- Liang Luo, The Avant-Garde and the Popular in Modern China: Tian Han and the Intersection of Performance and Politics, University of Michigan Press, 2014, 386 pp. Introduction.
Visual art, Contemporary art
- Kinetic art: Wen-Ying Tsai
- Stars group: Ai Weiwei, Wang Keping, Li Shuang, Huang Rui, Ma Desheng.
- Xiamen Dada: Huang Yong Ping, Lin Jiahua, Jia Yaoming, Yu Xiaogang, Xu Chengdou.
- Rational painting: Wang Guangyi, Shu Qun, Ren Jian, Liu Yan, Zhang Peili, Geng Jianyi, Wang Qiang.
- Cynical realism: Yue Minjun, Fang Lijun, Yu Xiaogang, Yang Shaobin, Wang Jinsong, Song Yonghong.
- Political pop: Wang Guangyi, Yu Youhan, Wang Ziwei, Feng Mengbo, Zhang Peili, Wei Guangqing, Qiu Zhijie.
- Exhibitions (with dedicated websites)
- Inside Out: New Chinese Art, Asia Society and P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, Sep 1998-Jan 1999. Curated by Gao Minglu.
- Copyleft: Appropriation Art in China, Power Station of Art, Shanghai, Aug-Nov 2015.
- Materials of the Future: Documenting Contemporary Chinese Art From 1980-1990
- Chronology of Chinese Contemporary Art, 1974-2012
- China’s New Art, Post-1989, with a Retrospective from 1979-1989, Hong Kong: Hanart T Z Gallery, 1993, cvii+232 pp. (English)
- Fragmented Memory: The Chinese Avant-Garde in Exile, eds. Minglu Gao and Julie Andrews, Columbus, OH: Wexner Center for the Arts, 1993, 37 pp.  (English)
- Inside Out: New Chinese Art, ed. Minglu Gao, University of California Press, 1998. Gao's essay.   (English)
- A Century in Crisis: Modernity and Tradition in the Art of Twentieth-Century China, eds. Julia F. Andrews and Kuiyi Shen, New York: Guggenheim Museum, 1998, 17+329 pp.  
- China: 5,000 Years, Innovation and Transformation in the Arts, ed. Sherman Lee, New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1998, 504 pp.  
- Wu Hung, Transience: Chinese Experimental Art at the End of the Twentieth Century, Chicago: David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art, 1999, 214 pp. (English)
- Chinese Maximalism / Zhongguo ji duo zhu yi, ed. Minglu Gao, Chongqing Publishing House, with University at Buffalo Galleries and China Millennium Monument Museum, 2003, 123 pp.  (English)/(Chinese)
- Wu Hung (ed.), Contemporary Chinese Art: Primary Documents, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2010, 464 pp. Additional articles. . Reviews: Bloomer (China J 2011), Winterton (Taipei Times 2011), Pearlman (Leonardo 2011), Dal Lago (ARTmargins 2014). (English)
- Arnold Chang, Painting in the People's Republic of China: The Politics of Style, Boulder: Westview Press, 1980. (English)
- Hua Junwu (ed.), Contemporary Chinese Painting, Beijing: New York Press, 1984.
- Joan Lebold Cohen, The New Chinese Painting, 1949-1986, New York: Abrams, 1987. (English)
- Mayching Kao, Twentieth-Century Chinese Painting, New York: Oxford University Press, 1988. (English)
- Ellen Johnston Laing, The Winking Owl: Art in the People's Republic of China, University of California Press, 1988. (English)
- Ralph Croizier, Art and Revolution in Modern China: The Lingnan (Cantonese) School of Painting, 1906-1951, University of California Press, 1988. (English)
- Minglu Gao (ed.), Zhongguo dangdai meishushi 1985–1986 [History of Contemporary Art 1985–1986], Shanghai: Shanghai renmin chubanshe, 1991. (Chinese)
- Peng Lü, Dan Yi, Zhongguo xiandai yishushi [A History of Modern Art in China], Changsha: Hunan meishu chubanshe, 1992. (Chinese)
- Zha Jianying, China Pop, New York: New Press, 1995. (English)
- Michael Sullivan, Art and Artists of Twentieth-Century China, University of California Press, 1996. (English)
- Craig Clunas, Art in China, New York: Oxford University Press, 1997. (English)
- Wu Hung, Rong Rong's East Village, 1993-1998, New York, 2004, 230 pp. (English)
- Thomas J. Berghuis, Performance Art in China, Hong Kong: Timezone 8 Limited, 2006.  (English)
- Xiaobing Tang, Origins of the Chinese Avant-Garde: The Modern Woodcut Movement, University of California Press, 2007, 318 pp.  (English)
- Karen Smithm, Nine Lives: The Birth of Avant-garde Art in New China. Updated Edition, Timezone8, 2008.  (English)
- Xiaoping Lin, Children of Marx and Coca-Cola: Chinese Avant-Garde Art and Independent Cinema, University of Hawaii Press, 2009. (English)
- Minglu Gao, Total Modernity and the Avant-Garde in Twentieth-Century Chinese Art, MIT Press, 2011. (English)
- Hsingyuan Tsao, Roger T. Ames (eds.), Xu Bing and Contemporary Chinese Art: Cultural and Philosophical Reflections, SUNY Press, 2011, 261 pp. Introduction. (English)
- Paul Gladston, "Avant-garde" Art Groups in China, 1979–1989: The Stars, The Northern Art Group, The Pond Association, Xiamen Dada: A Critical Polylogue, Intellect, 2013, 194 pp.  (English)
- Paul Gladston, Contemporary Chinese Art: A Critical History, London: Reaktion Books, 2014, 318 pp. (English)
- Paul Gladston, Deconstructing Contemporary Chinese Art: Selected Critical Writings and Conversations, 2007-2014, Springer, 2016. (English)
- Chang Tan, Playing Cards with Cézanne. How the Contemporary Artists of China Copy and Recreate, Austin: University of Texas, 2008, 213 pp. PhD dissertation. (English)
- Karin Grace Oen, Admonition and the Academy: Installation, Video, and Performance Art in Reform Era China, MIT, 2012. PhD dissertation. (English)
- Documentary film
- From Jean Paul Sartre to Teresa Teng: Cantonese Contemporary Art in the 1980s, dir. Jane DeBevoise, Claire Hsu, Phoebe Wong, and Anthony Yung, 2010, 50 min. 
Underground and experimental poetry
- Maghiel van Crevel, Language Shattered: Contemporary Chinese Poetry and Duoduo, Leiden: Research School CNWS, 1996, 355 pp.
- Christopher Lupke (ed.), New Perspectives on Contemporary Chinese Poetry, Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- Timeline, 1993-2013.
- eArts Festival, Shanghai, 2006-2010.
- Synthetic Times, Beijing, 2008.
- Invisible City Transmediale, Beijing, 2010.
- Creators Project, UCCA 798, annually from 2010 to 2013.
- Encode and Decode, Beijing, 2011.
- Translife New Media Art Triennial, Beijing, 2011.
- Motion is action, Beijing, 2013.
- "ThingWorld", New Media Art Triennial, Beijing, 2014
- Chronus Art Center, Shanghai
- Transmedia Department, China Academy of Arts
- School of creative media, City University Hongkong
- School of Design, Tsinghua University
- Digital Art department, Central Academy of Media Arts
- New Media Art department, Renmin University
- International Network for a Critical Philosophy of Media and Technics in China, initiated by Yuk Hui in 2014. Also runs 'Media Philosophy' series supported by the Shanghai Academy of Social Science Press.
avant-garde, modernism and after
Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Central and Eastern Europe, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosova, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States