A resource on Fediverse, federated networks, mesh networks, distributed web, alternative internet, decentralisation.
- Beaker, experimental browser with a p2p protocol, *2016.
- Conversations, open source XMPP/Jabber client for Android, *2014.
- Dat, p2p protocol, a project for distributed data synchronization, *2013.
- Diaspora, self-hosted social networking service, *2010.
- Friendica, distributed social network, *2010.
- GNU social, FLOSS microblogging server, formerly StatusNet, *2014.
- Hubzilla, communication platform. Review.
- IPFS, protocol and p2p network for storing and sharing data in a distributed file system, *2015.
- Mastodon, self-hosted social networking service, *2016.
- PeerTube, federated video platform powered by ActivityPub and WebTorrent, *2018.
- Pump.io, general purpose activity streams engine that can be used as a federated social networking protocol.
- Scuttlebutt, decentralised secure gossip platform.
- YaCy, distributed search engine, *2016.
Resources, art projects
- Alternative Internet, a collection of networks, tools and devices aiming at decentralisation.
- Dat Zine Library, by Zach Manderville.
- Distributed Web of Care, an art project by Taeyoon Choi.
- Founder Interviews, video interviews with developers of decentralization projects, by Irina Bolychevsky, 2013ff.
- Homebrewserver.club, a monthly gathering in Rotterdam for self-hosted services.
- Lurk provides a few community services composed of mailing lists, chat and access to the Fediverse.
- P2P Forever, by Laurel Schwulst.
- The Federation, gathers statistics about nodes in the fediverse.
- Fediverse Network, gathers statistics of oStatus/ActivityPub fediverse.
- The Alternative Internet(s) – State of the Art and the Possible Future, workshop, London School of Economics, London, 15-16 Sep 2014.
- Redecentralize Conference - Taking Back the Net, unconference, London, 17-18 Oct 2015. Organised by Irina Bolychevsky, a.o. Report.
- Radical Networks conference, Integrated Digital Media at Magnet NYU, Brooklyn, NY, 24-25 Oct 2015. Organised by Sarah Grant, Erica Kermani, and Amelia Marzec, in partnership with Eyebeam.
- Decentralized Web Summit, Internet Archive, San Francisco, 7-9 Jun 2016.
- Radical Networks conference, Chem Creative, Brooklyn, NY, 4-6 Nov 2016. Organised by Sarah Grant, Erica Kermani, and Amelia Marzec, in partnership with Eyebeam. Second edition. Exhibition photographs.
- Our Networks, conference, Claude T. Bissell building, Toronto, 14 Jan 2017. First edition.
- Relearn 2017, Poortgebouw, Rotterdam, 29 Aug-2 Sep 2017. Documentation (2019). More.
- Radical Networks conference, Chem Creative, Brooklyn, NY, 19-22 Oct 2017. Organised by Sarah Grant and Erica Kermani. Third edition.
- Peer-to-Peer Web NYC, School for Poetic Computation, New York, 26 May 2018. Presented by New Computer Working Group.  
- Our Networks: State of Our Networks: Beyond DIY: Do It With Others, Mozilla Community Space, Toronto, 13-18 Jul 2018. Second edition.
- Decentralized Web Summit 2018: Global Visions / Working Code, annual conference, Internet Archive, San Francisco, 31 Jul-2 Aug 2018. Second edition.
- Local Area Network, InterAccess, Toronto, Aug 2018.
- Radical Networks conference, Spektrum, Berlin, 19-21 Oct 2018. Organised by Sarah Grant and Erica Kermani. Fourth edition.
- Redecentralize Party, Newspeak House, London, 29 Oct 2018. Organised by Irina Bolychevsky.
- Networks with an Attitude, worksession, Antwerp, 7-13 Apr 2019. Developed by Constant in collaboration with ooooo, Varia and amongst others Samenschool, City harbour, Wireless Antwerp.
- Relearn 2019, Varia, Rotterdam, 7-9 Jun 2019; Hacktiris, Brussels, 21-22 Jun 2019; La Générale, Paris, 6-8 Sep 2019. More.
- DWeb Camp, Pescadaro, CA, 18-21 Jul 2019. Interview. Report. 
- Our Networks: RE: Infrastructures of, Toronto Media Arts Centre, Toronto, 20-22 Sep 2019. Third edition.
- Deplatformization and the Ethics of Exclusion, symposium session, part of transmediale festival, Volksbühne - Großes Haus, Berlin, 1 Feb 2020.
- Feminist Server Summit, "A Feminist Server Manifesto 0.01", 2014.
- Robert W. Gehl, "The Case for Alternative Social Media", Social Media + Society 1:2, Sep 2015.
- hbsc & friends, "Have You Considered the Alternative?", HomebrewServer.Club, 9 Mar 2017.
- Danyl Strype, "A Brief History of the GNU Social Fediverse and ‘The Federation’", Disintermedia, 1 Apr 2017, with updates.
- Darius Kazemi, "Run your own social: How to run a small social network site for your friends", 8 Jul 2019.
- Pervasive Labour Union 13: "Fed Up!", ed. Lídia Pereira, Rotterdam, Sep 2019,  pp, PDF.
- Networks Of Ones Own 1: "Etherbox", eds. Michael Murtaugh, An Mertens, Roel Roscam Abbing, and Femke Snelting, Brussels: Constant, Sep 2019.
- Networks Of Ones Own 2: "Three Takes on Taking Care", Rotterdam: Varia, Oct 2019.
- Telecommunications Reclaimed: A Hands-On Guide to Networking Communities, eds. Mélanie Dulong de Rosnay and Félix Tréguer, Internet Society, Dec 2019, 255 pp, PDF. 
- Aymeric Mansoux, Roel Roscam Abbing, "Seven Theses on the Fediverse and the Becoming of FLOSS", in The Eternal Network: The Ends and Becomings of Network Culture, eds. Kristoffer Gansing and Inga Luchs, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, and Berlin: transmediale e.V., Feb 2020, pp 124-140.
communities of practice
Art and technology centres,
Internet of things,