August 6, 1947|
Nové Město na Moravě, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic)
|Based in||Brno, Czech Republic|
J.H. Kocman (born Jiří Hynek Kocman, 1947, Nové Město na Moravě, Czech Republic) is a Czech artist. Together with Jiří Valoch and Dalibor Chatrný, Kocman counts among the leading protagonists of Czech conceptual art whose life and work are closely linked with Brno. He is best known for his Artists' publishing and Mail art.
J.H. Kocman graduated from the University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno (1965–1971). He worked for 27 years in the field of clinical pharmacology, legislation, registration, and information technology for veterinary medicines at the Institute for the State Control of Veterinary Biologics and Medicines in Brno. He has dedicated himself intensively to fine art since 1965. Around 1970, he moved from lyrical and structural abstraction to conceptual art, book-objects, and later to paper-art. He studied aesthetics privately with Jiří Valoch (from 1965), paper and artistic book-binding with Jindřich Svoboda (from 1976), and paper and book restoration with Tomáš Vyskočil (from 1979). His work has been exhibited at 22 solo shows in the Czech Republic and 12 abroad; he has taken part in 132 group shows in the Czech Republic and 192 abroad. From 1993-2017 he was a lecturer at the Faculty of Arts, Technical University in Brno (in 1993-1998 part-time). In 1996 he was made Docent in the field of Conceptual Art by the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague. In 1997 he founded the Paper and Book Studio, which was transformed into the Paper and Book Atelier in 1998, and which was unique in its conceptual approach within the entire European university context.
- J.H. Kocman. Papíry, knihy / Handmade Papers, Artist's Books, Brno: Český fond výtvarných umění – Dílo Brno, 1991. Text by Jiří Valoch. (Czech)/(English)
- Jiří H. Kocman. Pure Experiences, University of Reading, 1992. Text by Pavel Büchler. (English)
- J.H. Kocman: Autorské knihy a papíry / Artists' Books and Papers, ed. Zuzana Fořtová, Prague: Galerie Rudolfinum, 1997, 47 pp, PDF. Text by Jiří Valoch. (Czech)/(English)
- Šumavsko-váchalovské interpretace J.H.Kocmana, Prague: Galerie Ztichlá Klika, 2010,  pp. Text by Josef Kroutvor. (Czech)
- JHK & APK: Příběh Ateliéru papír a kniha, 1998-2011, Brno: B4U Publishing, 2014,  pp. Text by Jiří H. Kocman. (Czech)
- Fenomén Ateliér papír a kniha. Autorské knihy a objekty studentů J.H. Kocmana / The Phenomenon of the Paper and Book Atelier: Artists' Books and Objects by J.H. Kocman's Students, ed. Gina Renotière, Olomouc: Muzeum umění, 2016, 153 pp. Texts by Gina Renotière, Pavel Büchler, Ivo Binder; interview with Kocman. (Czech)/(English)
- J.H. Kocman: Art Activities 1970-1979, Brno: Moravian Gallery, 2017. Texts by Ondřej Chrobák, Kenneth Friedman, Jana Písaříková, Jiří Valoch. Excerpt. (English)/(Czech)