- 1 Works
- 2 Artists, scholars, initiatives
- 3 Collections, archives
- 4 Online repositories
- 5 Resources
- 6 Literature
- 7 Exhibitions
- Pre-1945 avant-garde
- Ur. Cahiers pour un dictat culturel, 3+7 numbers, ed. Maurice Bismuth, Paris: Brunidor, 1950-53 (nos. 1-3) & 1963-67 (nos. 1-7).  
- Ion. Centre de création, 1 issue, ed. Marc-Gilbert Guillaumain [Marc’O], Apr 1952, 286 pp. 
- Internationale situationniste. Bulletin central éd. par les sections de l'Internationale situationniste, 12 numbers, ed. Guy-Ernest Debord, Paris, Jun 1958-Sep 1969, HTML. (French)
- Internationale Situationniste. Réédition d’articles (Supplement a 4 Millions de Jeunes Travailleurs), Paris: Les Amis de 4 millions de jeunes travailleurs, , 44 pp.
- Internacional Situacionista, 1: La realización del arte, numbers 1-6, trans. Luis Navarro, 1999. (Spanish)
- Spur. Organ der Situationistischen Internationale, 7 numbers, ed. Gruppe Spur, Munich, Aug 1960-Jan 1961.   (German)
- The Situationist Times, 6 numbers, eds. Jacqueline de Jong (1-6) and Noël Arnaud (1-2), Hengelo (NL), Copenhagen and Paris, May 1962-Dec 1967. Numbers 4 & 5, Sample pages, Context, CCIndex. (English)
- Situationistisk revolution: centralorgan for den skandinaviske sektion af situationistisk internationale, 3 numbers, ed. J.V. Martin, 1962 & 1967 & Oct 1970; repr., Aarhus: After Hand, 2013.    (Danish)
- Der Deutsche Gedanke. Organ der Situationistischen Internationale für Mitteleuropa, 1 issue, ed. Raoul Vaneigem, Brussels, Apr 1963. First issue of the Internationale situationniste in Germany, Der Deutsche Gedanke was meant to replace Spur after the exclusion of the group. . (German)
- Art-Language, 1969-78. First issue carried the subtitle The Journal of Conceptual Art. Covers, , .
- Polja, ed. Slobodan Tišma, Novi Sad, c1971. (Serbo-Croatian)
- Új Symposion, Novi Sad: Tribina mladih, c1971. (Hungarian)
- Index, Novi Sad, c1971. Student magazine. (Serbo-Croatian)
- The Fox, eds. Art & Language, New York, 1975-76. CCIndex.
- Vision, 5 issues, ed. Tom Marioni, San Francisco: Crown Point Press, 1975-81. Issue 1.
- Red-herring, New York: C.I.F., 1977-78. CCIndex.
- Mail art
- File, ed. General Idea (AA Bronson, Felix Partz & Jorge Zontal), Toronto, 1972-89.
- Vile, eds. Anna Banana and Bill Gaglione, San Francisco, 1974-83. 
- Ephemera: a monthly journal of mail and ephemeral works, 12 issues, eds. Ulises Carrión, Aart van Barneveld and Salvador Flores, Amsterdam: Other Books and So, 1977-78.
- Commonpress, c48 numbers, eds. Pawel Petasz et al., 1977-90. Issues: #1, #3 #5, #6, #8, and many others available via Lomholt Mail Art Archive.
- Umbrella, ed. Judith Hoffberg, 1978-2008. The journal covered news and reviews of artists' books, mail art and contemporary art and photography tradebooks.
- PhotoStatic; Retrofuturism; Psrf magazines, 1983-1998.
- Yawn: Art Strike 1990-1993, 45 numbers, 1989-1992.
- The Neo, 10+2 numbers, ed. Monty Cantsin, Montreal, 1979-81. Last two numbers published with the title Organ.
- PhotoStatic, 41 numbers, ed. Lloyd Dunn, Aug 1983-Jan 1993.
- SMILE, ed. Monty Cantsin, Feb 1984-95.   
- Retrofuturism, 11+6 numbers, ed. Tape-beatles, Jan 1988-Apr 1993.
- Yawn, 38 numbers, Sep 1989-Mar 1993, Log.
- Re:Action newsletter, 10 numbers, ed. Stewart Home, Winter 1994-Spring 1999.
