Hans Haacke (12 August 1936, Cologne) is a German-born artist who lives and works in New York.
Hans Haacke studied at the Staatliche Werkakademie in Kassel, Germany, from 1956 to 1960. He was a student of Stanley William Hayter, an English printmaker, draftsman, and painter. From 1961 to 1962 he studied on a Fulbright grant at the Tyler School of Art at Temple University in Philadelphia. From 1967 to 2002 Haacke was a professor at the Cooper Union in New York City. During his years in Germany, he was a member of Zero. In most of his work after the late 1960s, Haacke focused on the art world and the system of exchange between museums and corporations and corporate leaders; he often underlines its effects in site-specific ways. Haacke has been outspoken throughout his career about demystifying the relationship between museums and businesses and their individual practices. 
He has had solo exhibitions at the New Museum, New York (1986, 2019); Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid (2012); and MIT List Visual Arts Center, Cambridge, MA (1967, 2011); among others. He has participated in international exhibitions including documenta, Kassel (1972, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2017); Lyon Biennial (2017); Venice Biennale (1976, 1993, 2009, 2015); Liverpool Biennial (2014); and others. He has been awarded numerous prizes for his work including the Golden Lion of the Biennale di Venezia in 1993 (which he shared with Nam June Paik), the Arnold-Bode-Prize in 1919 and the Goslarer Kaiserring in 2020.
- Hans Haacke. Werkmonographie, intro. Edward F. Fry, Cologne: DuMont Schauberg, 1972, 73+ pp, IA. (German)
- Hans Haacke: Framing and Being Framed: 7 Works 1970-75, Halifax: The Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, and New York: New York University Press, 1975, 153 pp, IA. With essays by Jack Burnham, Howard S. Becker and John Walton. (English)
- Hans Haacke, vol. 1, Oxford: Museum of Modern Art, 1978, 82 pp; Eindhoven: Van Abbemuseum, 1979, 82 pp.  (English)
- Hans Haacke: Recent Work, Chicago: Renaissance Society, 1979, 51 pp. Essay by Jack Burnham. (English)
- Hans Haacke: Mobil Observations, Alberta: Southern Alberta Art Gallery, 1982,  pp, IA. (English)
- Hans Haacke, vol. 2, London: Tate Gallery, 1984.
- Hans Haacke: Unfinished Business, ed. Brian Wallis, New York: New Museum of Contemporary Art, and Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1986, 304 pp, IA. Excerpt. Essays by Rosalyn Deutsche, Hans Haacke, [Fredric Jameson]], Leo Steinberg, Brian Wallis. (English)
- Hans Haacke: artfairismes, Paris: Centre Georges Pompidou, 1989, 127 pp. Exh. held 3 May-18 Jun 1989.
- Hans Haacke, Phaidon, 2004, 160 pp. Survey by Walter Grasskamp, Interview by Molly Nesbit, Focus by Jon Bird, Artist's Choice text by Bertolt Brecht, Writings by Hans Haacke. TOC. Publisher. (English)
- Hans Haacke, for real. Works 1959-2006, eds. Matthias Flügge and Robert Fleck, Düsseldorf: Richter, 2006, 339 pp, IA. Exh. held at the Akademie der Künste, Berlin, and Deichtorhallen Hamburg. (English)
- Hans Haacke 1967, ed. Caroline A. Jones, Cambridge, MA: MIT List Visual Arts Center, 2011, 28 pp. (English)
- Hans Haacke: Castles in the Sky, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, 2012, 174 pp. Buskirk's essay. Publisher. (English)
- Castillos en el aire, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, 2012, 174 pp. Publisher. (Spanish)
- Hans Haacke: All Connected, Phaidon, and New York: New Museum, 2019, 304 pp. Exh. reviews: Rivera (Studio Int'l), Kastner (Places), Brackman (Kunstkritikk). Exhibition. Publisher. (English)
- "Untitled Statement (1967)", in Walter Grasskamp, Molly Nesbit, Jon Bird, Hans Haacke, Phaidon, 2004, pp 102-103. On the difference between a "system" and a "sculpture"; previously unpublished.
