Jump to navigation Jump to search
Trisha Brown in Accumulation (1971). Photo Nathaniel Tileston, 1979.
November 25, 1936|
Aberdeen, Washington, US
March 18, 2017 (aged 80)|
San Antonio, Texas, US
|Web||UbuWeb, Aaaaarg, Wikipedia, Academia.edu|
Trisha Brown (1936-2017) was an American choreographer and dancer, and one of the founders of the Judson Dance Theater and the postmodern dance movement.
- Homemade, 1966.
- Planes, 1968.
- Man Walking Down the Side of a Building, 1970.
- Floor of the Forest, 1970.
- Leaning Duets, 1970.
- Accumulation, 1971.
- Walking on the Wall, 1971.
- Roof Piece, 1971.
- Primary Accumulation, 1972.
- Group Primary Accumulation, 1973.
- Structured Pieces II, 1974.
- Spiral, 1974.
- Locus, 1975.
- Structured Pieces III, 1975.
- Solo Olos, 1976.
- Line Up, 1976.
- Spanish Dance, 1976.
- Watermotor, 1978. (film by Babette Mangolte)
- Accumulation with Talking plus Watermotor, 1978. (film by Jonathan Demme)
- Glacial Decoy, 1979.
- Opal Loop, 1980.
- Son of Gone Fishin', 1981.
- Set and Reset, 1983.
- Lateral Pass, 1985.
- Newark, 1987.
- Astral Convertible, 1989.
- Foray Forêt, 1990.
- For M.G.: The Movie, 1991.
- One Story as in falling, 1992.
- Another Story as in falling, 1993.
- If you couldn't see me, 1994.
- M.O., 1995.
- Twelve Ton Rose, 1996.
- L'Orfeo, 1998.
- Winterreise, 2002.
- PRESENT TENSE, 2003.
- O Zlozony/O Composite, 2004.
- How long does the subject linger on the edge of the volume..., 2005.
- I love my robots, 2007.
- L'Amour au Theatre, 2009.
- Pygmalion, 2010.
- I'm Going to Toss My Arms – If You Catch Them They're Yours, 2011.
- Water Motor, short film, actress, 1978.
- L’orfeo, favola in musica, TV film, choreography and stage manager, 1998.
- Video recordings
See also works above.
- Trisha Brown Dance Company, Lateral Pass, 1986.
- Trisha Brown Dance Company, Set and Reset, 1986. 
- Trisha Brown Dance Company, Les Yeux et l'âme, 2011. 
- Babette Mangolte, "A Portfolio of Photographs of Trisha Brown's Work", October 10, Autumn 1979, pp 38-50.
- Babette Mangolte, "Trisha Brown: Portfolio", October 140, Spring 2012, pp 45-53.
Exhibitions and programs
- Trisha Brown: danse, précis de liberté, Centre de la Vieille Charité, Marseille, 20 Jul-27 Sep 1998. Curated by Michèle Doucet.
- Trisha Brown: Dance and Art in Dialogue 1961-2001, Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery, Skidmore College, 1 Feb-1 Jun 2003; New Museum, New York, 10 Oct 2003-25 Jan 2004; Henry Art Gallery, U Washington, Seattle, 20 Mar-18 Jul 2004. Curated by Hendel Teicher, independent curator, and organized in collaboration with the Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts.
- Trisha Brown: Drawing on Land and Air, USF Contemporary Art Museum, FL, 12 Jan-3 Mar 2007. Brochure.
- Brown's choreography, drawings and performances at documenta 12, Kassel, Jun-Sep 2007.
- Trisha Brown: So That the Audience Does Not Know Whether I Have Stopped Dancing, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 18 Apr-20 Jul 2008. Part of Year of Trisha programme.
- Off the Wall: Part 2 — Seven Works by Trisha Brown, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 30 Sep-3 Oct 2010. Featured the Trisha Brown Dance Company, on the occasion of the company's 40th anniversary, performing works from the 1970s.
- On Line/Trisha Brown Dance Company, MoMA, New York, 12-16 Jan 2011. A program of performances; in conjunction with the exhibition On Line: Drawing Through the Twentieth Century.
- Laurie Anderson, Trisha Brown, Gordon Matta-Clark: Pioneers of the Downtown Scene, New York 1970s, Barbican Art Gallery, London, 3 Mar-22 May 2011.
- Trisha Brown Dance Company, Dia:Beacon, New York, 14-15 Nov 2009 & 13-14 Feb 2010 & 1 May 2010. A series of performances.
- Early Works, from Trisha Brown, by Trisha Brown Dance Company, Serralves Museum and Park, Porto, 21-24 Apr 2011. Program of performances.
- Trisha Brown: In a New Body, Bryn Mawr College, 2015-16. Festival, curated by Lisa Kraus.
- Trisha Brown: danse, précis de liberté, ed. Michèle Doucet, Marseille: Centre de la Vieille Charité, 1998, 157 pp. Published on the occasion of an exhibition. (French)
- Trisha Brown: Dance and Art in Dialogue 1961-2001, ed. Hendel Teicher, forew. Adam D. Weinberg and Charles Stainback, Tang, with Andover/MA: Addison Gallery of American Art, 2003, 340 pp. Published on the occasion of an exhibition; essays by Maurice Berger, Guillaume Bernardi, Trisha Brown, Marianne Goldberg, Deborah Jowitt, Klaus Kertess, Laurence Louppe, Steve Paxton, Yvonne Rainer, and Hendel Teicher. 
