- New Cinema Festival I [aka "Expanded Cinema Survey", "Expanded Cinema Festival"], Film-Makers' Cinematheque, New York, 1-30 Nov 1965.   
- 9 Evenings: Theatre and Engineering, 69th Regiment Armory, New York, 13-23 Oct 1966. Conjured up by Robert Rauschenberg and Billy Klüver.
- XSCREEN Festival, Cologne, 1968. Organised by W+B Hein.  
- Filmaktion events, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, 22-27 Jun 1973.  
- Projected Images exhibition, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 21 Sep-3 Nov 1974. Works by Peter Campus, Rockne Krebs, Paul Sharits, Michael Snow, Ted Victoria, Robert Whitman. 46pp catalogue published.
- Festival of Expanded Cinema, Institute of Contemporary Art, London, 4-11 Jan 1976. Curated by Deke Dusinberre. 64 pp catalogue published.
- Expanded Cinema season at Arnolfini gallery, Bristol, 1-10 Apr 1976. Works by Marilyn Halford, Ron Hazelden, Jeff Keen, William Raban, Tony Sinden.
- Video Art: Expanded Forms, Whitney Museum of American Art at Equitable Center, 1988. Curated by John G. Hanhardt. Catalogue. Curator's essay in Leonardo (1990).
- Into the Light: The Projected Image in American Art 1964-77, Whitney Museum, New York, 18 Oct 2001-6 Jan 2002. Curated by Chrissie Iles. 183pp catalogue published. Curator's essay. Reviews: Kimmelman (NYT), Wilson (Frieze).
- Future Cinema: The Cinematic Imaginary after Film exhibition, ZKM, Karlsruhe, 16 Nov 2002-30 Mar 2003. Curated by Jeffrey Shaw and Peter Weibel. 635pp catalogue published.
- X-Screen exhibition, Mumok, Vienna, 13 Dec 2003-7 Mar 2004. Curated by Matthias Michalka. Review: Webber (Frieze). 216pp book published.
- Expanded Cinema: Film as Spectacle, Event and Performance exhibition, HMKV, Dortmund, 10-26 Sep 2004. Curated by Mark Webber. Featured 32 artists.
- Expanded Cinema: Space / Time / Structure symposium, WKV, Stuttgart, 7-10 Dec 2006. Curated by Mark Webber. Featured 30 works by 20 artists. 
- The Live Record conference, BFI Southbank, London, 6 Dec 2008. Brochure.
- Expanded Cinema: Activating the Space of Reception conference, Tate Modern, London, 17-19 Apr 2009. Video recordings. Audio recordings.
- Never Twice: Live Expanded Cinema Performance exhibition, Microscope Gallery, New York, 2015. Video discussion
For catalogues see events above.
- Gene Youngblood, Expanded Cinema, intro. R. Buckminster Fuller, New York: Dutton, 1970, 432 pp.
- Cine expandido, Buenos Aires: Eduntref, 2012, 456 pp.  (Spanish)
- Expanded cinema, trans. Pier Luigi Capucci and Simonetta Fadda, Bologna: CLUEB, 2013, xvi+388 pp. (Italian)
- Hans Scheugl, Erweitertes Kino. Die Wiener Filme der 60er Jahre, Vienna: Triton, 2002. (German)
- X-Screen: Film Installations and Actions in the 1960s and 1970s, ed. Matthias Michalka, Cologne: Walther König, 2004. Kotz's essay.
- Fluid Screens, Expanded Cinema, eds. Janine Marchessault and Susan Lord, University of Toronto Press, 2008, 368 pp.
- Expanded Cinema: Art, Performance and Film, eds. A.L. Rees, David Curtis, Duncan White, and Stephen Ball, London: Tate Publishing, 2011, 312 pp. TOC. Reviews: Utterson (Screen), MacDonald (MIRAJ).
- Journal issues
- Tulane Drama Review 11(1): "Film & Theatre", Aug 1966. 