- "Essays, Texts, Interviews von 1961-1971", in Hans Haacke. Werkmonographie, intro. Edward F. Fry, Cologne: DuMont Schauberg, 1972, pp 23-54, IA. (German)
- "The Constituency", Tracks 3:3, Fall 1977.
- "Symbolic Capital Management, or What To Do With the Good, the True, and the Beautiful" , in The Academy and the Corporate Public, ed. Stephan Dillemuth, Cologne: Permanent Press, 2002, pp 28-39; repr. in Institutional Critique: An Anthology of Artists' Writings, eds. Alexander Alberro and Blake Stimson, MIT Press, 2009. The essay began as a public lecture at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1977; a revised version of the lecture was presented at the Kunsthalle Zurich in 1996. (English)
- "Museums, Managers of Consciousness", Art in America 72:2, Feb 1984; repr., rev., in Hans Haacke: Unfinished Business, 1986, pp 60-72; repr. in Institutional Critique: An Anthology of Artists' Writings, eds. Alexander Alberro and Blake Stimson, MIT Press, 2009.  (English)
- "Und ihr habt doch gesiegt", 1988.  (German)
- "In the Vice", Art Journal 50(3): "Censorship I", Autumn 1991, pp 49-55. Paper originally prepared for the panel titled "The Thought Police Are Out There" at the College Art Association annual meeting, New York, 15 Feb 1990.  (English)
- "Lessons Learned", Tate Papers 12, London, 2009.
- Working Conditions: The Writings of Hans Haacke, ed. Alexander Alberro, MIT Press, 2016, 344 pp. (English)
- Jeanne Siegel, "An Interview with Hans Haacke", Arts Magazine 45:7, May 1971, pp 18-21; repr. as "Hans Haacke: System Aesthetics", in Jeanne Siegel, Artwords: Discourse on the 60s and 70s, New York: Da Capo Press, 1992, pp 211-220, IA.  
- Carl Andre, Hans Haacke, John Perreault, Cindy Nemser, "The Role of the Artist in Today's Society", Art Journal 34:4, Summer 1975, pp 327-331. Transcript of a panel discussion at the 1973 symposium. 
- Margaret Sheffield, "Hans Haacke", Studio International 191:980, Mar-Apr 1976, pp 117-123. TOC.
- Robin White, "Hans Haacke", View 1:6, Oakland, CA: Crown Point, 1978, 24 pp.
- Yve-Alain Bois, Douglas Crimp, Rosalind Krauss, "A Conversation with Hans Haacke", October 30, Autumn 1984, pp 23-48. (English)
- with Pierre Bourdieu, Libre-Échange, Paris: Seuil, and Dijon: Les Presses du réel, 1994, 152 pp. Publisher. (French)
- Free Exchange, Cambridge, UK: Polity, 1995, 144 pp; Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1995, 144 pp. (English)
- Freier Austausch: fur die Unabhangigkeit der Phantasie und des Denkens, trans. Ilse Utz, Frankfurt am Main: Fischer, 1995, 148 pp. (German)
- Livre-troca: diálogos entre ciência e arte, Rio de Janeiro: Bertrand Brasil, 1995, 135 pp. (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Jiyū kōkan [自由ー交換: 制度批判としての文化生産], trans. Korin Kobayashi, Tokyo: 藤原書店, 1996, 195 pp. (Japanese)
- Zi you jiao liu [自由交流], Beijing, 1996. (Chinese)
- Ajatusten vapaakauppaa, trans. Kaija Kaitavuori, Rolf Büchi, et al., Helsinki: Taide, 1997, 153 pp. Publisher. (Finnish)
- L'art i el poder: intercanvi lliure, trans. Inès Champey, Barcelona: Edicions de 1984, 2004, 131 pp. (Catalan)
- Lutz Dammbeck, "Interview: Hans Haacke", n.d. For the film Das Netz (2003). (German)
- Molly Nesbit, "In Conversation with Hans Haacke", in Hans Haacke, Phaidon, 2004; repr. as "Art Is A Weapon: Hans Haacke on How Art Survived the Bush Administration", Artspace, Feb 2017. (English)
