Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pre-1945 avant-garde
- 0-9, 6 numbers, eds. Bernadette Meyer and Vito Acconci, New York, 1967-1969. Reprint. , . FSL. , , ccindex.
- Art-Language, 19 numbers, eds. Terry Atkinson, David Bainbridge, Michael Baldwin, Harold Hurrell, et al., Coventry, UK: Art & Language Press, 1969-1978. First issue carried the subtitle The Journal of Conceptual Art. Covers, , .
- Új Symposion, 77+ numbers, eds. Bálint Szombathy (1971-72, 1986-89), László Kerekes (1984-85), et al., Novi Sad: Tribina mladih, -. , , , , . (Hungarian)
- Index, eds. Slobodan Tišma, Janez Kocijanić, and Mirko Radojičić, Novi Sad, -. Student magazine. . (Serbo-Croatian)
- Data, 32 numbers, eds. Tommaso Trini (Castelli) and Ciacia Nicastro, Milan: Prearo, 1971-1978. .  (Italian),(English)
- Polja 156: "Konceptualna umetnost", ed. Mirko Radojičić, Novi Sad, Feb 1972. (Serbo-Croatian)
- The Fox, 3 numbers, eds. Sarah Charlesworth, Michael Corns, Preston Heller, Joseph Kosuth, Andrew Menard, Mel Ramsden, and Ian Burn, New York, 1975-1976. ccindex, .
- Vision, 5 numbers, ed. Tom Marioni, Oakland, CA: Crown Point Press, 1975-1981. Issue 1. , , .
- Red-herring, 2 numbers, eds. Karl Beveridge, Jill Breakstone, Ian Burn, Carole Conde, Michael Corns, Preston Heller, and Andrew Menard, New York: C.I.F., 1977-1978. ccindex, Allen.
- Mail art
- File, ed. General Idea (AA Bronson, Felix Partz & Jorge Zontal), Toronto, 1972-89.
- Vile, eds. Anna Banana and Bill Gaglione, San Francisco, 1974-83. 
- Ephemera: a monthly journal of mail and ephemeral works, 12 issues, eds. Ulises Carrión, Aart van Barneveld and Salvador Flores, Amsterdam: Other Books and So, 1977-78.
- Commonpress, c48 numbers, eds. Pawel Petasz et al., 1977-90. Issues: #1, #3 #5, #6, #8, and many others available via Lomholt Mail Art Archive.
- Umbrella, ed. Judith Hoffberg, 1978-2008. The journal covered news and reviews of artists' books, mail art and contemporary art and photography tradebooks.
- Umbrella: The Anthology, 1978-1998, ed. Judith A. Hoffberg, Santa Monica, CA: Umbrella Editions, 1999, 164 pp.
- PhotoStatic; Retrofuturism; Psrf magazines, 1983-1998.
- Yawn: Art Strike 1990-1993, 45 numbers, 1989-1992.
- The Neo, 10+2 numbers, ed. Monty Cantsin, Montreal, 1979-81. Last two numbers published with the title Organ.
- PhotoStatic, 41 numbers, ed. Lloyd Dunn, Aug 1983-Jan 1993.
- SMILE, ed. Monty Cantsin, Feb 1984-95.   
- Retrofuturism, 11+6 numbers, ed. Tape-beatles, Jan 1988-Apr 1993.
- Yawn, 45 numbers, Sep 1989-Mar 1993.
- Re:Action newsletter, 10 numbers, ed. Stewart Home, Winter 1994-Spring 1999.
- Psrf, 2 numbers, ed. Lloyd Dunn, Oct 1997-Oct 1998.
- Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Joan Lyons, Utah: Gibbs Smith Publishers, 1985.
Artists, scholars, initiatives
- Beau Geste Press
- Delphine Bedel
- Sarah Bodman
- Boekie Woekie
- Franziska Brandt
- Ulises Carrión
- Karen Di Franco
- Display Distribute
- Johanna Drucker
- Franklin Furnace
- Michael Gibbs
- Annette Gilbert
- Gloria Glitzer
- Moritz Grünke
- Mikhail Karasik
- Leandro Katz
- J.H. Kocman
- Antoine Lefebvre
- Lucy R. Lippard
- Kristen Mueller
- Clive Phillpot
- Printed Matter
- Ed Ruscha
- Guy Schraenen
- David Senior
- Archive Artist Publications, by Hubert Kretschmer, Munich.
