Martha Rosler at New Langton Arts in San Francisco, March 1980. Photo: Fred Lonidier.
July 29, 1943|
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Web||UbuWeb Film, Aaaaarg, Wikipedia|
Martha Rosler (1943) is an American artist. She works in video, photo-text, installation, and performance, as well as writing about art and culture. Rosler’s work is centered on everyday life and the public sphere, often with an eye to women's experience. Recurrent concerns are the media and war, as well as architecture and the built environment, from housing and homelessness to systems of transport.
- Martha Rosler Reads Vogue: Wishing, Dreaming, Winning, Spending, Paper Tiger TV, 1982.
- 3 Works, Halifax: Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, 1981; 2006.
- If You Lived Here: The City in Art, Theory, and Social Activism: A Project by Martha Rosler, ed. Brian Wallis, Seattle: Bay Press, 1991; repr., New York: New Press, 1999.
- Positions in the Life World, ed. Catherine de Zegher, MIT Press, 1999, 304 pp. Review: Stimson (CAA 2000).
- "In, Around, and Afterthoughts (On Documentary Photography)" in 3 Works, Halifax: Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, 1981; repr. in The Context of Meaning: Critical Histories of Photography, ed. Richard Bolton, MIT Press, 1989, pp 303-325, IA; repr. in Photography: A Critical Reader, ed. Liz Wells, London: Routledge, 2000.
- "I, omkring og ettertanker (om dokumenterende fotografi)", UKS-Forum for Samtidskunst 1-2, Oslo, 1979. (Norwegian)
- "Drinnen, drumherum und nachtragliche Gedanken (zur Dokumentarfotografie)", in Martha Rosler. Positionen in der Lebenswelt, ed. Sabine Breitwieser, Vienna: Generali Foundation, and Cologne: Walther Koenig, 1999. (German)
- Decoys and Disruptions: Selected Writings, 1975-2001, MIT Press, 2004.
- Imágenes públicas, Gustavo Gili, 2007. (Spanish)
- Rights of Passage, NYFA, 1995.
- In the Place of the Public: Airport Series, Cantz, 1997.
- Passionate Signals, Cantz, 2005.
- Martha Rosler. Positionen in der Lebenswelt, ed. & intro. Sabine Breitwieser, forew. Dietrich Karner, Vienna: Generali Foundation, and Cologne: Walther Koenig, 1999, 400 pp. With interview by Benjamin H.D. Buchloh with Rosler; texts by Alexander Alberro, Sabine Breitwieser, Silvia Eiblmayr, Annette Michelson, Martha Rosler and Catherine de Zegher.  (German)