- Estridentismo (Stridentism, 1921-27)
- Photography: Kati Horna, Tina Modotti (Italian-born actress and photographer)
- Treintatreintista: Grupo de Pintores ¡30-30! (1928).
- Surrealism: Leonora Carrington (British painter), Remedios Varo (Spanish painter), Kati Horna (Hungarian photographer).
- Fernando N. Winfield, "The Avant-Garde in the Architecture and Visual Arts of Post-Revolutionary Mexico", Architecture_Media_Politics_Society 1:3 (Nov 2012).
- Vicky Unruh, Latin American Vanguards: The Art of Contentious Encounters, University of California Press, 1994. (English)
- Mauricio Tenorio-Trillo, Mexico at the World's Fairs: Crafting a Modern Nation, University of California Press, 1996. (English)
- Eric Zolov, Refried Elvis: The Rise of the Mexican Counterculture, University of California Press, 1999. (English)
- La era de la discrepancia: arte y cultura visual en Mexico / The Age of Discrepancies: Art and Visual Culture in Mexico, 1968-1997, ed. Olivier Debroise, Mexico, D.F.: Universidad Nacional Autonomia de Mexico & Turner, 2006, 469 pp; 2nd ed., eds. Cuauthémoc Medina and Olivier Debroise, Mexico, D.F.: Turner, 2014, 500 pp. Catalogue. (Spanish)/(English)
- Edward J. McCaughan, Art and Social Movements: Cultural Politics in Mexico and Aztlán, Duke University Press, 2012.  (English)
- Strange Currencies: Art & Action in Mexico City, 1990-2000, ed. Kaytie Johnson, Philadelphia: Galleries at Moore College of Art & Design, 2015, 128 pp. Catalogue.    (English)
avant-garde, modernism and after
Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Central and Eastern Europe, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosova, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States