we can speak about monoskop here.
central + east europe geography
the former Monoskop geo discourse was targeted to CE+EE territory, after the discussion, the geo was widened to Europa. talk to this subject not over, there is much more to answer.
why not define the context by geo & ideo borders? -- c+e europe & digital media. --Dusan, 3 Aug 2004 (CEST)
- just europa (geographically), and changing perception and expressivity, no? --XGZ 20:02, 3 Aug 2004 (CEST)
hm, central+east europe vs rest of the world outdated discussion? what have i been doing all that time? hibernating? missed the paradigm update. come back to 90s and send me the link to upgrade me, possible? sth to read. how did it all happened? east/west 0's&1's media discourse. any good references? --Dusan, 4 Aug 2004 (CEST)
- whellllllllllll started reading: balkan as a metaphor (between globalization and fragmentation) by dusan bjelic and obrad savic, mit press 2002 --XGZ 19:38, 4 Aug 2004 (CEST)
- outdated discussion - have the same feeling
- - too many times built border between west and east by discussing and mapping regions of central or eastern europe, too many discussions where the border lies, they didn't find anything just that those countries were together in socialistic block
- - today: whatever field in ce+e europe, defined culture-geographicaly, can be perfect topic for individual studies / subject in university curiccula, but not for our adventures minds
- - central europe (warschaw countries) and eastern europe in digital media have not so much in common, balkan far and closer at the same time to west then us
- - the terms central eastern europe i use also but just in academic talks and grant applications (academic doesn't need to be negative but just present in scholars', or education, scientific context...)
- --Marisa 08:19, 05 Aug 2004 (CEST)
- about borders and terms for regions etc, of course they tend to be a mix of geography, culture and econo-politics, that change - but do you really think people who are doing creative stuff nowadays are sticking to it, or let their attitude be depending on it? it is more of a thing I wonder about when I am here in the west (bordered by atlantic and north sea - so no escape that way) than east -- and see, I am using the terms as oppositions to indicate extremes, a 1-dimensional reductionism (left-right, east-west) but: you are there and me here and I look around and ... well what is the real difference? --XGZ 10:37, 5 Aug 2004 (CEST)
i set up a wiki page, here an idea, warschaw-4 plus balkan and baltic digital region, collaborative researchinprogress, i dont know a lot about subject. on one hand, separating postcomm europe is like talking about white and black people, on the other, 'local thinking' hype is still available, why not define the context by geo & ideo borders? -- c+e europe & digital media.
few days later Slavo, Gnd, Ana, Man, and Cuco were asked to participate.
what about the further development and propagation? discussion here.
EUROPA IS IN GEO-IDEO OUTDATED DISCUSSION WITH NO BORDERS ,LEADING NO WHERE, JUST AS THE REST OF THE ART WORLD TODAY...WHAT A COINCIDENCE!
THERE IS AN IDEOLOGICAL CONSPIRACY BETWEEN SOCIETY AND ART ,IT IS "THE CONSPIRACY OF ART"
"ANDY WARHOL WAS THE GREATEST SIMULATOR,BECAUSE IN SIMULATION THERE'S A CHALLANGE,A PROVOCATION. WARHOL'S GESTURE IS AN ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVENT. HE PUSHED AESTHETICS TO THE LIMIT AND TURNED IT INTO ITS OPPOSITE,TRANSFUSING THE IMAGE INTO REALITY,AN EVENT OF PLATITUDE. HE COMPLETED THE CYCLE IN A SINGLE STROKE. I HAVE DONE THE SAME:REACHING A ZERO-LEVEL THAT BRINGS OUT SINGULARITY AND STYLE." JEAN BAUDRILLARD
THE QUESTION IS: WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT IT?
EUROPA IS IN GEO-IDEO OUTDATED DISCUSSION WITH NO BORDERS ,LEADING NO WHERE, JUST AS MANY MAYOR ART INSTITUTIONS TODAY,THERE ISNT A CLEAR SCOPE...WHAT A COINCIDENCE!
THERE IS AN IDEOLOGICAL CONSPIRACY BETWEEN SOCIETY AND ART,(INCLUDING ART PROFFESSIONALS)
NOW ART ART HAS BECOME NULL AS MAYOR ART INSTITUTIONS ARE MORE CONCERNED IN RUNNING THEMSELVES
AS TURISTIC ATTRACTIONS TO REALLY BOTHER WITH ART OR WITH WHAT IT MEANS.ART HAS BECOME JUST ANOTHER FORM OF BUSINESS.
SOME BELIEVE ART IS NULL,AS THE CONSPIRACY OF ART STATES:
"ART HAS COMPLETED ITS CICLE,ITS SIMULATION AS ANDY WARHOL WAS THE GREATEST SIMULATOR,BECAUSE IN SIMULATION THERE'S A CHALLANGE,A PROVOCATION. WARHOL'S GESTURE IS AN ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVENT. HE PUSHED AESTHETICS TO THE LIMIT AND TURNED IT INTO ITS OPPOSITE,TRANSFUSING THE IMAGE INTO REALITY,AN EVENT OF PLATITUDE. HE COMPLETED THE CYCLE IN A SINGLE STROKE. I HAVE DONE THE SAME:REACHING A ZERO-LEVEL THAT BRINGS OUT SINGULARITY AND STYLE." JEAN BAUDRILLARD
ART HAS BECOME SOMETHING ELSE...ANDY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT, HE'S JUST A STEREOTYPE,AN ICON FAR BIGGER THAN REALITY.BUT THE POINT HAS BEEN MADE.ART HAS REACHED ITS POINT OF NO RETURN, IT HAS TO CHANGE,BUT TO DO IT IS NECESSARY TO LOOK AT SOCIETY ITSELF.UNFORTUNATELY , IT IS TOO BUSY SPECULATING ABOUT POLITICS AND BORDERS...
what happens today in the center or the art scene:
"here was one artist on the panel. She said. "let's talk about gender, let's talk about New York vs. Brooklyn, or about money and the commericial galleries." The curators ignored her. One man from the audience stood up and called them dictators. They laughed and ignored him. The last woman stood up and brought up the point that over half of the MFA's earned today are women, but less than 20% of the solo shows in Chelsea last year were women. They ignored her too"
AND IT ALSO HAPPENS IN EUROPE....
BUT THE QUESTION IS: WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT IT?