- Research Centre for Artists' Publications, Weserburg, Bremen
- Artists' books on Monoskop Log
- Artists' Books Online, an online repository of facsimiles, metadata, and criticism. Director: Johanna Drucker, project manager: Eric Rettberg.
- Post-Digital Publishing Archive, Projects and Artworks at the Intersection of Publishing and Digital Technology. Maintained by Silvio Lorusso.
- What will be the canon for the artist’s book in the 21st Century?, a research project by the University of the West of England, 2008-10.
- La Bibliothèque Fantastique, an artist’s books virtual publisher. Ed. Antoine Lefebvre.
- Kunstenaarsboeken (artists' books) uit Nederland en België deel 1: de jaren '70 en '80, blog. (Dutch)
- The Expansion of the Artist Book, 1960-1980, Archivo Lafuente. (English)/(Spanish)
- Transforming Artist Books, research project, Tate, 2012.
- What Is an Artist Book?, curated by Giorgio Maffei, Palacete del Embarcadero, Santander, Aug 2014-Jan 2015.
- Livro de Artista, blog about the collection at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- Collecting Books: A conceptual snapshot of the arts in book form. Austrian art books and artists’ books selected by Bernhard Cella.
- Booktrek. A collection of essays written by Clive Phillpot.
- Artzines.net, blog on artists’ publications.
- MoMA Library, New York. 
- Franklin Furnace Artists' Books Collection, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY.
- Smithsonian Libraries, Washington, DC.
- Research Centre for Artists' Publications, Weserburg, Bremen
- John M. Flaxman Library: Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection, at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC)
- Thomas J. Watson Library, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Tate Library and Archive, London
- Stéphane Mallarmé, "The Book, Spiritual Instrument" [c1898], trans. Michael Gibbs, New Wilderness Letter 11, Dec 1982, pp 1-5. (English)
- El Lissitzky, "Unser Buch", in Gutenberg Jahrbuch 1927, ed. Alois Ruppel, Mainz: Gutenberg-Gesellschaft, 1926-27. (German)
- Ulises Carrión, "El arte nuevo de hacer libros", Plural (literary supplement in newspaper Excélsior) 4:41, México, Feb 1975, pp 33-38. Written in Amsterdam in May 1974.  (Spanish)
- "The New Art of Making Books", Kontexts 6-7, Maastricht, 1975; repr. in Contents, Warsaw: Remont Gallery, 1976; repr. in Art Contemporary 3:1, San Francisco, 1977; repr. in Carrión, Second Thoughts, Amsterdam: VOID, 1980; repr. in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985; repr. in Ulises Carrion: We have won! Haven’t we?, ed. Guy Schraenen, Amsterdam: Fodor Museum, 1992. (English)
- more translations
- Lucy R. Lippard, "The Artist's Book Goes Public", Art in America, Jan-Feb 1977; repr. in Lippard, Get the Message? A Decade of Art for Social Change, E.P. Dutton, 1984, pp 48-52; repr. in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 45-48. (English)
- Llibres d'artista / Artists' Books, ed. Tous i Giner Rafael, trans. Glòria Picazo, Barcelona: Metroǹom, 1981. (Catalan)/(English)
- Art Documentation 1(6): "An ABC of Artists’ Books Collections", ed. Clive Phillpot, ARLIS/NA, Dec 1982, 13 pp. Special section of the journal. (English)
- Richard Kostelanetz, "Book Art", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 27-30, HTML. (English)
- Lucy R. Lippard, "Conspicuous Consumption: New Artists' Books", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 49-59. (English)
- Shelley Rice, "Words and Images: Artists' Books as Visual Literature", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 59-85. (English)
- Barbara Moore, Jon Hendricks, "The Page as Alternative Space: 1950 to 1969", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 87-95. (English)
- Clive Phillpot, "Some Contemporary Artists and Their Books", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 97-132. (English)
- Robert C. Morgan, "Systemic Books by Artists", in Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Lyons, 1985, pp 207-222. (English)
- Livres d'artistes, ed. Anne Moeglin-Delcroix, Paris: Centre Pompidou & Herscher, 1985. Catalogue. Exh. held Jun-Oct 1985. (French)
- Audrey Isselbacher, Iliazd and the Illustrated Book, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1987, 85 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- Visible Language 25(2-3): "The Artist’s Book: The Text and Its Rivals", ed. Renée Riese Hubert, Apr 1991. (English)
- Ralph Jentsch, The Artist and the Book in Twentieth-Century Italy, Turin: Umberto Allemandi, and New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1992, 341 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- Riva Castleman, A Century of Artists Books, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1994, 263 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- The Journal of Artists' Books, ed. Brad Freeman, since 1994.  (English)
- The Journal of Artists' Books 12: "Experimental Narrative and Artists' Books", ed. Johanna Drucker, Fall 1999, JPGs. Exhibition catalogue.
