Friedrich Daniel Ernst Schleiermacher (November 21, 1768 – February 12, 1834) was a German theologian, philosopher, and biblical scholar known for his attempt to reconcile the criticisms of the Enlightenment with traditional Protestant Christianity. He also became influential in the evolution of Higher Criticism, and his work forms part of the foundation of the modern field of hermeneutics.
- Gesamtausgabe der Werke Schleiermachers in drei Abteilungen
- Theological works, 11 vols.
- Sermons, 10 vols., 1873–1874, 5 vols.
- Philosophical and Miscellaneous, 9 vols., 1835–1864
- Sämmtliche Werke, Berlin, 1834ff.
- Werke: mit einem Bildnis Schleiermachers, Leipzig, 1910.