Kaira M. Cabañas
(Redirected from Cabanas)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kaira M. Cabañas is a specialist in modern and contemporary art of the Americas and Europe. Her research and teaching engage a series of aesthetic and cultural debates that situate her work’s significance at the intersection of various disciplines, including art history, film studies, Latin American Studies, and, more recently, transatlantic exchanges in art and psychiatry. Cabañas received her BA in Comparative Area Studies with a focus on Latin America and Western Europe from Duke University, and her MA and PhD in Art and Archaeology with a Graduate certificate in Media and Modernity from Princeton University.
- editor, Seven Circles / Seven Sounds: Lothar Baumgarten, Bregenz: Kunsthaus Bregenz, 2009.
- editor, Common Love, Aesthetics of Becoming: Columbia University MFA Alumni, New York: Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery, 2011.
- editor, Specters of Artaud: Language and the Arts in the 1950s, Madrid: Museo Reina Sofía, 2012, 177 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- The Myth of Nouveau Réalisme: Art and the Performative in Postwar France, Yale University Press, 2013, 197 pp. Based on author's dissertation Toward a Performative Realism: Art in France 1957-1963, Princeton U, 2007. Reviews: Considine (Art J 2013), Rolez (Critique d'art 2013 FR). (English)
- Off-Screen Cinema: Isidore Isou and the Lettrist Avant-Garde, University of Chicago Press, 2014, PDF, ARG. (English)
- editor, Laercio Redondo: Intimacies / Proximidades, Rio de Janeiro: Museu de Arte Moderna, and Berlin: The Green Box, 2016, 128 pp.  (English)/(Brazilian Portuguese)
- Expressive Restraint: Modern Art and Madness in Brazil and Beyond, (forthcoming).