Alexander R. Galloway
Alexander R. Galloway (1974) is a writer and computer programer working on issues in philosophy, technology, and theories of mediation. Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University, he is author of several books on digital media and critical theory, including The Interface Effect (Polity, 2012). His collaboration with Eugene Thacker and McKenzie Wark, Excommunication: Three Inquiries in Media and Mediation, was published by the University of Chicago Press. With Jason E. Smith, Galloway co-translated the Tiqqun book Introduction to Civil War (Semiotext[e], 2010). For ten years he worked with RSG on Carnivore, Kriegspiel and other software projects. Galloway's last book was a monograph on the work of François Laruelle, published in 2014. He is currently finishing a new manuscript on the deep history of computation.
Galloway has given over two hundred talks both across the U.S. and in ten countries around the world. His writings have been translated into eleven languages. He is recipient of a number of grants and awards including a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Berlin Prize, and the Prix Ars Electronica.
A member of the NYU faculty since 2002, Galloway has also held visiting professorships at the University of Pennsylvania (Spring 2012) and Harvard University (Fall 2016). During 2019-2020 he was a member in the School of Social Science at the Institute for Advanced Study. (2020)
- Protocol: How Control Exists After Decentralization, MIT Press, 2003, ARG.
- Gaming: Essays on Algorithmic Culture, University of Minnesota Press, 2006.
- with Eugene Thacker, The Exploit: A Theory of Networks, University of Minnesota Press, 2007.
- French Theory Today: An Introduction to Possible Futures, The Public School New York/Erudio Editions, 2011.
- The Interface Effect, Polity Press, 2012.
- with Eugene Thacker and McKenzie Wark, Excommunication: Three Inquiries in Media and Mediation, University of Minnesota Press, 2013.
- Laruelle: Against the Digital, University of Minnesota Press, 2014. 
- "Warcraft and Utopia", Ctheory, Feb 2006.
- "Protocol", Theory, Culture & Society 23(2-3): "Problematizing Global Knowledge", 2006, pp 317-320. 
- "Language wants to be Overlooked: On Software and Ideology", Journal of Visual Culture 5(3), 2006, pp 315-331. 
- "What is New Media? Ten Years After 'The Language of New Media'", Criticism 53:3, 2011, pp 377-384. 
- "The Poverty of Philosophy: Realism and Post-Fordism", Critical Inquiry 39:2, 2013, pp 347-366. 
- "Jodi’s Infrastructure", e-flux Journal 74, Jun 2016.
- "History Is What Hurts: On Old Materialism", Social Text 34:2, 2016, pp 125-141. 
- co-author, "A Questionnaire on Materialisms", October 155:1, 2016, pp 45-47. 
- "21 Paragraphs on Badiou", e-flux Journal 89, Mar 2018.
- "Mathification", Diacritics 47:1, 2019, pp 96-115. 
- Interviews and talks (selection)
- Stefan Hechenberger, "Interview with Alex Galloway", Switch 19:1, San José State University, Summer 2004.
- Leper Creativity, panel discussion with Nicola Masciandaro and Eugene Thacker, The New School, Mar 2011. Video.