Karl Ioganson, Moscow, c1922.
January 16, 1890|
Cēsis, Latvia, Russian Empire
October 18, 1929 (aged 39)|
Moscow, Soviet Union
Karl Ioganson (Kārlis Johansons, Kaрл Вольдемарович Иогансон; 1890-1929) was a Latvian and Russian Constructivist artist.
Drawings for the construction/composition debate at Inkhuk
Ioganson, Graphic Representation of a Construction, 7 Apr 1921. Colored pencil and pencil on paper, 32.3 x 24.1 cm. Costakis.
Ioganson, Plan of a Composition: Natur-Morte, 7 Apr 1921. Colored pencil, ink, and pencil on paper, 24.3 x 31.8 cm. Costakis.
Construction by Ioganson (Representation), 1922. Paper collage, graphite, and colored pencil on paper. 45.5 x 33.7 cm. Costakis
Electrical Circuit (Representation), 1922. Paper collage, graphite, and colored pencil on paper. 45.4 x 33.6 cm. Costakis
- "Ot konstruktsii k tekhnike i izobreteniiu" [От конструкции к технике и изобретению] [9 Mar 1922], typescript, 3 pp; Khan-Magomedov collection, Moscow; printed in Maria Gough, The Artist as Producer, Harvard University, 1997. Given as lecture at INKhUK as part of the ongoing discussion about a "move into production"; outlines two different kinds of construction: the "artistic" and "real 'structural-technical'" (podlinnyi "stroitel'no-tekhnicheskii"), and argues that the role of the Constructivist artist must be not that of a creator of utilitarian objects (as in tekhnika) but of an inventor (izobretatel' ). (Russian)
- "From Construction to Technology and Invention", trans. James West, in Art Into Life: Russian Constructivism, 1914-1932, eds. Richard Andrews and Milena Kalinovska, New York: Rizzoli, 1990, p 70. (English)
- "From Construction to Tekhnika and Invention", in Maria Gough, The Artist as Producer, Harvard University, 1997. (English)
- S.O. Khan-Magomedov (Селим Хан-Магомедов), "Пространственные конструкции К. Иогансона, К. Медунецкого, В. и Г. Стенбергов и А. Родченко", in Khan-Magomedov, Arkhitektura sovetskogo avangarda, 1 [Архитектура советского авангарда, 1], Moscow: Stroyizdat, 1996. (Russian)
- Maria Gough, The Artist as Producer: Karl Ioganson, Nikolai Tarabukin and Russian Constructivism, 1918-1926, Harvard University, 1997. Dissertation. (English)
- Maria Gough, "In the Laboratory of Constructivism. Karl Ioganson's Cold Structures", October 84 (Spring 1998), pp 90-117; new version as "In the Laboratory of Constructivism", ch. 2 in Gough, The Artist as Producer: Russian Constructivism in Revolution, University of California Press, 2005, pp 60-99. (English)
- "Letter from Kenneth Snelson to Maria Gough on Karl Ioganson", 17 Jun 2003. (English)
- Maria Gough, The Artist as Producer: Russian Constructivism in Revolution, University of California Press, 2005, 257 pp. (English)