- Psrf, 2 numbers, ed. Lloyd Dunn, Oct 1997-Oct 1998.
- Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Joan Lyons, Utah: Gibbs Smith Publishers, 1985.
Artists, scholars, initiatives
- Beau Geste Press
- Delphine Bedel
- Sarah Bodman
- Boekie Woekie
- Ulises Carrión
- Karen Di Franco
- Johanna Drucker
- Franklin Furnace
- Michael Gibbs
- Annette Gilbert
- Mikhail Karasik
- Leandro Katz
- J.H. Kocman
- Antoine Lefebvre
- Lucy R. Lippard
- Kristen Mueller
- Clive Phillpot
- Printed Matter
- Ed Ruscha
- Guy Schraenen
- David Senior
- MoMA Library, New York. 
- Franklin Furnace Artists' Books Collection, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY.
- Smithsonian Libraries, Washington, DC.
- Archive Artist Publications, by Hubert Kretschmer, Munich.
- Research Centre for Artists' Publications, Weserburg, Bremen
- John M. Flaxman Library: Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection, at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC)
- Thomas J. Watson Library, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Tate Library and Archive, London
- Artists' books on Monoskop Log
- Artists' Books Online, an online repository of facsimiles, metadata, and criticism. Director: Johanna Drucker, project manager: Eric Rettberg.
- Post-Digital Publishing Archive, Projects and Artworks at the Intersection of Publishing and Digital Technology. Maintained by Silvio Lorusso.
- La Bibliothèque Fantastique, an artist’s books virtual publisher. Ed. Antoine Lefebvre.
- Booknesses: Artists' Books From the Jack Ginsberg Collection. Contents.
- Kunstenaarsboeken (artists' books) uit Nederland en België deel 1: de jaren '70 en '80, blog. (Dutch)
- The Expansion of the Artist Book, 1960-1980, Archivo Lafuente. (English)/(Spanish)
- Transforming Artist Books, research project, Tate, 2012.
- What Is an Artist Book?, curated by Giorgio Maffei, Palacete del Embarcadero, Santander, Aug 2014-Jan 2015.
- Livro de Artista, blog about the collection at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- What will be the canon for the artist’s book in the 21st Century?, a research project by the University of the West of England, 2008-10.
- Collecting Books: A conceptual snapshot of the arts in book form. Austrian art books and artists’ books selected by Bernhard Cella.
- Artzines.net, blog on artists’ publications.
- Artists' Books & Multiples, blog by Dave Dyment.
- Artists' Books in South Africa, ed. David Paton, est. 2006. Feat. Database of South African Artists' Books.
- tumblr of the MoMA Library staff.
- Stéphane Mallarmé, "The Book, Spiritual Instrument" [c1898], trans. Michael Gibbs, New Wilderness Letter 11, Dec 1982, pp 1-5. (English)
- El Lissitzky, "Unser Buch", in Gutenberg Jahrbuch 1927, ed. Alois Ruppel, Mainz: Gutenberg-Gesellschaft, 1926-27. (German)
- Ulises Carrión, "El arte nuevo de hacer libros", Plural (literary supplement in newspaper Excélsior) 4:41, México, Feb 1975, pp 33-38. Written in Amsterdam in May 1974.  (Spanish)
- "The New Art of Making Books", Kontexts 6-7, Maastricht, 1975; repr. in Contents, Warsaw: Remont Gallery, 1976; repr. in Art Contemporary 3:1, San Francisco, 1977; repr. in Carrión, Second Thoughts, Amsterdam: VOID, 1980; repr. in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985; repr. in Ulises Carrion: We have won! Haven’t we?, ed. Guy Schraenen, Amsterdam: Fodor Museum, 1992. (English)
- more translations
- Lucy R. Lippard, "The Artist's Book Goes Public", Art in America, Jan-Feb 1977; repr. in Lippard, Get the Message? A Decade of Art for Social Change, E.P. Dutton, 1984, pp 48-52; repr. in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 45-48. (English)