- The Journal of Artists' Books 15: "Book Unbound", ed. Cathy Byrd, Spring 2001, JPGs. Exhibition catalogue.
- Johanna Drucker, The Century of Artists’ Books, New York: Granary Books, 1995; 2nd ed., 2004, 377 pp. ch 1, ch 1.  (English)
- Stephen Bury, Artists’ Books: the Book as a Work of Art, 1963-1995, Aldershot: Scolar Press, 1995. (English)
- Charles Alexander (ed.), Talking the Boundless Book: Art, Language, & the Book Arts, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, 1995, 144 pp. (English)
- Johanna Drucker, "The Self-Conscious Codex: Artists' Books and Electronic Media", SubStance 26(1): "Metamorphoses of the Book", 1997, pp 93-112. (English)
- Stefan Klima, Artists Books: A Critical Survey of the Literature, New York: Granary Books, 1998, 104 pp. Excerpt, . (English)
- Artist/Author: Contemporary Artists' Books, eds. Cornelia Lauf and Clive Phillpot, New York: Art Publishers, 1998. (English)
- Renée Riese Hubert, Judd D. Hubert, The Cutting Edge of Reading: Artists’ Books, New York: Granary Books, 1999, 280 pp.  (English)
- Guy Schraenen, Out of Print: An Archive as Artistic Concept, Bremen: Neues Museum Weserburg, 2001, 255 pp. Catalogue. Selection of 700 works and documents drawn from the Archive for Small Press & Communication (ASPC) founded by Anner Marsily and Guy Schraenen in 1974.  (English)
- Margit Rowell, Deborah Wye, The Russian Avant-Garde Book, 1910-1934, New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2002, 304 pp.   (English)
- El libro ruso de vanguardia, 1910-1934, New York: Museum of Modern Art, and Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, 2003, 304 pp. (Spanish)
- Jaroslav Andel, Avant Garde Book Design, 1900-1950, New York: Delano Greenidge, 2002, 388 pp. Review: Margolin (DI 2003). (English)
- Rob Perrée, Cover to Cover: The Artist's Book in Perspective, Rotterdam: NAi Publishers, 2002. (English)
- Duncan Chappell, "Typologising the Artist's Book", Art Libraries 28:4 (2003), pp 12-20. (English)
- Matthias Herrmann, Artists' Books, Revisited, Toronto: Art Metropole, 2005, 72 pp. Catalogue.  (English)
- Art Libraries 32(2): "Artists' ́Books", 2007. Abstracts. (English)
- In Numbers: Serial Publications by Artists Since 1955, eds. Philip E Aarons and Andrew Roth, Zurich: JRP Ringier, 2009, 440 pp.  (English)
- Guy Schraenen, Un coup de livres (una tirada de libros). Libros de artista y otras publicaciones del Archive for Small Press & Communication. Artists' Books and other Publications from the Archive for Small Press & Communication, Madrid: Fundación Juan March, 2010, 133+44 pp. Catalogue.  (Spanish)/(English)
- Sarah Bodman, Tom Sowden, A Manifesto for the Book, Bristol: Impact Press, 2010, 185 pp. (English)
- Thanks for Sharing! Artzine Exhibition and Symposium, ed. Regine Ehleiter, Leipzig: D21 Kunstraum, 2010, 62 pp. Catalogue. (English),(German)
- Anna Sigrídur Arnar, The Book as Instrument: Stéphane Mallarmé, The Artist's Book, and the Transformation of Print Culture, University of Chicago Press, 2011, xi+395 pp.  . Reviews: Salsbury (AiP 2012), Roos (CAA 2012), Norrick-Rühl (PRQ 2012), Wiedenfeld (MLN 2013), Abbott (H-France 2013), Palermo (AB 2013), Melot (BBF 2013 FR). (English)
- Bernhard Cella, Collecting Books: A Selection of Recent Art and Artists' Books Produced in Austria, Bernhard Cella / Hotel Ostblick, 2012, 150 pp.   (English)
- Clive Phillpot, Booktrek: Selected Essays on Artists' Books (1972-2010), ed. Lionel Bovier, Zurich: JRP Ringier, 2013, 286 pp.  (English)
- Danske kunstnerbøger / Danish Artists' Books, eds. Thomas Hvid Kromann, Louise Hold Sidenius, Maria Kjær Themsen and Marianne Vierø, Copenhagen: Møller, and Cologne: Walther König, 2013, 300 pp. (Danish)/(English)