- Art in-sight 14 (Filmwaves 27:1): "On Expanded Cinema", ed. Jackie Hatfield, 2005. Texts by Jackie Hatfield, Grahame Weinbren, Chris Hales. 
- Essays, book chapters
- Stan VanDerBeek, "“Culture: Intercom” and Expanded Cinema: A Proposal and Manifesto", Film Culture 40 (Spring 1966), pp 15-18; repr. in Motive, Nov 1966, pp 13-23; repr. in The Tulane Drama Review 11:1 (Autumn 1966), pp 38-48.
- Sheldon Renan, "Expanded Cinema", ch 6 in Renan, An Introduction to the American Underground Film, New York: Dutton, 1967, pp 227-257.
- John G. Hanhardt, "The Passion for Perceiving: Expanded Forms of Film and Video Art", Art Journal 45(3): "Video: The Reflexive Medium", Autumn 1985, pp 213-216.
- Felicity Sparrow, "Light Illusions Artists and Cinema; Filmmakers and Galleries", Vertigo 2:1 (Spring 2001).
- Peter Weibel, "Expanded Cinema, Video and Virtual Environments", in Future Cinema: The Cinematic Imaginary after Film, eds. Jeffrey Shaw and Peter Weibel, MIT Press, 2003, pp 110-124.
- Valie Export, "Expanded Cinema as Expanded Reality", Senses of Cinema 28 (Oct 2003).
- Jackie Hatfield, "Expanded Cinema and Narrative: Some Reasons for a Review of the Avant-Garde Debates Around Narrativity", Millennium Film Journal 39-40: "Hidden Currents", New York, Winter 2003.
- Jackie Hatfield, "The Subject in Expanded Cinema", Art in-sight 11 (Filmwaves 24:2), 2004, pp 14-18.
- Peter Weibel, "Expanded Cinema: Material Films, Film Actions (without Film), Project and Concept Films", in Beyond Art: A Third Culture. A Comparative Study in Cultures, Art and Science in 20th Century Austria and Hungary, ed. Weibel, 2005.
- Nicole Brenez, "Improvised Notes on French Expanded Cinema", trans. Franck Le Gac, Millenium Film Journal 43/44 (Summer/Fall 2005).
- Bruno Lessard, "Missed Encounters: Film Theory and Expanded Cinema", Refractory blog, 26 Dec 2008.
- Duncan White, "Mapping Expanded Cinema", Vertigo 4:2 (Winter-Spring 2009).
- Marc Glöde, "Expanded Cinema", in See This Sound Compendium, c2009.
- Lucy Reynolds, "Magic Tricks? Shadow Play in British Expanded Cinema", Afterall 23, Spring 2010. 
- Hans Scheugl, "Expanded Cinemas Exploding", 2012. (German)
- "Expanded Cinemas Exploding", in Film Unframed: A History of Austrian Avant-Garde Cinema, ed. Peter Tscherkassky, Vienna, 2012.
- Chris Meigh-Andrews, "Expanded Cinema", ch 4 in Meigh-Andrews, A History of Video Art, Bloomsbury, 2013. 
- gary comenas, "Jonas Mekas and the Film-Makers' Cinematheque", WarholStars.org, 2014.
| Artists' cultures
or, sets of techniques and practices bringing together communities of artists, makers and writers
Avant-garde and modernist magazines, Artists' publishing, Graphic design, Photography, Typewriter art, Multimedia environments, Design research, Video activism, Urban practices, Zine culture, Demoscene, VJing, Live cinema, Media labs, Cyberfeminism, Community television, Hacktivism, Art servers, Hackerspaces, CD-ROM art, Circuit bending, Pure Data, Media archives, VVVV, Maker culture, Glitch art, Live coding, Locative media, Libre graphics, Electromagnetism, Surf clubs, DIY biology, Post-digital, Neural aesthetics.