- Contra'66 magazine, ed. J. Swaminathan, 4 issues, New Delhi, 1966-1967. (English)
- Vrishchik magazine, eds. Ghulam Mohammed Sheikh and Bhupen Khakhar, 26 issues, Baroda, 1969-1973. (English)
- Geeta Kapur, Contemporary Indian Artists, Vikas: New Delhi, 1979.
- Atreyee Gupta, The Promise of the Modern: State, Culture, and Avant-gardism in India (ca. 1930-1960), University of Minnesota, 2011, 320 pp. Ph.D. dissertation.
- Regina Bittner, Kathrin Rhomberg (eds.), The Bauhaus in Calcutta: An Encounter of the Cosmopolitan Avant-Garde, intro. Philipp Oswalt, Hatje Cantz, 2013, 212 pp.  , , 
- Sonal Khullar, Worldly Affiliations: Artistic Practice, National Identity, and Modernism in India, 1930–1990, University of California Press, 2015.
- Abby Grey and Indian Modernism: Selections from the NYU Art Collection, New York: Grey Art Gallery/New York University, 2015. (English)
- Emilia Terracciano, Art and Emergency: Modernism in Twentieth-Century India, I.B. Tauris, 2017. (English)
- Select bibliography at Asia Art Archive.
avant-garde, modernism, experimental art, media culture, social practice
Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Central and Eastern Europe, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosova, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States