Andreas Broeckmann (1964, Kevelaer) is an art historian and curator who lives in Berlin. He specializes on media art, digital culture, and aesthetics of the machinic. He is curator of the Leuphana Arts Program at Leuphana Universität Lüneburg and a guest professor for Art and Media at Universität Oldenburg.
Broeckmann studied art history, sociology and media studies in Bochum and Berlin, and received his PhD in art history with the thesis A Visual Economy of Individuals: Portrait Photography in the 19th Century Human Sciences from the University of East Anglia, Norwich (1995). He worked as a project manager at V2 Rotterdam (1995-2000), where he co-curated programmes for the deaf festival and Next 5 Minutes conferences. He is a founding member of the Syndicate network (1996-2001), a member of the Berlin-based media association mikro (*1998), a co-founder of Les Jardins des Pilotes, and co-maintains the Spectre mailing list (*2001). From September 2000 to 2007 he was the Artistic Director of Transmediale - international media art festival Berlin, and from 2005-07 one of three artistic directors of TESLA - Laboratory for Arts and Media in Berlin. He was founding director of the Dortmunder U - Centre for Art and Creativity (2009-2011) and artistic director of ISEA2010 RUHR, the 16th International Symposium on Electronic Art in the context of the European Cultural Capital, Ruhr.2010.
Indepently curated exhibitions include projects with Kontejner / MaMa in Zagreb ('Runtime Art', 2004), at TENT/Witte de With in Rotterdam ('Tracer / Neuralgic', 2004), Skuc Gallery in Ljubljana ('KRcF - Room for Manoeuvre', 2006), Media Art Biennal Seoul ('media_city_seoul', 2008), Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam ('Deep Screen - Art in Digital Culture', 2008), Hartware Dortmund ('TRUST', 2010), FACT Liverpool ('MyWar - Participation in an Age of Conflict', 2010), and Van Abbemuseum Eindhoven ('Dick Verdult – and on Sundays we celebrate Friday').
- editor, with Gunalan Nadarajan, Place Studies in Art, Media, Science and Technology: Historical Investigations on the Sites and the Migration of Knowledge, Weimar, 2009.
- editor, with Knowbotic Research, Opaque Presence: Manual of Latent Visibility, Zurich: diaphanes, 2010.  
- editor, with Yuk Hui, 30 Years After Les Immatériaux: Art, Science and Theory, Lüneburg: meson, 2015, 245 pp.
- Machine Art in the Twentieth Century, MIT Press, 2016, 392 pp. 
- "Net.Art, Machines, and Parasites", Nettime, Jan 1997.
- "Postmedia Discourses. A Working Paper", in Unneeded Conversations 2, Porto: FBAUP, 2014.
- Lawrence Bird, "Intimate Politics: An Interview with Andreas Broeckmann", Furtherfield, 10 Aug 2012.