Vannevar Bush (1890–1974) was an American engineer, inventor and science administrator. He was the initiator of the Manhattan Project, and is also known in engineering for his work on analog computers, for founding Raytheon, and for the memex, an adjustable microfilm viewer with a structure analogous to that of the World Wide Web.
Bush on memex
- "Mechanization and the Record", Fortune, 1939. Contains the first published description of the memex. Later reworked into "As We May Think".
- "As We May Think", Atlantic Monthly 176 (July 1945), pp 101-108. Condensed version with illustrations reprinted in Life (10 Sep 1945), pp 112-124. Repr. in Endless Horizons, Washington, D.C.: Public Affairs Press, 1946, pp 16-38. , TXT. A copy of the article with Douglas Engelbart's notes in the margins, .
- "As We May Think", trans. Regina Winter, form diskurs 1:2 (1997), pp 136-147. German translation of the parts 6-8, with commentary by Hartmut Winkler. HTML.
- "Cómo podríamos pensar", trans. Ernesto Arbeloa, Revista de Occidente 239 (March 2001). (Spanish) 
- "Tel que nous pourrions penser", trans. Ch. Monnatte. French translation of an excerpt.
- "Como podemos pensar", trans. Marcelo Stoppa A. Corrêa, Furabolo.org, 2013. (Portuguese)
- "Memex II", in From Memex to Hypertext, London: Academic Press, 1991. Manuscript draft dated August 1957.
- "Memex Revisited", in Science Is Not Enough, New York: William Morrow, 1967, pp 75-101; reprinted in From Memex to Hypertext, London: Academic Press, 1991, pp 197-216; repr. in New Media, Old Media, eds. Wendy Hui Kyong Chun and Thomas Keenan, Routledge, 2006, pp 85-95.
- Endless Horizons, Washington, D.C.: Public Affairs Press, 1946. Collection of papers and addresses.
- Science Is Not Enough, New York: William Morrow, 1967, 192 pp.
- James Nyce, Paul Kahn (eds.), From Memex to Hypertext: Vannevar Bush and the Mind's Machine, London: Academic Press, 1991.
- Da Memex a hypertext: Vannevar Bush e la Macchina della Mente, Padova: Franco Muzzio, 1992, 270 pp. (Italian) 
On Bush and memex
- Jerome B. Wiesner, Vannevar Bush, 1890-1974: A Biographical Memoir, Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Sciences, 1979.
- G. Pascal Zachary, Endless Frontier: Vannevar Bush, Engineer of the American Century, MIT Press, 1999, 528 pp. 
- Richard Yeo, "Before Memex: Robert Hooke, John Locke, and Vannevar Bush on External Memory", Science in Context 20:1 (2007), pp 21-47.
- Belinda Barnet, "The Technical Evolution of Vannevar Bush’s Memex", Digital Humanities Quarterly 2:1 (2008).
- "Internet Pioneers: Vannevar Bush", undated.