Nancy Mauro-Flude is an artist, theorist and digital caretaker. Her research is driven by the demystification of technology and the ‘mystification’ that lies in and through the performance of the machinic assemblage. Grappling with the talismanic logics of island cultures, medium experimentation, and pedagogy form the basis of her work, where the computer is approached as a theatre machine.
Under various pseudonyms and in various cooperations, Nancy actively works to fuse radical forms of open culture by introducing experimental pedagogy with a particular focus on relatively conservative and weakly networked regions.
"...Gray magics, hijackings, driftings and seizures of power the sensitive and subversive subterfuges by which she urges, twists and explores the aesthetic politic of the open source spirit" (Anne Goldenberg, 2013) ".dpi feminist journal of art and digital culture."
Alumni of Piet Zwart Institute, co founder of Moddr part of the WORM venue in Rotterdam.
She leads Holistic Computing Art, Technology, Materiality research and is a member of "Digital Ethnography Research Centre", RMIT Melbourne.
Founder of Desponias Critical Media Coven and long-term member of the Genderchangers home brewed since 1998, working to actively change the ‘gender’ of technology. Involves projects such as systerserver, Eclectic Tech Carnival.
- Selected projects
- Paraphernalia Live performance and Custom HID sound tools (2015-9)
- Error_in_Time() Live Code Poetry performance Art of Hacking Netherlands New Media Art institute, and Transmediale (2014-5)
- The Feminist Server Stack Networked performance, Transmediale (2015).
- Divination Divination (2016) DarkMofo MONA Museum New and Old Art Tasmania
- CyberFeminst Bedsheet Transfigured 2018 - 2019 in collaboration with Linda Dement.
- A Chrystaline Sphere 2022.
- Selected Curatorial work
- Economythologies EMLX 2020 - ongoing Critical thinking, making and trading for the New World Disorder, an emphasis on voices from the Asia-Pacific region, participants to collectively imagine new aesthetic ways of (re-)configuring art and economy
- encoding_experience/10_October_2008_18:00_EST.* Plimsoll Gallery, Tasmania 2008.
- TacticalMagick.net Networked Art Forms: Tactical Magick Faerie Circuits, 2013.
- Microbites.me Microbites of Innovation. Art Track ACM Creativity and Cognition, 2017.
- Internet Lore Asia Writing for the Internet: Internet lore in Asia. Asia Research Institute, 2018.
- Vvitchvvave Post Digital Aesthetics Symposium and Exhibition, Siteworks, 2019.
- Asemic Runway 2022.
- Selected publications
- Nancy Mauro-Flude & Jo Pollitt (2023) "Choreographic Computabilties", Leonardo 2023; 56 (1): 50–57. doi: doi:10.1162/leon_a_02301.
- Nancy Mauro-Flude & Yoko Akama (2022) "A feminist server stack", CoDesign International Journal for Art and Design, 18:1, 48-62. doi:10.1080/15710882.2021.2021243.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2022) "Caring about the Vast Non-Existent Horizon: Cosmographic infrastructures and performances of care in twenty-first-century feminist art practice" Care Ethics and Art an anthology. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780367765651 Chapter 16 pp 212-223.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2021) [https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10304312.2021.1983260
"Writing the Feminist Internet: A Chthonian Feminist Internet Theory for the Twenty First Century"] In Eds., A. Maddox, R. W .Gehl, T. Cinque. The Dark Social: Online Practices of Resistance, Motility and Power. Continuum Journal of Media & Cultural Studies 35:5, 788-804. doi:10.1080/10304312.2021.1983260.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy; Geck, Kate (2020) "Taxonomy for the Contiguous Spectrum: Corporeal Computing futures and the Performance of Signal Transmission" 26th International Symposium on Electronic Art ISEA ISEA2020: WHY SENTIENCE? Montrea, pp. 275-282, ISBN: 978-2-9816413-2-8.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2019) "Vessels of Infinite Veracity: Command-line Incantation" Art+Australia Journal. Outside Issue: 6. (56.1) December.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2019), "Performing The Internet", Post Digital Folklore, Digital Humanities and Scholarly Research Trends in the Asia-Pacific, Pen:IGI-Global.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2015) "Don’t mess with my settings", AM Journal of Art and Media Studies 8.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2016) "Divine Trash Strata", Unlikely: Journal for Creative Arts Issue 2, University of Melbourne.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2016) "Paraphernalia A Design Approach for Electronic-Performance Tools", Leonardo MIT Volume 48, 3. June 2015.
- Mauro-Flude, Nancy (2015) "The Intimacy of the Command Line", Scan | Journal of Media Arts Culture Volume 10, 2. 2013.
- Mauro-Flude, N (2015), 'Linux for Artists: Embodiment & Nix Modus Operandi', in A Mansoux & M de Valk (eds.), FLOSS+Art, GOTO10, Poitiers, France. MUTE, London, pp. 206-223.
- Selected interviews
- Alana Hunt, Activating the textures of Post-Digital Aesthetics A conversation with Nancy Mauro-Flude, Tom Penney , 28 February 2019.
- Leandro Palacio, "Coding technology for a eulogy to Tasmanian elder. Valetudo", 2013. Video.
- Ragna Rök Jóns, Is the 4th wave of feminism digital? , August 19, 2013.
- Kendall Grady, you will _KNOW how_ : an interview with Nancy Mauro-Flude, 31 Oct 2011.