Florian Cramer is a writer, photographer, filmmaker and theorist. He is a Research Professor in New Media at Hogeschool Rotterdam, where he serves as the Director of Creating 010, a centre focusing on two areas of research: Communication in the Digital Age and Cultural Diversity. He is also a part-time programmer at WORM, the Rotterdam-based Institute of Avantgardistic Recreation.
Born 1969. Studied comparative literature, art history and german philology at FU Berlin, Universität Konstanz and University of Massachusetts at Amherst. MA in comparative literature from Freie Universität Berlin (1998). 1999-2004 junior lecturer in Comparative Literature, FU Berlin. Administrated rohrpost list (with Tilman Baumgärtel), and with Alan Sondheim co-edited Unstable Digest of code poetry on nettime list. Coder of the combinatory poetry site Permutations, formerly busy in Neoism as fictioneered on Neoism.org. Collaborated on the Runme.org software art repository. Has published in the area of code poetry, comparative studies in the literature and the arts, modernism, text theory, literature and computing. In 2004 visited Piet Zwart Institute as a Media Design research fellow, wrote the essay Words Made Flesh, Code, Culture, Imagination and worked with students in workshops and tutorials. In summer 2006, returned as the new course director of the Media Design MA programme. In 2010-11 the director of Piet Zwart Institute. Since 2011 a researcher at the Institute for Research and Innovation, Rotterdam University. Lives in Rotterdam since 2006.
- with Stewart Home, The House of Nina Squares: Letters on Neoism, Psychogeography´an Epistemological Trepidation, 1997. (English)
- Words Made Flesh: Code, Culture, Imagination, Rotterdam: Media Design Research, Piet Zwart Institute, Willem de Kooning Academy Hogeschool Rotterdam, 2005, 140 pp.  (English)
- Exe.cut(up)able statements: Poetische Kalküle und Phantasmen des selbstausführenden Texts, Munich: Wilhelm Fink, 2011. (German)
- Anti-Media: Ephemera on Speculative Arts, Rotterdam: NAi, 2013, 240 pp.  (English)
- "Gegen Medientheorie", Rohrpost, 7 Feb 2001.  (German)
- "Post-Digital Writing", Electronic Book Review, Dec 2012. Originally given as the keynote lecture at the Electronic Literature Organization conference, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 22 Jun 2012. (English)
- "Post-Digital Aesthetics", Jeu de Paume, May 2013. (English)
- "Post-Digital Literary Studies", Materialities of Literature 4:1 (2016), TXT. (English)
- "Depression: Post-Melancholia, Post-Fluxus, Post-Communist, Post-Capitalist, Post-Digital, Post-Prozac", in A Solid Injury to the Knees, ed. Maya Tonuta, Vilnius: Rupert, 2016, pp 60-107. (English)
- Essays archived at pleintekst.nl
- Posts on Nettime.
- Posts on Rohrpost. (German)
- Posts on Filmkorn.
- List of printed publications, 1991-2001
- "Cornelia Sollfrank in conversation with Florian Cramer", in Cross-wired: Communication, Interface, Locality, eds. Kerstin Mey and Simon Yuill, 2001, pp 58-67.  (English)
- Interview with Florian Cramer, Neural 44: Special issue on Post-Digital Print (2013), pp 38-42. (English)
- Chiara Moioli, Cloning Aura: Neoism Now & Then. In Conversation with Florian Cramer, Brescia: Link Editions, 2016,  pp. (English)/(Italian)