- Richard Kostelanetz, "Book Art", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 27-30, HTML. (English)
- Lucy R. Lippard, "Conspicuous Consumption: New Artists' Books", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 49-59. (English)
- Shelley Rice, "Words and Images: Artists' Books as Visual Literature", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 59-85. (English)
- Barbara Moore, Jon Hendricks, "The Page as Alternative Space: 1950 to 1969", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 87-95. (English)
- Clive Phillpot, "Some Contemporary Artists and Their Books", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 97-132. (English)
- Robert C. Morgan, "Systemic Books by Artists", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 207-222. (English)
- Johanna Drucker, "The Self-Conscious Codex: Artists' Books and Electronic Media", SubStance 26(1): "Metamorphoses of the Book", 1997, pp 93-112. (English)
- Duncan Chappell, "Typologising the Artist's Book", Art Libraries 28:4 (2003), pp 12-20. (English)
- Johanna Drucker, "The Artist's Book as an Agent of Social Change", in Drucker, The Century of Artists' Books, 2nd ed., New York: Granary Books, 2004, pp 287-308. (English)
- Janneke Adema, Gary Hall, "The Political Nature of the Book: On Artists' Books and Radical Open Access", New Formations 78:1, 2013, pp 138-156.   (English)
- Tony White, "The Evolution of Artists’ Publishing", Art Documentation 33:2 (Sep 2014), pp 227-242. (English)
- Amanda C.R. Clark, "Contemporary Chinese Artists' Books: New Artistic Voices in a Time of Transition", Art Documentation 34:1 (Spring 2015), pp 15-28. (English)
- Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Joan Lyons, Utah: Gibbs Smith Publishers, and Visual Studies Workshop Press, 1985. TOC, TOC. (English)
- Everything in the World: A Book Arts Reader, ed. Harry Reese, 2007. For an UCSB class.
- Susan Compton, World Backwards: Russian Futurist Book 1912-1916, London: British Library, 1978, 136 pp. (English)
- Llibres d'artista / Artists' Books, ed. Tous i Giner Rafael, trans. Glòria Picazo, Barcelona: Metroǹom, 1981. (Catalan)/(English)
- Johanna Drucker, The Century of Artists’ Books, New York: Granary Books, 1995; 2nd ed., 2004, 377 pp. ch 1, ch 1.  (English)
- Stephen Bury, Artists’ Books: the Book as a Work of Art, 1963-1995, Aldershot: Scolar Press, 1995. (English)
- Charles Alexander (ed.), Talking the Boundless Book: Art, Language, & the Book Arts, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, 1995, 144 pp. (English)
- Stefan Klima, Artists Books: A Critical Survey of the Literature, New York: Granary Books, 1998, 104 pp. Excerpt, . (English)
- Artist/Author: Contemporary Artists' Books, eds. Cornelia Lauf and Clive Phillpot, New York: Art Publishers, 1998. (English)
- Renée Riese Hubert, Judd D. Hubert, The Cutting Edge of Reading: Artists’ Books, New York: Granary Books, 1999, 280 pp.  (English)
- Jaroslav Andel, Avant Garde Book Design, 1900-1950, New York: Delano Greenidge, 2002, 388 pp. Review: Margolin (DI 2003). (English)
- Rob Perrée, Cover to Cover: The Artist's Book in Perspective, Rotterdam: NAi Publishers, 2002. (English)
- In Numbers: Serial Publications by Artists Since 1955, eds. Philip E Aarons and Andrew Roth, Zurich: JRP Ringier, 2009, 440 pp.  (English)
- Sarah Bodman, Tom Sowden, A Manifesto for the Book, Bristol: Impact Press, 2010, 185 pp. (English)
- Anna Sigrídur Arnar, The Book as Instrument: Stéphane Mallarmé, The Artist's Book, and the Transformation of Print Culture, University of Chicago Press, 2011, xi+395 pp.  . Reviews: Salsbury (AiP 2012), Roos (CAA 2012), Norrick-Rühl (PRQ 2012), Wiedenfeld (MLN 2013), Abbott (H-France 2013), Palermo (AB 2013), Melot (BBF 2013 FR). (English)
