Beatriz Colomina (1952, Madrid) is an architectural historian and theorist who has written on questions of architecture, art, technology, sexuality and media. She is Founding Director of the interdisciplinary Media and Modernity Program at Princeton University and Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the School of Architecture.
Her books include: X-Ray Architecture (Lars Müller Publishers, 2019), Are We Human? Notes on an Archeology of Design (Lars Müller, 2016), The Century of the Bed (Verlag für Moderne Kunst, 2015), Das Andere/The Other: A Journal for the Introduction of Western Culture into Austria (MAK Center for Art and Architecture, 2016), Manifesto Architecture: The Ghost of Mies (Sternberg, 2014), Clip/Stamp/Fold: The Radical Architecture of Little Magazines 196X-197X (Actar, 2010), Domesticity at War (MIT Press, 2007), Privacy and Publicity: Modern Architecture as Mass Media (MIT Press, 1994), and Sexuality and Space (Princeton Architectural Press, 1992). Sexuality and Space was awarded the 1993 International Book Award by the AIA (American Institute of Architects). Privacy and Publicity was awarded the 1995 International Book Award by the AIA, and has been published in seven languages.
Colomina has lectured at universities and art museums throughout the world including the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Architectural Institute of Japan, Guggenheim in New York, the Center for Contemporary Art and Architecture in Stockholm, the DIA Art Foundation in New York, Tate Britain in London, Harvard University, Yale University, Columbia University, ETH in Zurich, Delft University, Bauhaus University in Weimar, Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Lebanese American University, University of Beirut and Seoul University.
She has curated a series of international exhibitions, based on archival and oral history research, as interfaces to communicate research to a wider audience with physical installations, digital platforms and new forms of publication. These exhibitions, which traveled to multiple international locations, include: Clip/Stamp/Fold (2006), Playboy Architecture (2012) and Radical Pedagogies (2014). Colomina was the chief curator of Curated by Vienna: The Century of the Bed, a show involving a network of 22 art galleries in Vienna in 2014. She was also co-curator of the third Istanbul Design Biennial (2016) on the theme Are We Human? The Design of the Species and contributed an installation on the question of social media to the inaugural biennale of Architecture and Urbanism in Seoul (2017).
Colomina has been the recipient of diverse awards and fellowships, including the Samuel H. Kress Senior Fellowship at the CASVA (Center for Advanced Studies in the Visual Arts), SOM Foundation, Le Corbusier Foundation, Graham Foundation, the CCA (Canadian Centre for Architecture), The American Academy in Berlin and the Getty Center in Los Angeles. She is on the advisory board of multiple institutions, including The Norman Foster Foundation in Madrid, The Istanbul Design Biennial, The Institute for Innovation and Creative Strategies in Architecture in Lyon, ARCH+ in Berlin, The Oslo Center for Critical Architectural Studies (OCCAS), Beyond Media in Florence and The Storefront for Art and Architecture in New York. In 2005 she received the Princeton University President’s Award for Distinguished Teaching. (2017, upd.)
- editor, Architectureproduction, New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 1988, 256 pp. TOC. Introduction. Colomina's essay "L'Espirit Nouveau". (English)
- editor, Sexuality & Space, New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 1992, 389 pp, PDF. Based on a symposium held at Princeton U in 1990. (English)
- Sexualitat i espai: el disseny de la intimitat, trans. Richard Rees, Barcelona: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC): ETSAB, 1997, 243 pp. (Spanish)
- 섹슈얼리티와 공간, trans. Miseon Kang, 2005. (Korean)
- Privacy and Publicity: Modern Architecture as Mass Media, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1994, xi+389 pp. On Adolf Loos and Le Corbusier. Excerpt. Publisher. (English)
- Masu media to shiteno kindai kenchiku [マスメディアとしての近代建築: アドルフ・ロースとル・コルビュジエ], trans. Tsuyoshi Matsuhata, Tokyo: Kajima Shuppankai, 1996. (Japanese)
