Marcel Danesi (1946) is a current Professor of Semiotics and Linguistic Anthropology at the University of Toronto. He is known for his work in language, communications, and semiotics; being Director of the Program in semiotics and communication theory.
- Vico, Metaphor, and the Origin of Language, Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1993.
- Cool: The Signs and Meanings of Adolescence, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1994.
- Giambattista Vico and the Cognitive Science Enterprise, New York: Peter Lang, 1995.
- Sign, Thought and Culture: a Basic Course in Semiotics, Toronto: Canadian Scholars' Press, 1998.
- Of Cigarettes, High Heels, and Other Interesting Things: an Introduction to Semiotics, London: Palgrave, 1999.
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Semiotics, Media, and Communications, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2000, PDF.
- Understanding Media Semiotics, London: Arnold Hodder, 2002.
- Forever Young: the Teen-Aging of Modern Culture, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2003.
- La metafora nel pensiero e nel linguaggio, Brescia: La Scuola, 2003. (Italian)
- A Basic Course in Anthropological Linguistics, Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2004, PDF.
- Poetic Logic: the Role of Metaphor in Thought, Language, and Culture, Madison, WI: Atwood, 2004.
- Why It Sells: Decoding the Meanings of Brand Names, Logos, Ads, and Other Marketing and Advertising Ploys, Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2008.
- X-rated! : the power of mythic symbolism in popular culture, Palgrave and Macmillan, 2009.
- editor, Encyclopedia of Media and Communication, University of Toronto Press, 2013, PDF.
- with Antonio Nicaso, Made Men: Mafia Culture and the Power of Symbols and Ritual, Rowman & Littlefield, 2013.
- Discovery in Mathematics: An Interdisciplinary Approach, Munich: Lincom Europa, 2013.
- Signs of Crime: Introduction to Forensic Semiotics, Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 2013.
- Popular Culture: Introductory Perspectives, 3rd ed. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.