- Bernhard Cella, Collecting Books: A Selection of Recent Art and Artists' Books Produced in Austria, Bernhard Cella / Hotel Ostblick, 2012, 150 pp.   (English)
- Clive Phillpot, Booktrek: Selected Essays on Artists' Books (1972-2010), ed. Lionel Bovier, Zurich: JRP Ringier, 2013, 286 pp.  (English)
- Danske kunstnerbøger / Danish Artists' Books, eds. Thomas Hvid Kromann, Louise Hold Sidenius, Maria Kjær Themsen and Marianne Vierø, Copenhagen: Møller, and Cologne: Walther König, 2013, 300 pp. (Danish)/(English)
- Annette Gilbert (ed.): Reprint: Appropriation (&) Literature, Wiesbaden: Lux Books, 2014, 580 pp.  (English)
- Antoine Lefebvre, Portrait de l'artiste en éditeur, L'édition comme pratique artistique alternative, Paris: Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2014, 760 pp. PhD dissertation. (French)
- Albert Coers, Kunstkatalog—Katalogkunst. Der Ausstellungskatalog als künstlerisches Medium am Beispiel von Thomas Demand, Tobias Rehberger und Olafur Eliasson, Berlin: De Gruyter, 2015. (German)
- The Art of Collaboration: Poets, Artists, Books, eds. Anca Cristofovici and Barbara Montefalcone, Cuneiform Press, 2015, 198 pp. Based on the symposium ‘'Collaboration and the Artist’s Book: a Transatlantic Perspective held at the University of Caen, France, March-April 2011.  (English)
- Annette Gilbert (ed.), Publishing as Artistic Practice, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 304 pp, 2016. TOC, Weinmayr's essay. Workshop.  (English)
- Nicholas Thoburn, Anti-Book: On the Art and Politics of Radical Publishing, University of Minnesota Press, 2016, xvi+372 pp. (English)
- Nancy Perloff, Explodity: Sound, Image, and Word in Russian Futurist Book Art, Los Angeles: Getty Publications, 2016 208 pp. Online companion.  (English)
- The Journal of Artists' Books, ed. Brad Freeman, since 1994.  (English)
- Book Arts Newsletter, ed. Sarah Bodman, since 2002. Every four-six weeks. (English)
- The Blue Notebook: Journal for Artists' Books, since 2006.  (English)
- Art Documentation 1(6): "An ABC of Artists’ Books Collections", ed. Clive Phillpot, ARLIS/NA, Dec 1982, 13 pp. Special section of the journal. (English)
- Visible Language 25(2-3): "The Artist’s Book: The Text and Its Rivals", ed. Renée Riese Hubert, Apr 1991. (English)
- Art Libraries 32(2): "Artists' ́Books", 2007. Abstracts. (English)
- Art Libraries 38(3): "Artists' ́Publications", 2013. Abstracts. (English)
- La Trobe Journal 95: "Creating and Collecting Artists' Books in Australia", eds. Des Cowley, Robert Heather and Anna Welch, Melbourne: State Library Victoria, 2015. (English)
- Livres d'artistes, ed. Anne Moeglin-Delcroix, Paris: Centre Pompidou & Herscher, 1985. Exh. held Jun-Oct 1985. (French)
- Audrey Isselbacher, Iliazd and the Illustrated Book, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1987, 85 pp.  (English)
- Ralph Jentsch, The Artist and the Book in Twentieth-Century Italy, Turin: Umberto Allemandi, and New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1992, 341 pp.  (English)
- Riva Castleman, A Century of Artists Books, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1994, 263 pp.  (English)
- The Journal of Artists' Books 12: "Experimental Narrative and Artists' Books", ed. Johanna Drucker, Fall 1999, JPGs.
- Artists’ Books in the Ginsberg Collection, with some South African Books from Other Collections, eds. Jack M. Ginsberg and David M. Paton, Johannesburg, 1996. Exh. held at Johannesburg Art Gallery, 25 Aug-27 Oct 1996. (English)
- The Journal of Artists' Books 15: "Book Unbound", ed. Cathy Byrd, Spring 2001, JPGs.
