Roman Cotoşman (1935, Jimbolia - 2006, Philadelphia) became interested in constructivism, op-art, kinetic art and abstractionism after a trip to Paris in 1963. In 1966 he joined artists Ştefan Bertalan and Constantin Flondor to inaugurate the Group 111, with a regional exhibition in Timisoara. He settled in Philadelphia in 1970 and was awarded the Annual Prize for the Best Painting Exhibition at the Cheltenham Art Centre in 1975 and 1984. The reinterpretation of the realm of forms led Cotoşman to abstraction, to the point of a “rhythmical void, expressed through minimalist sculpture-objects.
Solo exhibitions include The Transcendence of Void, Bucharest, 1996 and Collages, München, 1995. Group exhibitions (selection): The Romanian Pavilion at the Venice Biennale, 1995; Konstruktive Kunst in Europa nach 1920, Karlsruhe, 1992; Creation and European Synchronism. The Artistic movement in Timişoara, Bucharest, 1991.