Matko Meštrović (1933, island of Korcula, Croatia) is an art and culture historian.
High school completed in Split. Graduated in History of Art and Culture from the Faculty of Philosophy, Zagreb University (1958). As a French government grantee spent six months in Paris in 1961. From August 1969 to July 1970 as an IREX grantee was at the following universities in the United States: Columbia University, New York, UCLA, Los Angeles (Art Department and Journalism Department), MIT, Cambridge (Center for Advanced Visual Studies), Pennsylvania University, Philadelphia (The Annenberg School of Communication). Ph.D. thesis defended at University of Zagreb in 1978. He was a professor at the Faculty of Architecture, University of Zagreb.
In 1961 he initiated, with Božo Bek and Almir Mavignier, the network New Tendencies and was one of its leading forces. In 1968 he was a member of the organizational committee of Tendencije 4 – Computers and Visual Research and co-publisher of the magazine Bit International (and editor of Bit International 4 in 1969), which appeared from 1968–1972 and concentrated on the intersections of technology, science, art, design and media.
1956–1964 worked as art critic for Radio Zagreb. 1959–1966 founding member of Gorgona.
The 60s were the period of his life completely devoted to the newly established Center for Industrial Design, in 1964-1968 as head of the information department. He was also close to ICSID (the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design). His interest in technology and information science goes back to activities in the Croatian Sociological Society and the International Association of Mass Communication Researchers (IAMCR) in the 70s. Being the consultant to general manager of Zagreb Radio and Television (1970-1987), he tried to introduce the most advanced professional and theoretical know-how concerning public information. He later served as director of the Institute for Culture of Croatia (1987-1992).
He is senior research fellow at the Zagreb Institute of Economics where he initiated the research project Cultural capital and development strategy of Croatia.
He lives in Zagreb.
- Od pojedinačnog općem [From the Particular to the General], Zagreb: Mladost, 1967, 362 pp; Zagreb: DAF, 2005. Review: Poznić (ZU). (Croatian)
- with Fedor Kritovac, Osnove metodologije industrijskog dizajna, Zagreb: Centar za industrijsko oblikovanje, 1968, 69 pp. (Croatian)
- editor, Društvenost komunikacije / Sociality of Communication, Zagreb: Zavod za kulturu Hrvatske, 1978, 350 pp.
- Obrisi bez obrasca [Contours without Patterns], Zagreb: Mladost, 1979, 220 pp. (Croatian)
- Teorija dizajna i problemi okoline [Design Theory and Environmental Problems], Zagreb: Naprijed, 1980, 327 pp. (Croatian)
- "Design and Environment", intro. Fedja Vukić, Journal of Design History 30:2, 2016, pp 212-230. Trans. of the chapter "Dizajn i okolina". (English)
- Svijet, svijest i zavisnost [The World, Consciousness and Dependence], Zagreb: August Cesarec, 1983, 332 pp. (Croatian)
- editor, Kabelska televizija intermedijalni medij, Zagreb: Televizija, Služba za poslove razvoja, 1986, 92 pp. (Croatian)
- editor, Informacijski sistemi Radio-televiziji Zagreb, Zagreb: Televizija, 1987, 146 pp. (Croatian)
- Roba i sloboda: ogledi iz nepropitane suvremenosti [Goods and Freedom], Zagreb: Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada, 1995, 269 pp. (Croatian)
- editor, with Aleksandar Štulhofer, Sociokulturni kapital i tranzicija u Hrvatskoj [Social Capital and Transition in Croatia], Zagreb: Hrvatsko sociološko društvo, 1998. (Croatian)
- editor, Globalizacjia i njene refleksije u Hrvatskoj, Zagreb: Ekonomski Institut, 2001, 283 pp. (Croatian)
- Globalization and Its Reflections on (in) Croatia, New York: Global Scholarly Publ., 2003, 404 pp. (English)
- Vrijeme zbilje: ususret evolucijskom ubrzanju, Zagreb: Jesenski i Turk, 2002, 303 pp. (Croatian)
- Raspršenje smisla: doktrinarni svijet na izmaku?, Zagreb: Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada, 2007, 266 pp.
- Dispersion of Meaning: The Fading Out of the Doctrinaire World?, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008, ix+173 pp. (English)
- Towards a New Orientation, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012, xiii+124 pp. (English)
- editor, Živi Marx, Zagreb: Jesenski i Turk, 2013, 142 pp. Includes Croatian translations of articles originally published in Italian on the website UniNomade 2.0, Dossier Marx vivo. (Croatian)
- [untitled], in Nove Tendencije 2, 1963; repr. as "Idelogija Novih tendencija" [The Ideology of New Tendencies], in Meštrović, Od pojedinačnog općem, Zagreb: Mladost, 1967. (Croatian)
- "Analisi sociologica di nuova tendenza", Venice, c1963. (Italian)
- "The Situation of NT", Bit International 3, Zagreb, 1968, pp 41-44.
- "Art and Technology - Yesterday and Today", 1998. Talk delivered at the XXXII AICA Congress, Japan.
- "Vrijeme zbiljnosti", Socijalna ekologija 7:3, May 1998. (Croatian)
- "Computer and Visual Research – Ways of thinking and scope of acting", 2004.
- "Culture - Commonness of the Common?", Internet-Zeitschrift für Kulturwissenschaften 15, Jun 2004.
- "Global Crisis and Social Earth", Internet-Zeitschrift für Kulturwissenschaften 16, Aug 2006.
- "How to Understand Media Arts", Zarez 9:208, 2007.
- Gillo Dorfles, Oscilacije ukusa i moderne umjetnosti, Zagreb: Mladost, 1963, 184 pp. Trans. of Le oscillazioni del gusto e l'arte moderna. (Croatian)
- Ilaria Bignotti, "Matko Meštrović. Di ogni processo storico bisogna analizzare convergenze e divergenze; nessun percorso storico è lineare, ma fatto di richiami e di riprese", Ricerche di S/Confine 2, 2013. (Italian)