Portrait of Gertrude Stein by Man Ray, 1920s.
February 3, 1874|
Allegheny, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
July 27, 1946 (aged 72)|
|Web||UbuWeb Sound, UbuWeb Historical, Aaaaarg, Wikipedia|
Gertrude Stein (1874–1946) was an American writer of novels, poetry and plays that eschewed the narrative, linear, and temporal conventions of 19th-century literature, and a fervent collector of Modernist art. She was born in West Allegheny (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, raised in Oakland, California, and moved to Paris in 1903, making France her home for the remainder of her life.
- Tender Buttons: Objects, Food, Rooms, New York: Claire Marie, 1914, 78 pp.
- Tenros Botões, trans. Luci Collin, 2013. (Portuguese)
- Picasso, Paris: Floury, 1938, 168 pp. Biography. (French)
- Picasso, London: BT Batsford, 1938, vii+55 pp; repr., London: Batsford, 1946; New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1946; repr., Boston: Beacon, 1959, vii+50 pp, OL; repr., New York: Dover, 1984, vii+55+ pp, OL. (English)
- Picasso: Erinnerungen, trans. Ursula von Wiese, Zürich: Arche, 1958, 55 pp; Leipzig: Insel, 1986, 66 pp. (German)
- Picasso, trans. Virginia Cardoso, Buenos Aires: Schapire, 1954, 180 pp. (Spanish)
- Picasso, trans. Viviana Di Majo, Milan: Adelphi, 1973, 87+ pp; 2nd ed., 1978; 3rd ed., 1981. (Italian)
- Picasso, trans. Mira Michałowska, Warsaw: Wydawnictwa Artystyczne i Filmowe, 1974, 93+16 pp; 2nd ed., 1976; 3rd ed., 1982. (Polish)
- Picasso, trans. Judit Acsay, Budapest: Glória, 2001, 71 pp. (Hungarian)
- Picasso, trans. Kerstin Karling, Stockholm: Bromberg, 1982, 87 pp. (Swedish)
- Picasso, Hellerup: Bløndal, 1992, 102 pp. (Danish)
- Picasso, trans. Kaya Özsezgin, Ankara: Gece, 1995, 63+16 pp. (Turkish)
- Picasso, trans. Flora Casas, Madrid: La Esfera de los Libros, 2002, 127 pp. (Spanish)
- The Complete Writings, ed. pynch, self-published, 2017. (English)
- Georges Braque, Eugene Jolas, Maria Jolas, Henri Matisse, André Salmon, Tristan Tzara, Testimony Against Gertude Stein, The Hague: Servire Press, 1935.
- Richard Kostelanetz (ed.), Gertrude Stein Advanced: An Anthology of Criticism, Jefferson/NC and London: McFarland, 1990, 224 pp.
- Helmut Schwarztrauber, "Caring for the careless," Or: Rearranging a Literary Masquerade - Gertrude Stein's 'Four Lives'", EESE 6 (2001).
- Alex Goody, Modernist Articulations: A Cultural Study of Djuna Barnes, Mina Loy and Gertrude Stein, Palgrave Macmillan, 2007, 242 pp.
- Wanda Corn, Tirza Latimer, Seeing Gertrude Stein: Five Stories, University of California Press, 2011, 416 pp. 
- Astrid Lorange, How Reading Is Written: A Brief Index to Gertrude Stein, Wesleyan University Press, 2014. 
- Patricia Allmer, John Sears (eds.), 4 Saints in 3 Acts: A Snapshot of the American Avant-garde in the 1930s, Manchester University Press, 2017, 200 pp. Exhibition held Oct 2017-Feb 2018. Curators' introduction.
- Critical bibliography
- Seeing Gertrude Stein: Five Stories, online companion to exhibition at National Portrait Gallery
- Collection of resources for the study of Stein's work
- Portraits in NYPL Digital Collections