- Art Libraries 38(3): "Artists' ́Publications", 2013. Abstracts. (English)
- Janneke Adema, Gary Hall, "The Political Nature of the Book: On Artists' Books and Radical Open Access", New Formations 78:1, 2013, pp 138-156.   (English)
- Tony White, "The Evolution of Artists’ Publishing", Art Documentation 33:2 (Sep 2014), pp 227-242. (English)
- Annette Gilbert (ed.): Reprint: Appropriation (&) Literature, Wiesbaden: Lux Books, 2014, 580 pp.  (English)
- Antoine Lefebvre, Portrait de l'artiste en éditeur, L'édition comme pratique artistique alternative, Paris: Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2014, 760 pp. PhD dissertation. (French)
- Albert Coers, Kunstkatalog—Katalogkunst. Der Ausstellungskatalog als künstlerisches Medium am Beispiel von Thomas Demand, Tobias Rehberger und Olafur Eliasson, Berlin: De Gruyter, 2015. (German)
- Amanda C.R. Clark, "Contemporary Chinese Artists' Books: New Artistic Voices in a Time of Transition", Art Documentation 34:1 (Spring 2015), pp 15-28. (English)
- The Art of Collaboration: Poets, Artists, Books, eds. Anca Cristofovici and Barbara Montefalcone, Cuneiform Press, 2015, 198 pp. Based on the symposium ‘'Collaboration and the Artist’s Book: a Transatlantic Perspective held at the University of Caen, France, March-April 2011.  (English)
- La Trobe Journal 95: "Creating and Collecting Artists' Books in Australia", eds. Des Cowley, Robert Heather and Anna Welch, Melbourne: State Library Victoria, 2015. (English)
- Annette Gilbert (ed.), Publishing as Artistic Practice, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 304 pp, 2016. TOC, Weinmayr's essay. Workshop.  (English)
- Nicholas Thoburn, Anti-Book: On the Art and Politics of Radical Publishing, University of Minnesota Press, 2016, xvi+372 pp. (English)
- Artists' Books: A Critical Anthology and Sourcebook, ed. Joan Lyons, Utah: Gibbs Smith Publishers, and Visual Studies Workshop Press, 1985. TOC, TOC. (English)
- Everything in the World: A Book Arts Reader, ed. Harry Reese, 2007. For an UCSB class.
- Reading list for artists’ books, compiled from books held in the library at Bower Ashton, UWE Bristol and the Centre for Fine Print Research
- Artists Books, Moore College of Art, Philadelphia, 23 Mar-20 Apr 1973; University Art Museum, U California, Berkeley, 16 Jan-24 Feb 1974. Curated by Dianne Vanderlip; the first major exhibition of artists’ books in the United States; 77pp catalogue published.
- Diamond Leaves:Brilliant Artist Books from Around the World, CAFA Art Museum, Beijing, 2012. Curated by Xu Bing and Marshall Weber. 
- It is not new, it is a book, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Sep 2014-May 2015. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- I call them simply books, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, May-Oct 2015. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- More than a catalogue: The catalogue-boxes of the Museum Abteiberg-Mönchengladbach (1967-1978), Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Oct 2015-Apr 2016. Curated by Guy Schraenen.
- The Electro-Library: European Avant-Garde Magazines from the 1920s, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Mar-Jun 2016. Curated by David Senior.
- Back in Time with Time-Based Works: Artists' Books at Franklin Furnace, 1976–1980, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Sep 2016-Jan 2017. Curated by Martha Wilson, Michael Katchen and David Senior.
- I Am Also not a Book, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Sep 2016-May 2017. Curated by Guy Schraenen.