- Rosalyn Deutsche, Hans Haacke, Miwon Kwon, "Der Bevölkerung: A Conversation", Grey Room 16: "Memory/History/Democracy", Summer 2004, pp 60-81.  (English)
- Jesús Carrillo, Hans Haacke interview, REvista 2, Barcelona: MACBA, Winter 2006. (English)
- Kristen Hileman, "Romantic Realist. A Conversation with Hans Haacke", American Art 24:2, Summer 2010, pp 74-93.  (English)
- Stian Gabrielsen, "Touching Institutional Nerves. Interview with Hans Haacke", Kunstkritikk, 22 Dec 2015. (English)
- "Hans Haacke: in Conversation with Terri Cohn", AQ 5, 6 Jun 2016. (English)
- "Hans Haacke with Yasi Alipour", Brooklyn Rail, Dec 2019. (English)
- Walter Grasskamp, Hans Haacke, Photographic Notes documenta 2 1959, Deutscher Kunstverlag, 2012. (English)
- Duncan McCorquodale, Hans Haacke: Once Upon a Time..., London: Black Dog, 2013, 109 pp. Publisher. (English)
- Rachel Churner (ed.), Hans Haacke, MIT Press (October Files), 2015, x+253 pp. Essays and interviews by Jack Burnham, Edward F. Fry, Walter Grasskamp, Yve-Alain Bois, Douglas Crimp, Rosalind Krauss, Leo Steinberg, Benjamin H.D. Buchloh, Rosalyn Deutsche, Luke Skrebowski, Sam Durant, and Jack McGrath. (English)
Essays, articles, theses
- Jack Burnham, "Hans Haacke: Wind and Water Sculpture", Tri-Quarterly Supplement 1, Evanston, IL: Northwestern University, Spring 1967, pp 1-24.  (English)
- Jack Burnham, "Systems Esthetics", Artforum 7:1 (Sep 1968), pp 30-35, HTML; repr. in Burnham, Great Western Salt Works, 1974. (English)
- Jack Burnham, "Real Time Systems", Artforum 8:1 (Sep 1969), pp 49-55; repr. in Burnham, Great Western Salt Works, 1974. (English)
- trans. Franck Lemonde, in Jack Burnham and Hans Haacke, Esthétique des systèmes, ed. & pref. Emanuele Quinz, postf. Caroline A. Jones, Paris: Les presses du réel, 2015.  (French)
- Jack Burnham, "Steps in the Formulation of Real-Time Political Art", in Hans Haacke. Framing and Being Framed: 7 Works 1970-75, Halifax: The Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, and New York: New York University Press, 1975, pp 127-143. (English)
- Howard S. Becker, John Walton, "Social Science and the Work of Hans Haacke", in Hans Haacke. Framing and Being Framed: 7 Works 1970-75, Halifax: The Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, and New York: New York University Press, 1975, pp 145-154. (English)
- Benjamin H.D. Buchloh, "Hans Haacke: Memory and Instrumental Reason", Art in America 76:2, Feb 1988, pp 97-108, 157-159; repr. in Buchloh, Neo-Avantgarde and Culture Industry: Essays on European and American Art from 1955 to 1975, MIT Press (October Books), 2000, 203-241. (English)
- Mark Thomson, "Hans Haacke and the Era of Sponsorship", Art Monthly 129, London, Sep 1989, pp 10-11.  (English)
- Benjamin H.D. Buchloh, "De l'esthétique d'administration à la critique institutionnelle (Aspects de l'art conceptuel, 1962-1969)", in L'art conceptuel, une perspective, Paris: Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, 1989, pp 25-29; repr. in Buchloh, Essais historiques II, Lyon: Art édition, 1992, pp 155-212. (French)
- "Conceptual Art 1962-1969: From the Aesthetic of Administration to the Critique of Institutions", October 55, Winter 1990, pp 105-143. (English)
- more translations
- Suzanne Weaver, "Hans Haacke: An investigation of four site-specific works that incorporate painting as a means of revealing interrelated cultural, economic, and political systems in society, 1982-1984", Denton, TX: University of North Texas, 1992. Master's thesis. 
