Born 1966 in Croatia. Media artist, curator and graphic designer. Lives in Amsterdam and Zagreb. Studied architecture at University of Zagreb (1988-90) and artistic media at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten in Amsterdam (1990-92).
He has been working with video since 1988. First computer-generated environment in 1988. Digital photography since 1990. First attempt to webcast 1994.
Darko Fritz is a founding member of the artist groups Cathedral (1988), The Imitation of Life Studio (1987-1990), Young Croatian Electronic Films (1991) and The Future State of Balkania (1998), and has participated in various networks, such as Syndicate, Spectre, Nettime and Culturenet.hr.
He curated numerous exhibitions and edited exhibition catalogues, including I Am Still Alive (on early computer-generated art and recent low-tech and internet art), 2000; Variable Amnesia, 2006; Bit International - Computers and Visual Research, New Tendencies, Zagreb 1961—1973, Neue Galerie, 2007, and ZKM, 2008. In 2006, he founded the gray) (area – space of contemporary and media art.
He has presented research on early digital art at many conferences, including ISEA 2000, Paris, 2000; Stuttgart 1960, Computer in Theorie und Kunst, Stuttgart, 2004 and REFRESH!, Banff, 2005.
As a media art editor at Culturenet.hr, he published "A Brief Overview of Media Art in Croatia (Since the 1960s)" in 2002. His articles include "Amnesia International - Early computer art and Tendencies movement" which appeared in Bitomatik, kuda.org, Novi Sad, 2004; and "Vladimir Bonacic" in Man and Space magazine, Zagreb, 2006. (2017)
- "International Networks of Early Digital Arts", in A Companion to Digital Art, ed. Christiane Paul, John Wiley & Sons, 2016, pp 46-68.
- Digitalna umjetnost u Hrvatskoj 1968. – 1984., Zagreb: Tehnički muzej Nikola Tesla (TMNT), 2020, 224 pp. Digital companion. (Croatian)
- Digital Art in Croatia 1968-1984, Zagreb: Tehnički muzej Nikola Tesla (TMNT), 2022, 224 pp. Digital companion. (English)
- Twan Eikelenboom, "Terug naar de begindagen van computergegenereerde kunst", Virtueel Platform, 10 September 2012. (Dutch)
- Lanfranco Aceti, An Interview with Darko Fritz, Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp 42-49.