- Guy Schraenen, Out of Print: An Archive as Artistic Concept, Bremen: Neues Museum Weserburg, 2001, 255 pp. Selection of 700 works and documents drawn from the Archive for Small Press & Communication (ASPC) founded by Anner Marsily and Guy Schraenen in 1974.  (English)
- Margit Rowell, Deborah Wye, The Russian Avant-Garde Book, 1910-1934, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2002, 304 pp. Online companion.  (English)
- El libro ruso de vanguardia, 1910-1934, New York: Museum of Modern Art, and Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, 2003, 304 pp. (Spanish)
- Matthias Herrmann, Artists' Books, Revisited, Toronto: Art Metropole, 2005, 72 pp.  (English)
- David Paton, Navigating the Bookscape: Artists' Books and the Digital Interface, forew. Jack Ginsberg, Johannesburg, 2006, 39 pp, HTML. Exh. held at Aardklop Arts Festival, Potchefstroom, South Africa, 25-30 Sep 2006; FADA Gallery, University of Johannesburg, South Africa, 5-13 Oct 2006. (English)
- Guy Schraenen, Un coup de livres (una tirada de libros). Libros de artista y otras publicaciones del Archive for Small Press & Communication. Artists' Books and other Publications from the Archive for Small Press & Communication, Madrid: Fundación Juan March, 2010, 133+44 pp.  (Spanish)/(English)
- Thanks for Sharing! Artzine Exhibition and Symposium, ed. Regine Ehleiter, Leipzig: D21 Kunstraum, 2010, 62 pp. (English),(German)
- TEXTures: An Exhibition of Texts, Textures and Structure in Artists' Books, eds. Jack Ginsberg, David Paton and Rosalind Cleaver, 2014, 27 pp, HTML. Exh. held at Library and Information Centre, Doornfontein Campus, University of Johannesburg, 5 Mar-18 Apr 2014. (English)
- An Encyclopedia of Everything, ed. Cheryl Penn, Durban, 2014, 228 pp. Exh. held at Park Contemporary Gallery, KZNSA, Durban, 7-26 Oct 2014. (English)
- Sequence 1: Dutch Artist's Books in International Perspective, Groningen: Minerva Art Academy, 2015, 57 pp. Exh. held in the Koepelzaal of Academie Minerva, Groningen. (English)
- Reading list for artists’ books, compiled from books held in the library at Bower Ashton, UWE Bristol and the Centre for Fine Print Research
See also exhibition catalogues above.
- Artists Books, Moore College of Art, Philadelphia, 23 Mar-20 Apr 1973; University Art Museum, U California, Berkeley, 16 Jan-24 Feb 1974. Curated by Dianne Vanderlip; the first major exhibition of artists’ books in the United States; 77pp catalogue published.
- Elements and Unknowns, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Sep-Nov 2008. Organised by May Castleberry. 
- Millennium Magazines, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Feb-May 2012. Organised by Rachael Morrison and David Senior. 
- Diamond Leaves:Brilliant Artist Books from Around the World, CAFA Art Museum, Beijing, 2012. Curated by Xu Bing and Marshall Weber. 
- Reading List: Artists' Selections from the MoMA Library Collection, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Sep 2013-Jan 2014. Organised by Rachael Morrison and Lori Salmon. 
- Artist/Novelist, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Jan-Mar 2014. Organised by Jennifer Tobias. 
- It is not new, it is a book, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Sep 2014-May 2015. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- I call them simply books, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, May-Oct 2015. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- More than a catalogue: The catalogue-boxes of the Museum Abteiberg-Mönchengladbach (1967-1978), Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Oct 2015-Apr 2016. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- The Electro-Library: European Avant-Garde Magazines from the 1920s, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Mar-Jun 2016. Curated by David Senior.
- Back in Time with Time-Based Works: Artists' Books at Franklin Furnace, 1976–1980, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Sep 2016-Jan 2017. Curated by Martha Wilson, Michael Katchen and David Senior.
- I Am Also not a Book, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Sep 2016-May 2017. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- Artists' Books for Everything, Center for Artists' Publications, Weserburg, Bremen, Jun-Aug 2017. Curated by Anne Thurmann-Jajes and Bettina Brach. Organised in collaboration with the University of Bremen.
| Artists' cultures
or, sets of techniques and practices bringing together communities of artists, makers and writers
Avant-garde and modernist magazines, Artists' publishing, Graphic design, Photography, Typewriter art, Multimedia environments, Design research, Video activism, Urban practices, Zine culture, Demoscene, VJing, Live cinema, Media labs, Cyberfeminism, Community television, Hacktivism, Art servers, Hackerspaces, CD-ROM art, Circuit bending, Pure Data, Media archives, VVVV, Maker culture, Glitch art, 3D printing, Live coding, Locative media, Libre graphics, Electromagnetism, Surf clubs, DIY biology, Post-digital, Neural aesthetics.