Born in 1941 in Benešov. After studying nuclear engineering at the Charles University and the Technical University in Prague, from 1968 to 1977 he studied art history, philosophy, and history at the University of Hamburg, the FU Berlin, and the University of Osnabrück. In 1977 he submitted his doctorate, “The Painting of the New Objectivity in Germany”. From the 1970s to the 1990s Pavel Liška was research associate at the technical colleges of Dortmund, Münster, and Düsseldorf. Between 1985–1992 research associate at the Kölnischen Kunstverein and the Kunstverein Düsseldorf. Since 1992 freelance organizer of exhibitions, editor of catalogues, and active as an art critic for the Deutsche Welle and diverse Prague newspapers. There followed stations in Liberec (director of the department of art and architecture history at the architecture faculty, TU Liberec, 1995–1997) and Brno (director of the House of Art Brno, 1997–2001). From 2001–2006 Pavel Liška was first research director, then curator for contemporary art in Eastern Europe at the Museum Ostdeutsche Galerie in Regensburg. In 2006 he was appointed rector at the Academy for Art, Architecture and Design (VŠUP) in Prague.