Edgardo Antonio Vigo, Lawrence Weiner, Ian Wilson, Robert Witman, William Woodrow and Gilberto Zorio. (Source, Source)
- "CAyC: Arte de Sistemas en el Museo de Arte Moderno (GT54)", Buenos Aires, 1971. Exhibition opening announcement.
- Art de sistemas: Centro de Arte y Comunicación [Systems Art], Buenos Aires: Museo de Arte Moderno de la ciudad de Buenos Aires, 1971. Exh. catalogue for the Arte de sistemas [Systems Art] exhibition, Museo de Arte Moderno, Buenos Aires, July 1971.
- Arte de sistemas. Grippo, Pellegrino, Portillos, Buenos Aires: Centro de Arte y Comunicación (CAyC), Jul 1971. 
- Arte de sistemas: el CAYC y el proyecto de un nuevo arte regional 1969-1977, eds. María José Herrera and Mariana Marchesi, Buenos Aires: Fundación OSDE, 2013, 96 pp. (Spanish)
- Mariana Marchesi, "El Cayc y el arte de sistemas como estrategia institucional" [Cayc and the Art Systems as an institutional strategy], Sztuka ameriky lacinskiej 7, 2017, pp 137-163. (Spanish)
- Catherine Spencer, "Navigating Internationalism from Buenos Aires: The Centro de Arte y Comunicación", ARTMargins 10:2, 2021, pp 50-72.  (English)
- Catherine Spencer, "After Dematerialization, Cybernetics: Art, Systems and the Centro de Arte y Comunicación", JHI Blog, Apr 2022. (English)