OSTRANENIE was the international forum of exchange and debate held at the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation in Dessau which examined the electronic media as a borderless guarantor of cultural diversification and national expression between Eastern and Western Europe. Initiated by Stephen Kovats and Inke Arns.
The four OSTRANENIE events of 1993, 1995, 1997 and 1999 presented video works, multi-media installations, net based projects, performances, and discussion fora which reflected the historical Bauhaus’ fusion of art and technology as a means of redefining the structure of a society in transition.
- OSTranenie '93: Shattered Myths - New Realities. 1st International Video Festival at the Bauhaus Dessau, 4-7 Nov 1993,  Catalogue  (edited by Inke Arns & Elisabeth Tharandt, German/English/Russian)
- 5-9 Nov 1997 Catalogue
- 30 Oct 1999, Aula, Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, Finissage: The Media Revolution symposium; Publication & CD ROM launch; Celebration.
- Stephen Kovats (ed.), Media Revolution. Electronic Media in the Transformation Process of Eastern and Central Europe. (German title: Ost-West Internet.) Edition Bauhaus 6, Campus Verlag, Frankfurt/M. and New York, 1999. 381 pp., illus. (All texts Engl. and German.) ISBN: 3-593-36365-8. With CD-Rom: Ostranenie 93 - 95 - 97. Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, Dessau, 1999. Mac & PC. ISBN: 3-910022-30-8, , CD ROM. Review by Andreas Broeckmann
- Inke Arns. The suggestion of the non-depictable. 1993. 
- Bulat M. Galeyev, Review: "The International 'Ost-Ranenie' Festival". Leonardo, Vol. 28, No. 1 (1995), pp. 78-79. Published by: The MIT Press 
- Andreas Broeckmann, Review: "Media Revolution: Electronic Media in the Transformation Process of Eastern and Central Europe (German Title: 'Ost-West Internet') by Stephen Kovats", Leonardo, Vol. 34, No. 1 (2001), pp. 75-76. Published by: The MIT Press  
- Perry Bard, Making strange - Ostranenie '97 Electronic Media Forum. Afterimage 3-4 (1998) 
- Kathy Rae Huffman, OSTranenie - International Forum for Electronic Media, 25.11.1997.