- Trisha Brown: So That the Audience Does Not Know Whether I Have Stopped Dancing, ed. Peter Eleey, Minneapolis: Walker Art Center, 2008, 96 pp. Published on the occasion of a museum program; feat. essays by Peter Eleey and Philip Bither and a commissioned survey of Brown's drawing vocabulary contributed by the artist. 
- Off the Wall, Part 2, New York: Whitney Museum of American Art, 2010.
- Trisha Brown: l'invenzione dello spazio, Pistoia: Gli ori, 2010, 159 pp. Published on the occasion of Aperto Festival 2009. Text by Rossella Mazzaglia and Adriana Polveroni. (Italian)/(English)
- Laurie Anderson, Trisha Brown, Gordon Matta-Clark: Pioneers of the Downtown Scene, New York 1970s, Munich: Prestel, with London: Barbican Art Gallery, 2011, 223 pp. Published on the occasion of an exhibition. 
- Histoire(s) et lectures: Trisha Brown / Emmanuelle Huynh, 1992-2012, eds. Emmanuelle Huynh, Denise Luccioni and Julie Perrin, Dijon: Les Presses du réel, with Angers: Centre national de danse contemporaine (CNDC), 2012, 343 pp. Contributions by Guillaume Bernardi, Trisha Brown, Emmanuelle Huynh, Kevin Kortan, Laurence Louppe, Denise Luccioni, Diane Madden, Julie Perrin, Shelley Senter, Stacy Spence.  (French)
- Sally Sommer, "Trisha Brown Making Dances", Dance Scope, Spring 1977.
- Trisha Brown, Yvonne Rainer, "A Conversation about Glacial Decoy", October 10, Autumn 1979, pp 29-37.
- Marianne Goldberg, "Trisha Brown: All of the Person's Person Arriving", The Drama Review: TDR 30:1 (1986), 149-170.
- Marianne Goldberg, "Trisha Brown's Accumulations", Dance Theatre Journal 9:2, Autumn 1991, pp 4-7.
- Yvonne Rainer, "Trisha Brown", BOMB 45, Fall 1993, pp 28-33.
- Brown in conversation with Klaus Kertess, 2004. Video.
- Interview at documenta 12, 2007, 3 min. Video.
- Susan Rosenberg, "Trisha Brown's Notebooks", October 140, Spring 2012, pp 3-17.
- Lise Brunel, Babette Mangolte, Guy Delahaye, Trisha Brown, Paris: Bougé, 1987, 98 pp. Collection of interviews, articles, and photographic analyses of Brown's choreography. (French)/(English)
- Susan Rosenberg, Trisha Brown: Choreography as Visual Art, Wesleyan University Press, 2017. 
Book chapters, papers, essays
- Sally Sommer, "Equipment Dances: Trisha Brown", The Drama Review: TDR 16(3): "Puppet", Sep 1972, pp 135-141
- Mona Sulzman, "Choice/Form in Trisha Brown's Locus: A View from Inside the Cube", Dance Chronicle 2:2, 1978, pp 117-130.
- Post-modern dance: Trisha Brown, Lucinda Childs, Molly Davies, Douglas Dunn, Simone Forti, Andrew de Groat, Yvonne Rainer, Bob Wilson, eds. Alain Duault and Pierre Lartigue, Paris: Avant-scène, 1980, 143 pp. (French)
- Marianne Goldberg, "Set and Reset, Trisha Brown and Company, Brooklyn Academy of Music, October 1983", Women and Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory, 1984, pp 158-159.
- André Lepecki, "Toppling Dance: The Making of Space in Trisha Brown and La Ribot", ch 4 in Lepecki, Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement, Routledge, 2006, pp 65-86
- Rossella Mazzaglia, Trisha Brown, Palermo: L'epos, 2007, xvi+268 pp. (Italian)
- Sharona Kahn, "No to No: Trisha Brown, Lucinda Childs, and the “No” Manifesto", 2009, 34 pp.
- Douglas Crimp, "You Can Still See Her: Douglas Crimp on Trisha Brown", Artforum, Jan 2011, pp 154-160, ARG.
- Marianne Goldberg, "Trisha Brown", in Fifty Contemporary Choreographers, eds. Martha Bremser and Lorna Sanders, London: Routledge, 2011, pp 37-42.
- Alexander Schwan, "'Dancing is like scribbling, you know.' Schriftbildlichkeit in Trisha Browns Choreographie Locus", Sprache und Literatur 107, 2011, pp 58-70. (German)
- Susan Rosenberg, "Trisha Brown: Choreography as Visual Art", October 140, Spring 2012, pp 18-44, ARG.
- Susan Rosenberg, "Trisha Brown's Water Motor: Forever, Now, and Again", TDR: The Drama Review 56:1, Spring 2012, pp 150-157. 
- Amanda Jane Graham, "Out of Site: Trisha Brown's Roof Piece", Dance Chronicle 36, 2013, pp 59-76, ARG.
- Marianne Goldberg, "Trisha Brown", Oct 2015.
- "Morgan on Graham/Mangolte on Brown", intro. Kristin Poor, Aperture 221: "Performance", Winter 2015. 
- In the Steps of Trisha Brown, dir. Marie-Hélène Rebois, 2016, 79 min.