Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Audio Arts, 100+ editions, ed. Bill Furlong, London, 1973-2006. Audio cassette magazine.
- Tellus, 27 editions, eds. Joseph Nechvatal, Claudia Gould, and Carol Parkinson, New York, 1983-1993. Audio cassette magazine; published bimonthly.
Community and Resources
- Xerox music: UK DIY and cassette culture, 1977-84, a discussion group, facilitated by Andy Broome and Dan Palmer.
- CassetteCulture.net, started by Kevin Thorne and Mike Honeycutt in 2005.
- The Living Archive of Underground Music, by Don Campau.
- Scans of various zines and catalogues by Hal McGee, hosted on Internet Archive.
- Cassette Culture, WORM, Rotterdam, 25 Apr 2014. 
- WORM Pirate Bay’s Cassette Store Day, WORM, Rotterdam, 14 Oct 2017.
- Robin James, Cassette Mythos, Autonomedia, 1990, 206 pp. With a CD.   
- Peter Manuel, Cassette Culture: Popular Music and Technology in North India, University of Chicago Press, 1993, 322 pp. . Review: Higgins (20th C Music).
- Thurston Moore (ed.), Mix Tape: The Art of Cassette Culture, Universe, 2005, 96 pp. WP. 
- Charles Hirschkind, The Ethical Soundscape: Cassette Sermons and Islamic Counterpublics, Columbia University Press, 2006, 288 pp. 
- Thomas Bey William Bailey, Unofficial Release: Self-Released And Handmade Audio In Post-Industrial Society, Belsona Books Ltd., 2012.
- John Z. Komurki, Cassette Cultures: The Past and Present of a Musical Icon, Berlin: Vetro, 2019, 176 pp. Publisher.
- Jerry Kranitz, Cassette Culture: Homemade Music and the Creative Spirit in the Pre-internet Age, Friedrichshafen: Vinyl on Demand, 2020, 320 pp. With audio 2-CD (46 tracks, 160 min). Interview. Publisher.  
- Articles, theses, papers
- Rasmus Fleischer, "Kassettband och kassettersättning", 2005. (Swedish)
- Don Campau, "A brief history of cassette culture", The Living Archive of Underground Music, 2009.
- Ian Matthew Staub, Redubbing the Underground: Cassette Culture in Transition, Wesleyan University, 2010.
- Jude Rogers, "Total rewind: 10 key moments in the life of the cassette", The Observer, 30 August 2013.
- Christian Ulrik Andersen, Søren Bro Pold, "Ten Theses on Cassette Tapes, History, and Interface Criticism", post-digital-research blog, 30 September 2013.
- Cassette culture at Wikipedia
- Documentary films
- Grindstone Redux, dir. Andrew Szava-Kovats, 2009, 60 min. On the underground music scene of the 1980s. IMDB.
- Cassette: A Documentary Mixtape, dir. Zack Taylor, Georg Petzold, and Seth Smoot, 2016, 92 min. Trailer. . IMDB.
|Sound and Music
communities of practice
Radio art, Pirate radio, Electroacoustic music, Computer music, Field recording, Noise, Cassette culture, Zine culture, Max/MSP, Pure Data, SuperCollider, Net radio, Live coding.