free speech, net neutrality, anonymity, internet censorship, liberation technologies, cryptography, crypto-anarchism, secure communication, deep-packet inspection, decentralization.
Activists, initiatives, theorists
- Jacob Appelbaum
- Digitale Gesellschaft
- Roger Dingledine
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Geeks Without Bonds
- Internet and Democratic Change
- Internet Ungovernance Forum
- The Julia Group
- Mathias Klang
- Christopher Kullenberg
- Andrew Lewis
- Andrew Lewman
- Carlo v. Loesch
- Rebecca MacKinnon
- Smári McCarthy
- Patrick Meier
- Reporters Without Borders
- Eleanor Saitta
- Aaron Swartz
- Stephan Urbach
- Fidele Vlavo
- Hellekin O. Wolf
- Jillian C. York
- Ethan Zuckerman
- The Alternative Internet(s) – State of the Art and the Possible Future, workshop, London, 15-16 Sep 2014.
- Redecentralize Conference - Taking Back the Net, London, 17-18 Oct 2015.
- Radical Networks conference, Brooklyn, NY, 24-25 Oct 2015; 4-6 Nov 2016. Exhibition 2016.
- Whistleblowers and Vigilantes. Figures of Digital Resistance, exhibition, HMKV, Dortmund, 9 Apr-14 Aug 2016. Curated by Inke Arns and Jens Kabisch.
- Decentralized Web Summit, Internet Archive, San Francisco, 8-9 Jun 2016.
- Truth-Tellers: The Impact of Speaking Out, Kunstquartier Bethanien, Berlin, 25-26 Nov 2016. Part of Art & Evidence conference series by Disruption Network Lab.
- The Glass Room, New York, 29 Nov - 14 Dec 2016. Exhibition organised by Mozilla and Tactical Technology Collective.
- Peer-to-Peer Web Berlin, Trust, Berlin, 10 Feb 2018; 5 May 2018.  
- Peer-to-Peer Web NYC, School for Poetic Computation, New York, 26 May 2018. Presented by New Computer Working Group.  
- Distributed Systems exhibition, part of Gray Area Festival, Grand Theater, San Francisco, 26 Jul-3 Aug 2018.
- Evgeny Morozov, The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of Internet Freedom, Public Affairs, 2010.
- Mary Joyce (ed.), Digital Activism Decoded: The New Mechanics of Change, 2010.
- Reporters Without Borders, Internet Enemies, 2011.
- Index on Censorship: "The Net Effect" issue, 2011.
- Patrick Meier, "Do 'Liberation Technologies' Change the Balance of Power Between Repressive States and Civil Society?", dissertation, October 2011.
- Milton Mueller, "Technology as symbol: Is resistance to surveillance technology being misdirected?", 20 December 2011. 
- E. Gabriella Coleman, Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking, Princeton University Press, 2012.
- Julian Assange, et al., Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet, OR Books, New York/London, 2012.
- Larry Diamond, Marc F. Plattner (eds.), Liberation Technology: Social Media and the Struggle for Democracy, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
- Rebecca MacKinnon, Consent of the Networked: The Worldwide Struggle for Internet Freedom, Basic Books, January 2012.
- Gabriella Coleman, "Our weirdness is free", 13 January 2012.
- "The Guardian's Open 20: fighters for internet freedom", The Guardian, 20 April 2012.
- Finn Brunton, Helen Nissenbaum, Obfuscation: A User’s Guide for Privacy and Protest, MIT Press, 2015.
- Journal of Peer Production 9: "Alternative Internets", eds. Félix Tréguer, Panayotis Antoniadis and Johan Söderberg, Sep 2016.
- Publications on internet activism at Monoskop Log
- NED: Digital Activism
- Alternative Internet, a collection of networks, tools and devices aiming at decentralisation.
movements and cultures
Internet of things,