Born 1965. Writer, organizer, and theorist. Deals with the collision of new media technology, culture and society. Works with political/cultural center De Balie in Amsterdam and the Academy of Media Arts Cologne. He taught a course on "Culture and New Media" at the University of Amsterdam, media theory for the post-graduate education programs in art & design and new media at Media-GN at Academy Minerva in Groningen, and the Royal Academy of Visual Arts in The Hague. He has lectured and published extensively on culture, new media, and cultural politics throughout Europe.
Since 1988 he has been involved as an organiser in important media culture events such as the Second International Symposium on Electronic Art (SISEA) (Groningen, 1990), Interstanding I, II, & III (Tallinn, Estonia, 1995/96/97), The P2P - New Media Culture in Europe conference (Amsterdam/Rotterdam, 1997), Tulipomania DotCom - A Critique of the New Economy (Amsterdam/Frankfurt, 2000), net.congestion - International Festival of Streaming Media (Amsterdam, 2000), the third Next 5 Minutes conference on tactical media (Amsterdam/Rotterdam, 1999), Dutch / Russian project Debates & Credits - Media Art in the Public Domain (Moscow/Amsterdam/Ekaterinburg, 2002), the Amsterdam edition of World-Information.Org (2002), the fourth edition of the Next 5 Minutes tactical media festival (Amsterdam, 2003), and the mini-festival An Archaeology of Imaginary Media (Amsterdam, 2004).
- Eric Kluitenberg. Delusive Spaces. Essays on Culture, Media and Technology. NAi Publishers in association with the Institute of Network Cultures, October 2007. 250 pgs. ISBN 978-90-5662-617-4. http://www.naipublishers.nl/art/delusivespaces_e.html
- Eric Kluitenberg (ed). The Book of Imaginary Media: Excavating the Dream of the Ultimate Communication Medium. NAi Publishers in association with De Balie, Fall 2006. ISBN 90-5662-539-X. http://www.naipublishers.nl/art/imaginary_media_e.html
- Eric Kluitenberg, Jorinde Seijdel and Liesbeth Melis (eds.) Open: Hybrid Space: How Wireless Media Mobilize Public Space. No. 11 with CDROM. NAi Publishers in association with SKOR, November 2006. ISBN 90-5662-536-5. http://www.naipublishers.nl/art/open11_e.html
- Goryucheva, Tatiana & Eric Kluitenberg (ed.) Debates & Credits - Media / Art / Public Domain. Amsterdam: De Balie, 2003. ISBN 90-6617-298-3
- Articles (selection)
- Eric Kluitenberg. Constructing the Digital Commons: A venture into hybridisation. 2003. http://www.mediaartnet.org/source-text/163/
- Eric Kluitenberg. Transfiguration of the Avant-Garde. The Negative Dialectics of the Net. December 2001. http://www.i-space.org/map/texts/eric-kluitenberg.html
- Eric Kluitenberg. Connection Machines. 2005. http://mediageographies.blogspot.com/2005/06/eric-kluitenberg-connection-machines.html