The Brno House of Arts
The Brno House of Arts is a contributory organization of the statutory City of Brno. Although its current focus is primarily on contemporary art, it has been an integral part of Brno's cultural life for almost 100 years. The Brno House of Arts is an open, modern institution, which mediates and initiates contact between artists and the public at large. It has a long tradition of being one of the most significant influences on Brno's culture, and aims to become a dynamic space through integration into a network of prestigious European galleries. The Brno House of Arts is one cultural institution with two exhibition locations and three gallery spaces:
- The Brno House of Arts located at Malinovského náměstí
This original Secession era building (Kaiser Franz-Josefs-Jubiläums Künstlerhaus) was rebuilt in the Functionalist style according to architectural plans by Bohuslav Fuchs in 1946-47. In 2008 and 2009 extensive reconstruction took place based on a project designed by Petr Hrůša.
- The House of the Lords of Kunštát
This Renaissance building located in Dominikánská Street has belonged to The Brno House of Arts since 1958. Gallery G99 and art cafe Trojka can also be found in this complex.
- Galerie G99
Gallery G99, focused on the presentation of the activities by the youngest generation of artists has been an independent component of The Brno House of Arts since 2000. Until March 2003 Gallery G99 was located in Benešova Street when it was moved to its current location on the groundfloor of The House of the Lords of Kunštát.
- Jana Vránová, Lubomír Slavíček (eds.), 90 let Domu umění města Brna. Historie jednoho domu, Brno, 2000. (Czech)
- External links