Terry Michael Barrett (born 1945) is an American art critic, and professor of art education at University of North Texas and Professor Emeritus at The Ohio State University. His books, anthology chapters, and articles are about contemporary art, art criticism, aesthetics and photography.
- Talking About Student Art, Davis Publications, 1997.
- Criticizing Art, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2nd edition, 2000.
- Interpreting Art, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- Criticizing Photographs: An introduction to Undersranding Images, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1990, 2nd edition, 1996, 3rd edition, 2000, 4th edition, 2006.
- Why Is That Art?: Aesthetics and Criticism of Contemporary Art, New York: Oxford, 2008.
- Making Art: Form and Meaning, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010.
- Lessons for Teaching Art Criticism, Bloomington, IN: ERIC Art, 1995.
- Kunst Werkt: Mensen Reageren op Hedendaagse Kunst (Art Works: People Respond to Contemporary Art), Thieme Art: Amsterdam, 2010.
- Book chapters
- "A Structure for Appreciating Photographs" in Teaching Photography, (Tom Frederick and Tony Neff, editors). Chicago, IL: Society for Photographic Education, 1981.
- "Photographs and Contexts", anthologized article in Aesthetics: A Reader of Philosophy of the Arts, (David Goldblatt and Lee Brown editors), Prentice-Hall, 1997, pages 110-116.
- "Interpreting Photographs", 2000 Taipei International Photofest, Taipei, Taiwan: Epson, 2000, pages 70-82.
- "Teaching about Photography: Selectivity, Instantaneity, and Credibility", Art Education, Vol. 39, no. 3. (May, 1986):12-15.
- "Teaching about Photography: Photographs and Contexts", Art Education, Vol. 39, no. 4. (Jul., 1986):33-36.
- "Part III. Teaching about Photography: Types of Photographs", Art Education, Vol. 39, no. 5. (Sep., 1986):41-44.
- "A Theoretical Construct for Interpreting Photographs", Studies in Art Education", Vol. 27, no. 2 (Winter, 1986):52-60.