Gutai Art Association
The Gutai Art Association (1954–72) was an avant-garde collective of 17 original member artists, formed by artist, critic, and teacher Jirō Yoshihara, along with Shōzō Shimamoto, in the cosmopolitan town of Ashiya, near Osaka, in western Japan. Yoshihara's primary directive to the membership was, "Do something no one's ever done before." In the summer of 2012, the National Art Center in Tokyo exhibited Gutai: Spirit of an Era, the first major retrospective examination of the movement in the nation's capital.
- Jiro Yoshihara, "Gutai bijustsu sengen (Gutai Manifesto)", Geijutsu Shincho 7:12, Dec 1956, pp 202-204. (Japanese)
- trans. Reiko Tomii in Japanese Art after 1945: Scream against the Sky, ed. Alexandra Munroe, New York: Harry N. Abrams, and New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1994, p 370. (English)
- Gutai, permanent exhibition, Osaka City Museum of Modern Art, Osaka.
- Gutaï: exposition, Jeu de Paume, Paris, May-Jun 1999.
- "Under Each Other's Spell": Gutai and New York, Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center, East Hampton, NY, Jul-Oct 2009; Harold B. Lemmerman Gallery, Jersey City, NJ, Oct-Dec 2009; UB Anderson Gallery, U Buffalo, Spring 2010. Catalogue.
- Gutai: Painting with Time and Space, LAC, Lugano, Oct 2010-Feb 2011.
- Gutai: The Spirit of an Era, National Art Center, Tokyo, Jul-Sep 2012. Review.
- A Visual Essay on Gutai at 32 East 69th Street, Hauser & Wirth, New York, Sep-Oct 2012.
- Gutai: Splendid Playground, Guggenheim Museum, New York, Feb-May 2013. Catalogue, Munroe's essay. Review: Kunimoto (Art Journal).
See also catalogues above.
- Alexandra Munroe, "To Challenge the Midsummer Sun: The Gutai Group", in Scream Against the Sky: Japanese Art After 1945, ed. Munroe, New York: Harry N. Abrams, and New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1994, pp 83-124.
- Joan Kee, "Situating a Singular Kind of 'Action'. Early Gutai Painting, 1954-1957", Oxford Art Journal 26:2 (2003), pp 123-140.
- "1955: Nonwestern Avant-Gardes (Gutai)", in Art Since 1900, eds. Hal Foster, et al., London: Thames & Hudson, 2004, pp 373-378.
- Ming Tiampo, Gutai and Informel: Post-war Art in Japan and France, 1945-1965, Northwestern University, 2004, xxii+347 pp. PhD dissertation.
- Ming Tiampo, "Create What Has Never Been Done Before! Historicising Gutai Discourses of Originality", Third Text 21:6 (2007), pp 689-706.
- Ming Tiampo, Gutai: Decentering Modernism, University of Chicago Press, 2010. Introduction, .
- Doryun Chong, "The Dawn of Cross-Genre: Jikken Kōbō and Gutai", in Tokyo 1955-1970: A New Avant-Garde, ed. Diana C. Stoll, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2012, pp 46-57.
- John Held, jr., "Why Gutai?", SFAQ 11, San Francisco, Nov 2012-Jan 2013, pp 92-107.
- Gutai in Tate Glossary
- Encyclopedic entries