Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hans Haacke (1936) is a German-born artist who currently lives and works in New York.
- "Untitled Statement (1967)", in Walter Grasskamp, Molly Nesbit, Jon Bird, Hans Haacke, Phaidon Press, 2004, pp 102-103. Explains the difference between a "system" and a "sculpture"; previously unpublished.
- "Symbolic Capital Management, or What To Do With the Good, the True, and the Beautiful" , in The Academy and the Corporate Public, ed. Stephan Dillemuth, Cologne: Permanent Press, 2002, pp 28-39; repr. in Institutional Critique: An Anthology of Artists' Writings, eds. Alexander Alberro and Blake Stimson, MIT Press, 2009. The essay began as a public lecture at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1977; a revised version of the lecture was presented at the Kunsthalle Zurich in 1996. (English)
- "Museums, Managers of Consciousness", Art in America 72:2 (Feb 1984); rev. in Haacke, Unfinished Business, 1986, pp 60-72; repr. in Institutional Critique: An Anthology of Artists' Writings, eds. Alexander Alberro and Blake Stimson, MIT Press, 2009. (English)
- Unfinished Business, ed. Brian Wallis, New York: New Museum of Contemporary Art, and Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1986. Excerpt. (English)
- with Pierre Bourdieu, Libre-Échange, 1994. (French)
- Free Exchange, Polity Press with Blackwell, 1995, 144 pp. (English)
- "Lessons Learned", Tate Papers 12, London, 2009.
- Working Conditions: The Writings of Hans Haacke, ed. Alexander Alberro, MIT Press, 2016, 344 pp. (English)
- Hans Haacke: Recent Work, Chicago: Renaissance Society, 1979, 51 pp. (English)
- Hans Haacke 1967, ed. Caroline A. Jones, Cambridge, MA: MIT List Visual Arts Center, 2011, 28 pp. (English)
- Hans Haacke: Castles in the Sky, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, 2012, 174 pp. Buskirk's essay.  (English)
- Castillos en el aire, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, 2012, 174 pp.  (Spanish)
- Robin White, "Hans Haacke", View 1:6, Oakland, CA: Crown Point, 1978, 24 pp.
- Yve-Alain Bois, Douglas Crimp, Rosalind Krauss, "A Conversation with Hans Haacke", October 30, Autumn 1984, pp 23-48. (English)
- Lutz Dammbeck, "Interview: Hans Haacke", n.d. For the film Das Netz (2003). (German)
- Stian Gabrielsen, "Touching Institutional Nerves. Interview with Hans Haacke", Kunstkritikk, 22 Dec 2015. (English)
- "Hans Haacke: in Conversation with Terri Cohn", AQ 5, 6 Jun 2016. (English)
- Benjamin H.D. Buchloh, "Hans Haacke: Memory and Instrumental Reason", Art in America, Feb 1988, pp 96ff.
- Marga Bijvoet, "Hans Haacke: Systems Artist", ch. 4 in Bijvoet, Art As Inquiry: Toward New Collaborations Between Art, Science, and Technology, Peter Lang, 1997. (English)
- "Hans Haacke: System-Künstler", ch. 4 in Bijvoet, Kunst-Forschung, n.d. (German)
- Walter Grasskamp, Molly Nesbit, Jon Bird, Hans Haacke, Phaidon Press, 2004, 160 pp.  (English)
- Luke Skrebowski, "All Systems Go: Recovering Hans Haacke's Systems Art", Grey Room 30 (Winter 2008), pp 54-83. (English)
- Caroline A. Jones, "Hans Haacke 1967", in Hans Haacke 1967, MIT Press, 2011, pp 6-28. (English)
- Jeannine Tang, "Future Circulations: On the Work of Hans Haacke and Maria Eichhorn", in Provenance: An Alternate History of Art, Getty Research Institute, 2013, pp 173-196. (English)
- Luke Skrebowski, "After Hans Haacke: Tue Greenfort and Eco-Institutional Critique", Third Text 27:1 (2013), pp 115-130.
- John A. Tyson, "The Context as Host: Hans Haacke’s Art of Textual Exhibition", Word & Image 31:3, 2015, pp 213-232.
- Rachel Churner (ed.), Hans Haacke, MIT Press (October Files), 2015, x+253 pp. Essays and interviews by Jack Burnham, Edward F. Fry, Walter Grasskamp, Yve-Alain Bois, Douglas Crimp, Rosalind Krauss, Leo Steinberg, Benjamin H.D. Buchloh, Rosalyn Deutsche, Luke Skrebowski, Sam Durant, and Jack McGrath. (English)
- Hans Haacke, New Museum, New York, 16 Oct 2019-5 Jan 2020. Retrospective exhibition.