- Frazer Ward, "The Haunted Museum: Institutional Critique and Publicity", October 73, Summer 1995, pp 71-89.  (English)
- Marga Bijvoet, "Hans Haacke: Systems Artist", ch. 4 in Bijvoet, Art As Inquiry: Toward New Collaborations Between Art, Science, and Technology, Peter Lang, 1997. (English)
- "Hans Haacke: System-Künstler", ch. 4 in Bijvoet, Kunst-Forschung, n.d. (German)
- Mark Jarzombek, "Haacke's Condensation Cube: The Machine in the Box and the Travails of Architecture", Thresholds 30: "microcosms", Summer 2005, pp 98-105.  (English)
- Kirsi Peltomäki, "Affect and Spectatorial Agency: Viewing Institutional Critique in the 1970s", Art Journal 66:4, Winter 2007, pp 36-51.  (English)
- Luke Skrebowski, "All Systems Go: Recovering Hans Haacke's Systems Art", Grey Room 30, Winter 2008, pp 54-83. (English)
- Julia Bryan-Wilson, "Hans Haacke's Paperwork", ch. 5 in Bryan-Wilson, Art Workers: Radical Practice in the Vietnam War Era, University of California Press, 2009. (English)
- Vered Maimon, "The Third Citizen: On Models of Criticality in Contemporary Artistic Practices", October 129, Summer 2009, pp 85-112.  (English)
- Caroline A. Jones, "Hans Haacke 1967", in Hans Haacke 1967, MIT Press, 2011, pp 6-28. (English)
- Diana Franssen, "Van Appel tot Zadkine. Hans Haacke (8) / From Apple to Zadkine. Hans Haacke (8)", Eindhoven: Van Abbemuseum, Mar 2012. (Dutch)/(English)
- Linda Weintraub, "Hans Haacke Ecological/Political/Cultural Systems", in Weintraub, To Life!: Eco Art in Pursuit of a Sustainable Planet, University of California Press, 2012, pp 69-73. 
- Jeannine Tang, "Future Circulations: On the Work of Hans Haacke and Maria Eichhorn", in Provenance: An Alternate History of Art, Getty Research Institute, 2013, pp 173-196. (English)
- Luke Skrebowski, "After Hans Haacke: Tue Greenfort and Eco-Institutional Critique", Third Text 27:1, 2013, pp 115-130.
- Christina Chau, "Kinetic Systems: Jack Burnham and Hans Haacke", Contemporaneity: Historical Presence in Visual Culture 3, 2014, pp 62-76.
- John A. Tyson, "The Context as Host: Hans Haacke’s Art of Textual Exhibition", Word & Image 31:3, 2015, pp 213-232.
- Margaret Ann Ewing, A Politics of Action: Hans Haacke in Germany, 1972-2006, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015. PhD thesis.
- John A. Tyson, "Hans Haacke's Proofs of Commitment", Art in Print 7:3, Sep-Oct 2017, pp 28-34.  
- Collections: Paula Cooper Gallery, NGA 11, Met 9, MoMA 8, Generali 7, NGA Canada 6, Walker 5, British Museum 4, Nationalgalerie 3, Tate 3, MACBA 3, Reina Sofia 3, Pompidou 3, Allen Memorial 3, Portland Art Museum 3, SFMOMA 2, MOCA 2, LACMA 2, Moderna Museet 2, SAAM 1, Whitney 1, Artic 1, MCA Chicago 1, Mumok 1, Israel Museum 1.