- La publicité du privé: de Loos à Le Corbusier, trans. Marie-Ange Brayer, Orléans: HYX, 1998, 255 pp. (French)
- Privat och offentligt: modern arkitektur som massmedium, trans. Catharina Gabrielsson, Lysekil: Pontes, 1999, 352 pp. (Swedish)
- Privacidad y publicidad: la arquitectura moderna como medio de comunicación de masas, trans. Isabel Ortal, Murcia: Centro de Documentación y Estudios Avanzados de Arte Contemporáneo (CENDEAC): Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Murcia (COAMU), 2010, 237 pp. (Spanish)
- Mahremiyet ve kamusallık: kitle iletişim aracı olarak modern mimari, trans. Aziz Ufuk Kılıç, Istanbul: Metis, 2011, xvii+379 pp; repr., 2017. (Turkish)
- Textos, trans. Rosario Canet Guardiola and Cecilio Sánchez Robles, Valencia: Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1998, 61 pp. (Spanish)
- Doble exposición: arquitectura a través del arte, trans. Alfredo Brotons, Madrid: Akal, 2006, 206 pp. Selected writings. Publisher. (Spanish)
- Domesticity at War, Barcelona: Actar, 2006, 320+446 pp; new ed., Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2007, ARG; repr., Barcelona: Actar, 2015. Publisher. Publisher. (English)
- La domesticidad en guerra, trans. Beatriz Preciado, Barcelona: Actar, 2006, 320+446 pp; repr., 2015. Publisher. (Spanish)
- editor, with Craig Buckley, Clip/Stamp/Fold: The Radical Architecture of Little Magazines 196X-197X, Barcelona: Actar, 2010, 671 pp. Published in conjunction with a travelling exhibition. Excerpt. Project website (archived). Publisher. Info. Review: Neuman (JAE).  (English)
- Editar para transformar: Clip/Stamp/Fold, Santiago de Chile: Capital Books, 2015, 241 pp. (Spanish)
- La pelouse américaine en guerre: de Pearl Harbor à la crise des missiles, 1941-1961, trans. Hélène Sirven et al., Paris: B2, 2011, 64 pp. Publisher. (French)
- Cernés par les images: l'architecture de l'après-Spoutnik, trans. Hélène Sirven, Paris: B2, 2013, 69 pp. Publisher. (French)
- editor, Volume 33: "Playboy Architecture 1953-1979", Frankfurt am Main: DAM, 2014, 31 pp. Exh. catalogue; magazine supplement. TOC. (English)
- Manifesto Architecture: The Ghost of Mies, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 2014, 110 pp. Publisher.  (English)
- co-editor, The Century of the Bed, Vienna: Verlag für Moderne Kunst, 2015, 219 pp. Catalogue. (English)
- with Nikola Jankovic, L'Univers Playboy, Paris: B2, 2016, 251 pp. Publisher. (French)
- editor, with Kimberli Meyer, Adolf Loos, Das Andere: ein Blatt zur Einführung abendländischer Kultur in Österreich / The Other: A Journal for the Introduction of Western Culture into Austria, Vienna: MAK Center for Art and Architecture, and Zürich: Lars Müller Publishers, 2016, 16+16+48 pp. Publisher. (German)/(English)
- with Mark Wigley, Are We Human? Notes on an Archeology of Design, Zürich: Lars Müller Publishers, 2016, 288 pp; repr., 2021. Publisher. (English)
- Wareware wa ningen nanoka: dezain to ningen o meguru kōkogakuteki oboegaki [我々は人間なのか: デザインと人間をめぐる考古学的覚書き], trans. Makio Haruki, Tokyo: Bīenuenushinsha, 2017, 319 pp. (Japanese)
- co-editor, Modernia elämää! Suomalainen modernismi ja kansainvälisyys, Helsinki: Parvs, 2017, 223 pp. Catalogue. (Finnish)
- editor, with Mark Wigley, Are We Human? The Design of the Species. 2 Seconds, 2 Days, 2 Years, 200 Years, 200,000 Years / Biz insan miyiz, turumüzün tasarıımı, Zürich: Lars Müller Publishers, and Istanbul: Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts, 2019, 578 pp. Catalogue; in conjuction with the 3rd Istanbul Design Biennial. Publisher. (English)/(Turkish)
- X-Ray Architecture, Zürich: Lars Müller Publishers, 2019, 199 pp. Publisher. (English)
- Arquitectura de rayos X, trans. Cristina Zelich, Barcelona: Puente, 2021, 208 pp. (Spanish)
- editor, with Ignacio Gonzalez Galán, Evangelos Kotsioris, and Anna-Maria Meister, Radical Pedagogies, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 600 pp, forthcoming. Project website. Publisher. (English)
- Radical Pedagogies: Architectural Education in a Time of Disciplinary Instability, a research project by Beatriz Colomina with the PhD students at Princeton U School of Architecture.
- Clip/Stamp/Fold: The Radical Architecture of Little Magazines 196X to 197X, a research project by Beatriz Colomina et al.
- Profile on Princeton U School of Architecture