New Art Exhibition (1923)
The New Art Exhibition, 20 May - 20 June 1923, organised by Władysław Strzemiński and Vytautas Kairiūkštis, at Corso Cinema on A. Mickiewicz Avenue in Vilnius. Meeting ground for Russian and Western European avant-garde movements. One of the first manifestations of constructivist art outside Russia. Works included painting, drawing, sculpture, architecture, scenography, and printing. Cubist, Constructivist, and Suprematist compositions predominated. Its catalogue includes Kairiūkštis’ constructivist manifesto. The exhibition marked the first appearance of Polish Constructivism; participants included Mieczyslaw Szczuka (first montage photographs), Henryk Stażewski, Władysław Strzemiński, and Teresa Żarnowerówna, all of whom later become the members of the Blok group which held exhibitions in Riga, Bucharest, Brussels and Warsaw.