Critical Art Ensemble
Collective of five tactical media practitioners of various specializations including computer graphics and web design, film/video, photography, text art, book art, and performance.
Formed in 1987, CAE's focus has been on the exploration of the intersections between art, critical theory, technology, and political activism. The original members are Steve Barnes, Dorian Burr, Steve Kurtz, Hope Kurtz and Beverly Schlee.
- NovaText, Brooklyn, 1990.
- Action is Addiction, New York, 1992.
- The Electronic Disturbance, New York: Autonomedia, 1994.
- Electronic Civil Disobedience & Other Unpopular Ideas, New York: Autonomedia, 1997.
- Flesh Machine; Cyborgs, Designer Babies, Eugenic Consciousness, New York: Autonomedia, 1998.
- Digital Resistance: Explorations in Tactical Media, New York: Autonomedia, 2000.
- Molecular Invasion, New York: Autonomedia, 2002.
- Marching Plague: Germ Warfare and Global Public Health, New York: Autonomedia, 2006.
- Josephine Bosma, "CAE Interview", (cont.), Nettime, Aug 1997.
- Gregory Sholette. [http://neme.org/main/318/disciplining-the-avant-garde "Disciplining The Avant-Garde: The United States versus The Critical Art Ensemble", Jan 2006.