Sher Doruff is an artist, writer and theorist. She coordinates third cycle research cohorts at the DAS Graduate School, Amsterdam University of the Arts (THIRD!) and at the Gerrit Rietveld Academy of Art and Design (Making Things Public), Amsterdam. Additionally she tutors in the Master of Choreography program at the Amsterdam University of the Arts. She has published numerous texts in academic and artistic contexts. She is a member of several editorial boards including the Journal of Artistic Research.
Doruff specialises in image processing, digital audio/video, interactive applications and real time performance technology for theater and the Internet, working with interactive technologies in collaboration with electronic composers, choreographers, interdisciplinary artists and theatermakers. Doruff worked as artist in residence at the Banff Centre for the Arts, the Internationale Cité des Arts in Paris and at the STEIM foundation in Amsterdam. She regularly hosts workshops and lectures on interactive media design. She also wrote several technical handbooks on new media software. Creative director of the Sensing Presence programme (2002-2004) and Connected:Live Art (2003-2005) of the Waag Society in Amsterdam and since 1998 part of the development team of the KeyWorx (formerly KeyStroke), a distributed, multi-user, multi-channel, cross-media synthesis platform. Received her PhD in 2006 from University of the Arts London/Central Saint Martins/Smartlab. Her research focused on situating translocal performance practice enabled by KeyWorx in a conceptual frame that references the affective intensities of diagrams, biograms and polyrhythms.
- editor, with Nancy Mauro-Flude, Connected: LiveArt, Amsterdam: Waag Society, 2005, 160 pp.
- The Translocal Event and the Polyrhythmic Diagram, London: Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, 2006, 288 pp. PhD dissertation.
- Last Year at Betty and Bob’s: A Novelty, London: Open Humanities Press, 2017, 136 pp; repr., Punctum Books, 2018, 172 pp. Publisher.
- Last Year at Betty and Bob’s: An Adventure, Punctum Books, 2018, 212 pp. Publisher.
- Interviews, conversations
- with Lucy Cotter, "Writing as Experiment: A Dialogue with Sher Doruff", MaHKUscript. Journal of Fine Art Research 2:1, 2017.