Brian Holmes (1959, San Francisco) is a cultural critic who has worked with activists and artists in Europe and the Americas. He is interested primarily in the intersections of artistic and political practice. He holds a doctorate in Romance Languages and Literatures from the University of California at Berkeley. Holmes was the English editor of publications for Documenta X, Kassel, Germany in 1997. He is a member of the groups Deep Time Chicago and Compass, and a former member of the graphic arts group Ne pas plier from 1999 to 2001, and the French conceptual art group Bureau d'études. He is based in Chicago.
- Hieroglyphs of the Future: Art & Politics in a Networked Era, Zagreb: Arkzin/What, How and for Whom, 2003, 294 pp.
- Unleashing the Collective Phantoms: Essays in Reverse Imagineering, Autonomedia, 2008, 187 pp. 
- Escape the Overcode: Activist Art in the Control Society, Eindhoven: Van Abbemuseum, and Zagreb: WHW, 2009, 414 pp.
- with Beate Geissler and Oliver Sann, Volatile Smile, Nürnberg: Moderne Kunst, 2014, 182 pp.  
- Driving the Golden Spike: The Aesthetics of Anthropocene Public Space, Deep Time Chicago, 2016, 19 pp. Pamphlet.
- Book chapters, essays
- "The Flexible Personality: For a New Cultural Critique", transversal 1 (2002).
- "Der flexible Charakter. Für eine neue Kulturkritik", trans. Birgit Mennel, transversal 1 (2002). (German)
- "La personalidad flexible. Por una nueva crítica cultural", trans. Marcelo Expósito, rev. Brian Holmes and Joaquín Barriendos, transversal 1 (2002). (Spanish)
- "Fleksibilna ličnost: za novu kulturalnu kritiku", trans. Nataša Ilić, transversal 1 (2002). (Croatian)
- "Further: Wisconsin and Dreamtimes West", in A Call to Farms: Continental Drift through the Radical Midwest Culture Corridor, Viroqua, WI: Heavy Duty Press, 2008, pp 35-37. 
- "Cartography With Your Feet: Workshop Proposal for “Beneath the University, the Commons”", in Deep Routes: The Midwest in All Directions, eds. Rozalinda Borcila, Bonnie Fortune and Sarah Ross, Wisconsin: White Wire, 2012.  
- "Continental Drift 2011: Argentina / China", in Deep Routes: The Midwest in All Directions, eds. Rozalinda Borcila, Bonnie Fortune and Sarah Ross, Wisconsin: White Wire, 2012.  
- "Captive Sun", in Petcoke: Tracing Dirty Energy, Chicago: Museum of Contemporary Photography, 2016. 
- Tom Vandeputte, Sidsel Meineche Hansen, "Boundaries of Knowledge: Questions for Brian Holmes", 2015.
- Tünde Mariann Varga, "Political Ecology and Anthropocene Public Space: An Interview with Brian Holmes", Mezosfera, Budapest, Jun 2016.