Ivan Mečl (1968) is an artist, art critic, publisher and curator based in Vrané nad Vltavou near Prague. He runs the publishing house and design studio Divus, founded in 1992 and dedicated to international, progressive, nonofficial or marginal(ised) contemporary visual art. Divus publishes the review Umělec [Artist] in Czech, English, German (occassionally also Spanish, Russian and Chinese) editions (since 1997), artists' books, and also organises exhibitions, performances, interventions, manifestations and other events. In 2014, Divus moved to its new premises, Perla, in the former paper mill in Vrané nad Vltavou near Prague, while it also has offices in London, Berlin and elsewhere. In 2013, he received the Věra Jirousová Award for his contribution to art criticism.
- Articles in Umělec (multiple languages)
- Petr Štengl, "Marnost je svoboda. Rozhovor s vydavatelem časopisu Umělec Ivanem Mečlem", Psí víno 49, Sep 2009, pp 7-8. (Czech)
- Marie Voslářová, "Mečl, Ivan", iliteratura.cz, 20 Jan 2017. (Czech)
- Jiří Ptáček, "Medaile pro hnidopichy", Novy prostor 418, 2013. (Czech)
- Josef Ledvina, "Mečlova Perla", Art+Antiques 11, 2014. (Czech)