R. Murray Schafer
(Redirected from Schafer)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Raymond Murray Schafer (1933) is a Canadian composer, writer, music educator and environmentalist perhaps best known for his World Soundscape Project, concern for acoustic ecology, and his book The Tuning of the World (1977).
- Ezra Pound and Music, 1961.
- The Composer in the Classroom, 1965.
- "O compositor na sala de aula", in Schafer, Ouvido pensante, São Paulo: UNESP, 1991, pp 19-65; 2nd ed., 2012. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Ear Cleaning: Notes for an Experimental Music Course, Clark & Cruickshank, 1967, 46 pp.
- Limpieza de oidos: notas para un curso de música experimental, trans. Ricardo Arturo de Gainza, Buenos Aires: Ricordi, 1982, 63 pp. (Spanish)
- "Limpeza de ouvidos", in Schafer, Ouvido pensante, São Paulo: UNESP, 1991, pp 67-117; 2nd ed., 2012. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- The New Soundscape: A Handbook for the Modern Music Teacher, Scarborough/Ontario: Berandol Music, and New York: Associated Music Publishers, 1969, 67 pp.
- The Book of Noise, Wellington, NZ: Price, Milburn, 1970; repr., Indian River, ON: Arcana Editions, 1998.
- When Words Sing, 1970.
- The Music of the Environment, Vienna: Universal Edition, 1973.
- E.T.A. Hoffmann and Music, 1975.
- The Tuning of the World, New York: Knopf, 1977; repr. as The Soundscape: Our Sonic Environment and the Tuning of the World, Rochester/Vermont: Destiny Books, 1993, 320 pp.
- A afinação do mundo, trans. Marisa Trench Fonterrada, São Paulo: UNESP, 1997. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- The Thinking Ear: Complete Writings on Music Education, Toronto: Arcana, 1986, 342 pp. Contains "The composer in the classroom", "Ear cleaning", "The new soundscape", "When words sing", "The rhinoceros in the classroom", and "Beyond the music room".
- O ouvido pensante, trans. Marisa Trench de O. Fonterrada, Magda R. Gomes da Silva and Maria Lucia Pascoal, São Paulo: UNESP, 1992. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- A Sound Education: 100 Exercises in Listening and Soundmaking, Toronto: Arcana, 1992, 144 pp, ARG.
- Educação sonora: 100 exercícios de escuta e criação de sons, trans. Marisa Fonterrada, São Paulo: Melhoramento, 2009, 144 pp. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Voices of Tyranny, Temples of Silence, Toronto: Arcana, 1993.
- My Life on Earth and Elsewhere, Porcupine's Quill, 2012.
- "The Graphics of Musical Thought", in Sound Sculpture: A Collection of Essays by Artists Surveying the Techniques, Applications, and Future Directions of Sound Sculpture, ed. John Grayson, Vancouver: Aesthetic Research Centre of Canada, 1975, pp 99-125.