Dušan Barok is an artist, writer and cultural activist involved in critical practise in the fields of software, art, and theory. Born in Bratislava, he graduated in information technologies from the University of Economics, Bratislava (DI, 2002), and Networked Media from the Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam (MA, 2012).
He founded and ran the online culture portal Koridor (in Slovak, 1999-2002). In 2003 he co-founded BURUNDI media lab and organised there the Translab evening series. Developed the open source tool for online group-help backstage, and number of websites and online databases for artistic, cultural and educational organisations. Together with Magdaléna Kobzová he organised the two-week long workshop-based event Summer Open Academy, bringing together people from the arts, technology, media and humanities (Bratislava, 2006 & 2007). Since 2004 he has been involved in the organisation of Multiplace network culture festival, in 2007-09 as festival coordinator. Since 2008, together with Peter Gonda he has been running the free art server Sanchez. In 2004, he initiated Monoskop, a wiki-based portal for collaborative research of media art and culture; and in 2009, together with Tomáš Kovács, the open access living archive of writings on art, culture, and media technologies, Monoskop Log. He has conducted research of history of media art and culture in East-Central Europe.
In 2012 he co-founded the artist collective La Société Anonyme. Collaborations with OKNO, Atrakt Art (3/4 magazine), 13m3, Col-me, Satori, Artlist, and others. Taught interactive media at Prague College (2006). Guest lectures at AKU Banská Bystrica, MU Brno, FaVU Brno, FAMU Prague, VŠVU Bratislava, and elsewhere. He had lived in the States (2002-03), Prague (2004-08), Berlin (2008-10), Rotterdam (2010-12), and currently resides back in Bratislava.
- Edited publications
- Dušan Barok, Magdaléna Kobzová (eds.), Save Before It's Gone, 2006. Includes interviews with Dirk Paesmans, Maja Kuzmanovic, Darko Fritz, and Andrei Smirnov.
- "Net.art. Internet as artistic medium", 3/4 magazine 1/2001. (in Slovak)
- "Node.London. Analysis of season of media arts in London", 2007.
- "On Culture of Networks", Multiplace brochure, 2007. (in English/Slovak)
- "Web Time", May 2010.
- "Sourced in, unsourced out: Leaking as common knowledge production", May 2011.
- "Privatising Privacy: Trojan Horse in Free Open Source Distributed Social Platforms", May 2011.
- "Bitcoin: censorship-resistant currency and domain name system to the people", July 2011.
- "Zden Hlinka. Interview with a visual code artist", Koridor.sk arts culture media server, 2001. (in Slovak)
- "The machine is an idea that art makes. Conversation with a network artist Guy van Belle", 3/4 magazine 19, 2005. (in English/Slovak)
- "Talk with Dirk Paesmans (jodi.org)", 3/4 magazine 20, 2006. (English/Slovak)
- "On participatory art. Interview with Claire Bishop", A2 cultural bi-weekly, 2009. (English/Czech)
- Monoskop talks: Michal Murin, Monoskop 1. (in Slovak)
- Interviews with Diana McCarty, Michal Murin, Rasa Smite and Raitis Smits, Călin Man. 3/4 magazine 27-28, 2012. (in English/Slovak)
- Robert Bobnič, Jurij Smrke, Jasmina Šepetavc, "Monoskop, Interview", Tribuna, December 2012, pp 16-17. (in Slovenian)
- "Monoskop v sieti. Rozhovor Michala Murina s Dušanom Barokom", Profil 4 (2012), pp 92-105. (in Slovak)
- "Dušan Barok, Interview", Neural 44: Special Issue on Post-Digital Print (2013), pp 10-11.
- Recent talks
- "Against Expression: Life After Death of a Media Artist", Beyond the Rapture. New Media Art Practices in Central and Eastern Europe lecture series, The Academy of Fine Arts and Design, Bratislava, October 2012. 
- "Dívat se na databázi: Audiovizuální archiv prizmatem softwaru a databází", Artyčok.tv, The Academy of Fine Arts, Prague, November 2012. 
- "You'll Like This Art Because You're In It", Karaoke Europe: Očarenie realitou symposium, Stanica, Žilina, December 2012. 
- "Softvérová studia a špatná média", Interactive Media Theory seminar, Masaryk University, Brno, December 2012.
- With Andrej Chudý, "Remediácia kultúrnej produkcie v digitálnom sieťovom prostredí", Remediácia: V kontexte transdisciplinarity conference, Polish Institute, Bratislava, January 2013. 
- "Dedovia, dediči a vydedenci umenia a vedy na Slovensku. Kapitoly z mediálnej archeológie", Alef 0 series, Stanica, Žilina, February 2013.  / Krakatoa talk club, A4-Zero Space, Bratislava, March 2013. 
- db at societyofalgorithm dot org
- PGP key