|Born||Split, Croatia, Yugoslavia|
|Based in||Split, Croatia|
Ana Peraica is a lecturer in visual culture and history of media arts at the Department for Image Science, University of Danube in Krems, Austria.
She holds an MA in art history and philosophy from the University of Zagreb. Afterwards she was a researcher in art theory at the Jan Van Eyck Akademie, Maastricht. In parallel, she undertook a 3-year doctorate course in cultural analysis, theory and interpretation at ASCA, University of Amsterdam, and defended her thesis entitled Fotografija kao dokaz [Photography as the Evidence] at the University of Rijeka.
Peraica covers a variety of approaches to contemporary arts and visual culture. She lives and works in Diocletian's palace in Split (Croatia) where she runs a family photo studio Atelier Perajica and actively engages in the preservation of life inside this inhabited Roman monument on the World Heritage list.
She is the author of Culture of the Selfie (Amsterdam, 2017) and Sub/versions (Berlin, 2009), and editor of a number of books. Her essays in the domains of visual studies and media theory have been published in journals such as Leonardo, Afterimage, Institute of Physics Conference Series, and in magazines such as Springerin, Art & Education Papers, Documenta Magazine, Pavilion, and Flash Art.
- editor, Žena na raskrižju ideologija, Split: Hrvatsko društvo likovnih umjetnika (HULU), 2007, 240 pp, Scribd. (Croatian)
- editor, Victims' Symptom: PTSD and Culture, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Culture (Theory on Demand #3), 2009, 154 pp, PDF.
- Sub/versions: Essays in Contemporary Art and Culture, Berlin: Vice Versa Vertrieb & Revolver, 2009, 309 pp. A collection of essays on contemporary media art from 2000-2008.
- editor, Smuggling Anthologies Reader, Rijeka: Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, 2015, 335 pp, Issuu.
- Culture of the Selfie. Self-Representation in Contemporary Visual Culture, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Culture (Theory on Demand #24), 2017, 115 pp, PDF.
- Fotografija kao dokaz: primjena tehnologijske definicije fotografije na raspravu u estetici i teoriji fotografije, Zagreb: Multimedijalni institut, 2018, 219 pp. (Croatian)
- The Age of Total Images: Disappearance of a Subjective Viewpoint in Post-digital Photography, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Culture (Theory on Demand #34), 2019, 143 pp, EPUB.