- Estridentismo (Stridentism, 1921-27)
- Photography: Kati Horna, Tina Modotti (Italian-born actress and photographer)
- Treintatreintista: Grupo de Pintores ¡30-30! (1928).
- Surrealism: Leonora Carrington (British painter), Remedios Varo (Spanish painter), Kati Horna (Hungarian photographer).
- Fernando N. Winfield, "The Avant-Garde in the Architecture and Visual Arts of Post-Revolutionary Mexico", Architecture_Media_Politics_Society 1:3 (Nov 2012).
- Vicky Unruh, Latin American Vanguards: The Art of Contentious Encounters, University of California Press, 1994. (English)
- Mauricio Tenorio-Trillo, Mexico at the World's Fairs: Crafting a Modern Nation, University of California Press, 1996. (English)
- Eric Zolov, Refried Elvis: The Rise of the Mexican Counterculture, University of California Press, 1999. (English)
- Jacqueline Barnitz, Twentieth-Century Art of Latin America, 2001, xxii+400 pp; 2nd ed., rev. & exp., with Patrick Frank, Austin: University of Texas Press, 2015, xviii+415 pp.
- Patrick Frank (ed.), Readings in Latin American Modern Art, Yale University Press, 2004, 288 pp.  (English)
- La era de la discrepancia: arte y cultura visual en Mexico / The Age of Discrepancies: Art and Visual Culture in Mexico, 1968-1997, ed. Olivier Debroise, Mexico, D.F.: Universidad Nacional Autonomia de Mexico & Turner, 2006, 469 pp; 2nd ed., eds. Cuauthémoc Medina and Olivier Debroise, Mexico, D.F.: Turner, 2014, 500 pp. Catalogue. (Spanish)/(English)
- Edward J. McCaughan, Art and Social Movements: Cultural Politics in Mexico and Aztlán, Duke University Press, 2012.  (English)
- Tatiana E. Flores, Mexico's Revolutionary Avant-Gardes: From Estridentismo to ¡30–30!, Yale University Press, 2013. 376 pp. Introduction. Review: Oles (CAA). (English)
- Strange Currencies: Art & Action in Mexico City, 1990-2000, ed. Kaytie Johnson, Philadelphia: Galleries at Moore College of Art & Design, 2015, 128 pp. Catalogue.    (English)
- Sophie Halart, Mara Polgovsky Ezcurra (eds.), Sabotage Art: Politics and Iconoclasm in Contemporary Latin America, London: I.B. Tauris, 2016, xvii+238 pp. (English)
- Patrick Frank (ed.), Manifestos and Polemics in Latin American Modern Art, trans. Patrick Frank, University of New Mexico Press, 2017, 320 pp. Review: Boone (CJLACS). (English)
- The Avant-garde Networks of Amauta: Argentina, Mexico, and Peru in the 1920s, eds. Beverly Adams and Natalia Majluf, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Austin: Blanton Museum of Art, and Lima: MALI, 2019, 352 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- Redes de vanguardia: Amauta y América Latina, 1926-1930, Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Austin: Blanton Museum of Art, and Lima: MALI, 2019, 352 pp.  (Spanish)
avant-garde, modernism and after
Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Central and Eastern Europe, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosova, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States