Guy van Belle
|Based in||Vysočina/Hranice u Malče, Czech Republic|
After studying literature and linguistics, a little philosophy and sculpting, he made a (at that time insane) radical switch to computer music at the end of the 1980s, and furthermore into new vizualisation 5 times later. Involved in experimental media art in its many different forms since 1990, but each of these terms are controversial and debatable. Soit. First, he restlessly lived and worked in Belfast, Ghent, Antwerp, Brussels, New York, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, The Hague, Berlin, Bratislava. His most important virtual organisations (all collective) were Stellingname (1984-1989), Young Farmers Claim Future (1990-2000), dBONANZAh! (1998-2002), and finally mXHz.org (2002-?) and Society of Algorithm (2004-?). These setups were merely covers for collaboratively investigating the many different forms of creativity from real and non-physical people, including machines. Then he became co-founder, and active member for many years of OKNO (2004-15), an artist run organization in Brussels... (unreadable) ... sparse moments with less and less material works, almost unnoticed, in a corner of different events happening at the same time. Presque rien, zápisník zmizelého... () ... real time generated, abstract, algorithmic, and gradually abandoning the familiar settings, parameters and skills for production, display and reception of the work of art as we know it today. He wrote critico-comical pamphlets about art and technology from an anti-post-modernist anti-neo-liberal background. Like everyone in that field and at that time, throughout his life, he had many money problems, many friends and even more enemies. Between 2005 and 2009 he lived in Bratislava, where he began to work under the name of Gívan Belá. The city does not plan a statue yet, though in return the city of Banska Bystrica gave him the title of ArtD or Doctor Artis. This lead to a new specialisation into Art Transplantations and (scrapped) 'denizen epos' (unpublished, notes with different titles are available). There are many unverified stories, like: "... around 2010, after a short visit to a small village in Bohemia (Vysočina/Hranice u Malče), and seeing there an abandoned cow house (kravín), he extended his name to Belá-Kravař. Others maintain it is a mutation of Cravan, the proto-dada artist, which he did not admire at all." On one occasion he would introduce himself as a media data writer, then as a wind time inventor and clock maker, then again as a slide and cigar box guitar musician in a skiffle/spasm/jug band. Often he claimed Graham Bell to be family, since the whole lineage was deaf in the right ear and was interested in flying tetraheder kites. What is Kra? But for the 7th of November, 2022, he was preparing an homage to Arseny Avraamov in Baku and for that purpose set up the organisation without a centre 'The Baku 2022 Foundation' (2006-?).
- Writings and interviews (selection)
- mxhz.org, "Pamphlet for a Connected Aesthetics", April 2004.
- db, "The machine is an idea that art makes. Conversation with network artist Guy van Belle", 3/4 magazine 19 (2005), Bratislava. (in Slovak). (Translated from English.)
- "Early Sonic Networker: Guy van Belle in Conversation with Sabine Breitsameter", July 2005.
- with Akihiro Kubota, "Society of Algorithm", in .x-med-a., experimental media arts, 2006, pp 26-27.
- "Before|After|Poetika [An Introduction Only]", in .x-med-a., experimental media arts, 2006, pp 10-13.
- Femke Snelting, "Genereuze Praktijken" Cross-over. Kunst, media en technologie in Vlaanderen, BAM/LannooCampus, 2008, pp 43-63. (in Dutch)
- "An environmental work by the Society of Algorithm", 2011. Includes a 27-minute audio recording.
- Michal Murin, "Iné storočie, iný svet - ďalší skok do prázdna", Enter 16 (2014), Bratislava, pp 58-67. Interview. (in Slovak)
- "Ekológia ako kultúrna kritika a zmena", Enter 16 (2014), Bratislava, pp 68-73. (in Slovak)
- Gívan Belá, "Jak být v souladu s ekologií a uměním... Velmi krátká úvaha o desetiletém pozorování dřímajících možností, jak udělat něco jiného z toho, co bývalo uměním, následovaná otevřeným seznamem termínů", Flash Art Czech & Slovak Edition 37 (Dec 2015), pp 33ff. (Czech)
- more writings: okno.be, writingthrough.societyofalgorithm.org, societyofalgorithm.org, mtp-teoria list (cont.), A2 and His Voice FTOAM column(Czech)
- ignorance (2015)
- x-okno-poseur-poster (2016)