European Cultural Backbone
The initial member organisations that participated in the ECB launch meeting in March 1999 included: Ars Electronica (A), ARTEC (UK), De Balie (NL), C3 Center for Culture & Communication(H), CRAC Media Centre (S), cybeRex/Cinema REX (YU), e-Lab (LV), FACT (UK), Glass Palace Media Centre (FI), Ljudmila Digital Media Lab (SLO), Open Studio/WRO Foundation (PL), Public Netbase/t0 (A), STEIM (NL), Terravista (PT), V2 Organisatie (NL), De Waag/ Society for Old and New Media (NL).
- Oct 1997: Dutch Virtueel Platform organizes conference The Practice to Policy (P2P) conference: Towards A European Media Culture, Amsterdam and Rotterdam
- 1-3 Oct 1998: Launch of position paper ‘Networking Centres of Innovation’ at the Cultural Competence conference, Linz, http://competence.netbase.org
- 4-7 Mar 1999: ECB meets in Rabenstein, Austria, link
- 1999: Publication of the book New Media Culture in Europe, containing many newly commissioned texts from ECB members and published by the Virtual Platform.
- 1999: launch of the Hybrid Media Lounge, database of new media culture practitioners in Europe, of which a Cdrom is included in the publication New Media Culture in Europe, http://www.medialounge.net/
- 1999: ECB meets in Helsinki, on the occasion of the event ‘Connected: networked media culture in a changing Europe’
- 10-11 Jul 2000: ECB meets in Brussels, on the occasion of the launch of the World-Information.Org exhibition. http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0007/msg00051.html
- 2001: Official launch ECB website, including new Medialounge, Amsterdam; ECB meets